Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Cross Border Driving

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi Everyone,

does anyone know if it's possible to get dual plates fitted to a Model S for cross border driving? I've asked Tesla and they don't know what happens to the cars after they've been bought - fair enough. So perhaps someone here either has done it, or knows of someone else who's done it?

This is the remaining obstacle to buying one so I hope someone has good news!

Cheers
trainor

I don't see any problem getting dual plates. You might have a hard time charging you Tesla. I got plates for my diesel Q7 but the problem no ULSD in China. I need to bring a 30 liter tank for long trips.

Impatient Chinese Tesla owner decides to build his own charging stations - CNET

Maybe he can find out where this business man is installing the 20 charging stations. He's considering hotels, so it seems like it could be open for other Tesla owners. Although these are not superchargers.

According to this, the charging stations are built already:

Teslas Expansion in China Gets a Local Assist - WSJ

Last edited:
Charging, at least in Shenzhen, shouldn't be an issue. There's a Supercharger already apparently: Shenzhen Supercharger | Tesla Motors

I like the optimism that people think it will be easy to do, but until I see someone else has gone through the inevitable bureaucracy I'm not too sure. The HK transport department website don't seem to say much on the topic, as it's the Guangdong Public Security Bureau that need to approve the car. In theory it should be easy... but I'd still like to see that someone else has done it successfully before trying.