Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Cross Border Lease

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
There's about a 10k difference between US and Canadian leases. Unfortunately, that's 10k CAD premium, even with price adjustment on Friday.

I'm considering having an Aunt that has dual citizenship lease an MS in the US, drive it over the border to our family cottage and leave it here for me to drive.

Anyone thought about doing this?

Some of the issues that come into play include:

Importation into Canada - since she is driving her personal car up and is an American citizen this should get around the blockage put in place by Tesla.
Insurance - assuming her US insurance allows her to drive across North America
Maintenance - this could be a problem if Tesla Canada refused to do the maintenance

This could just be a hair-brained idea but thought I'd see what the consensus was or if anyone had attempted/failed.

It's highly illegal. Tesla has asked the Canadian government to block the import of model s in to Canada, and the government had complied. As such American model s vehicles are not allowed to be imported. There is no legal way around this restriction.
If your aunt brings her car up and leaves it here, she is guilty of smuggling, and if you then try to register it,you will also be guilty of a crime.

Without the RIV paperwork no registry will touch it either, so your odds of success in this illegal venture would be slim.

The car is only legally allowed in the country as long as she is here, and as long as it stays legally registered in the USA. When she leaves, it must leave as well. Registering a vehicle in the USA when it is in fact permanently in Canada is also illegal.

There's about a 10k difference between US and Canadian leases. Unfortunately, that's 10k CAD premium, even with price adjustment on Friday.This could just be a hair-brained idea but thought I'd see what the consensus was or if anyone had attempted/failed.

The headache is not worth 10,000/- you should be happy that TESLA was generous enough to price adjust twice , that in itself is a huge compensation , think wise and be apart of the CANADIAN TESLA COMMUNITY , it will help every bit in the long run for all.
Totally agree with @green1