Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

cross country FSD trip this year?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
No, this needs to be for all cars post AP2, not just those who paid for FSD. FSD hardware in every car was a major promise, and the possibility to enable FSD in the future without HW change for $3000 was a selling point and decision factor which was heavily promoted.

$4000 you mean.

I could see a free retrofit when people buy the upgrade, but not a proactive replacement of all AP2 cars. That would just be silly.

Tesla quietly increases price of Autopilot by 20%, says it’s to better reflect its value

Don't forget that when AP1's package price increased 20% to "better reflect the value of the package", the after-market activation price also went up for everybody. Doesn't seem like anyone tried to sue Tesla with the whole "well being able to turn it on after-market for exactly $3000 was a primary decision factor for buying this car"…. So for now, yes, Tesla can change the after-market option prices for your car, or even remove their availability (such as with the high-amperage charger upgrade, Ludicrous Mode retrofit, Model X non-premium Bioweapon Defense Mode, etc). They're not covered under the MVPA you and Tesla agreed to at the time of purchase.

Tesla quietly increases price of Autopilot by 20%, says it’s to better reflect its value

Don't forget that when AP1's package price increased 20% to "better reflect the value of the package", the after-market activation price also went up for everybody. Doesn't seem like anyone tried to sue Tesla with the whole "well being able to turn it on after-market for exactly $3000 was a primary decision factor for buying this car"…. So for now, yes, Tesla can change the after-market option prices for your car, or even remove their availability (such as with the high-amperage charger upgrade, Ludicrous Mode retrofit, Model X non-premium Bioweapon Defense Mode, etc). They're not covered under the MVPA you and Tesla agreed to at the time of purchase.

Anyone that thinks Tesla can't unilaterally increase the upgrade price for FSD is delusional. If you haven't bought it, Tesla can charge whatever they want when you do want to buy it. There is no contractual right of first refusal before a price increase. Its an option and its only enforceable after the buyer purchases the service as long as Tesla keeps the option open. So if anyone actually wants the $4k (or $3k at purchase) price, buy it before it goes up (or down). That locks it in.

Anyone that thinks Tesla can't unilaterally increase the upgrade price for FSD is delusional. If you haven't bought it, Tesla can charge whatever they want when you do want to buy it. There is no contractual right of first refusal before a price increase. Its an option and its only enforceable after the buyer purchases the service as long as Tesla keeps the option open. So if anyone actually wants the $4k (or $3k at purchase) price, buy it before it goes up (or down). That locks it in.

I wholeheartedly agree. Heck I'd go a step further:

We pretty much know that, especially if you have AP2 and not AP2.5, it's extremely extremely likely that it will require a retrofit of the AP ECU. And honestly I think it's more likely that Tesla will want to use their in-house silicon when that's ready, and maybe the color side repeaters too. Tesla in my area charges $400 in labor to slap 4 tires on your car and align it, I can only imagine how much the bill will be for ripping apart your dash and retrofitting a new APE unit.

If you think you want FSD (or a sub-feature like red light / stop sign stopping) during the time you own the car, I'd say it's wise to lock in at either the $3k or $4k price. I'd only skip out on it if you genuinely believe you'll want a new car before FSD becomes useful/available to you, or really don't believe Tesla can do it.

Hopefully, the price of FSD won't go up by the end of this year, before I get my Model 3. In any case, I plan to buy FSD with my Model 3 later this year for the very reason you stated. I know FSD won't be available in full, but I want to lock in the price ASAP, especially now that we know that V9 will start introducing some self-driving features. I feel like Dec 2018, when I should be getting my M3, is a good time to lock in the price for FSD, as we start getting a couple self-driving features and in case the price does go up.

Nailed it (maybe)
Tesla on Twitter I do not see a driver in that video

nah. I am sure there is a driver, we just can't see him/her because of the light reflection on the windshield.

Furthermore, the coast to coast FSD demo will probably be done in a S or X since that is where the bulk of autopilot and FSD has been focused on. As far as a I know, the semi has autopilot but we have not really heard anything about it doing FSD so I doubt they would use a semi to test it.

It doesn't prove anything even if they do it. They will have mapped the route beyond typical and prerun it many times to fine-tune the software for that particular route. I'll pass on the smoke and mirrors. Just deliver a Model S refresh that people actually care about.
Not according to his last quote. He said he could do that now (meaning earlier this year) but wanted to wait until it could be done on any route. You can believe him or not but that was what he said.

In December 2017 Elon Musk said 2 years again, so that'd be by end of December 2019.

It's simpler if you just ignore what he says about it. He's just guessing/selling/hyping/lying (delete as appropriate). Tesla's trying, but they have no idea whether they'll succeed.
@Keith909man is correct. Early this year (2018 0 - I believe first qtr) Elon said he could do it now but would have to really pre-setup the route and wanted to wait when he could do it on any route. I believe he also used the famous 3-6 month time frame.

I believe you are talking about another discussion not related to the cross country trip. I am not even sure he was talking specifically about Tesla but come be.

I added FSD to the new Inventory car I've just purchased.

The increase in monthly cost over the 4 year period was little more than the price difference between buying now or later so it made good sense to get it added before delivery and lock in the price and the promise to upgrade hardware if necessary...