TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

cross country FSD trip this year?

Discussion in 'Model S' started by Keith909man, Jun 3, 2018.

1. Keith909man

Keith909man Member

Elon Musk said Dec 2017 would be the cross country FSD trip but later said something about it being moved up later on. I can't remember where I saw or read what his new estimate was when that will take place...Does anyone remember what was said last about it? with very few EAP updates lately, I dont see that happening this year personally

2. tpham07

tpham07 Active Member

he said it'll happen this year, then again he said it would happen in dec 2017. so who knows tbh.

3. Derek Kessler

Derek Kessler Member

We won't know until it's successfully happened.

• Like x 1
  4. AMPd

AMPd Active Member

It won’t happen. It just won’t with the current hardware.

5. ucmndd

ucmndd Member

Not gonna happen.

6. BigD0g

BigD0g Active Member

Three months maybe, six months definitely!

• Funny x 4
    • Like x 1
  7. boonedocks

boonedocks Active Member

Three years maybe, six years definitely

• Like x 2
    • Helpful x 1
    • Funny x 1
  8. Snowstorm

Snowstorm Member

Let’s just pretend he never said that. I don’t think it will happen and is not a worthwhile goal to focus on now.

Tesla had to aim high to get high, but sometimes they get too ambitious. This is likely one of those.

I do hope that we’ll get at least some EAP features rolled out, like reliable identification and reaction to stopped objects. No, increased nag is not a step forward.

• Like x 1
  9. Pinot.Noir

Pinot.Noir Member

What year is Westworld, in the "current" time frame? Ah shiit, they're going to kill us all in the end. Glad I didn't pay for FSD!

10. buttershrimp

buttershrimp Click my signature to Go Mad Max Mode

It will happen. I would like to see them do it in the semi.

• Like x 1
  11. Derek Kessler

Derek Kessler Member

No, I will not pretend that Elon didn't say something. He needs to be held accountable for being *repeatedly* overly optimistic in Tesla's timelines. "Overpromise, underdeliver" is a great policy and Elon seems to eternally operate on the flipside of that.

• Like x 3
    • Helpful x 1
  12. J1mbo

J1mbo Active Member

Elon eternally operates "Underpromise and overdeliver"? Are you sure?

13. Phrixotrichus

Phrixotrichus Member

#13 Phrixotrichus, Jun 4, 2018
    Last edited: Jun 4, 2018
    Not a chance this year. Probably never with this hardware setup.

I think the best they could realize in the next 12 months or so is lvl 3 on highways.
    I wouldn`t count on true lvl 4/5 in an affordable car until at least the mid 2020s as that`s what most other manufacturers are estimating.

Ofc, like everyone else, I´d be very happy to be proven wrong here.

• Disagree x 1
  14. TaoJones

TaoJones Beyond Driven

Prerequisite for a non-faked transcontinental FSD journey:

1. Tesla SoC
    2. Starlink with low-latency 24/7 ubiquitous and unfettered bidirectional connectivity for every car in the fleet.
    3. AP3 based upon #1 - and retrofitted to all cars that paid up front for FSD.
    4. For bonus points, Barry White chargers at the 20-ish SCs from Jacksonville to San Diego (just to pick a route at random).

At best, that’s Q2 2020* presaged by an October 2019 event.

So 2 years away yet. Emphasis upon unfaked, unstaged, and reproducible in fairly short order by John/Jane Q. TeslaOwner.

* With Starlink optional since they won’t have 12,000 orbiting, operational and tested critters in the sky by then.

15. Derek Kessler

Derek Kessler Member

I need more sleep.

• Funny x 3
    • Informative x 1
  16. Burnardr

Burnardr Member

It doesn't prove anything even if they do it. They will have mapped the route beyond typical and prerun it many times to fine-tune the software for that particular route. I'll pass on the smoke and mirrors. Just deliver a Model S refresh that people actually care about.

17. J1mbo

J1mbo Active Member

Based on what we know from people who have been digging around in the AP software, it seems likely to me that automatic overtaking of moving vehicles (using the rear-facing cams) is a good bet for a major feature release in 2018.

Integration with navigation to enable on-ramp to off-ramp would also seem possible, now that they have their own nav solution, but less likely in 2018. Look how long it is taking to get the nav rolled out globally. (Nice to see some measure of caution here, tbh).

Showing traffic signs on the display would be a "quick win" IMO - stop signs, traffic lights, school areas, etc. - but Tesla may not consider this to be safe for drivers who would probably expect the system to react to the signs while AP is enabled.

Any thoughts of L3 can probably be put to bed until Tesla have a fool-proof solution for dealing with immobile lane obstructions (fire trucks, parked cars, etc.).

18. Snowstorm

Snowstorm Member

No, this needs to be for all cars post AP2, not just those who paid for FSD. FSD hardware in every car was a major promise, and the possibility to enable FSD in the future without HW change for $3000 was a selling point and decision factor which was heavily promoted.

• Helpful x 1
    • Like x 1
  19. ItsNotAboutTheMoney

ItsNotAboutTheMoney Well-Known Member

In December 2017 Elon Musk said 2 years again, so that'd be by end of December 2019.

It's simpler if you just ignore what he says about it. He's just guessing/selling/hyping/lying (delete as appropriate). Tesla's trying, but they have no idea whether they'll succeed.

20. Kanting

Kanting Member

Somehow they faked it so eventually they will make it!