Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

cross country FSD trip this year?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Elon Musk said Dec 2017 would be the cross country FSD trip but later said something about it being moved up later on. I can't remember where I saw or read what his new estimate was when that will take place...Does anyone remember what was said last about it? with very few EAP updates lately, I dont see that happening this year personally

Let’s just pretend he never said that. I don’t think it will happen and is not a worthwhile goal to focus on now.

Tesla had to aim high to get high, but sometimes they get too ambitious. This is likely one of those.

I do hope that we’ll get at least some EAP features rolled out, like reliable identification and reaction to stopped objects. No, increased nag is not a step forward.

Reactions: Langhorne
Let’s just pretend he never said that. I don’t think it will happen and is not a worthwhile goal to focus on now.
No, I will not pretend that Elon didn't say something. He needs to be held accountable for being *repeatedly* overly optimistic in Tesla's timelines. "Overpromise, underdeliver" is a great policy and Elon seems to eternally operate on the flipside of that.

Not a chance this year. Probably never with this hardware setup.

I think the best they could realize in the next 12 months or so is lvl 3 on highways.
I wouldn`t count on true lvl 4/5 in an affordable car until at least the mid 2020s as that`s what most other manufacturers are estimating.

Ofc, like everyone else, I´d be very happy to be proven wrong here.

Last edited:
  • Disagree
Reactions: Bebop
Prerequisite for a non-faked transcontinental FSD journey:

1. Tesla SoC
2. Starlink with low-latency 24/7 ubiquitous and unfettered bidirectional connectivity for every car in the fleet.
3. AP3 based upon #1 - and retrofitted to all cars that paid up front for FSD.
4. For bonus points, Barry White chargers at the 20-ish SCs from Jacksonville to San Diego (just to pick a route at random).

At best, that’s Q2 2020* presaged by an October 2019 event.

So 2 years away yet. Emphasis upon unfaked, unstaged, and reproducible in fairly short order by John/Jane Q. TeslaOwner.

* With Starlink optional since they won’t have 12,000 orbiting, operational and tested critters in the sky by then.

It doesn't prove anything even if they do it. They will have mapped the route beyond typical and prerun it many times to fine-tune the software for that particular route. I'll pass on the smoke and mirrors. Just deliver a Model S refresh that people actually care about.

Based on what we know from people who have been digging around in the AP software, it seems likely to me that automatic overtaking of moving vehicles (using the rear-facing cams) is a good bet for a major feature release in 2018.

Integration with navigation to enable on-ramp to off-ramp would also seem possible, now that they have their own nav solution, but less likely in 2018. Look how long it is taking to get the nav rolled out globally. (Nice to see some measure of caution here, tbh).

Showing traffic signs on the display would be a "quick win" IMO - stop signs, traffic lights, school areas, etc. - but Tesla may not consider this to be safe for drivers who would probably expect the system to react to the signs while AP is enabled.

Any thoughts of L3 can probably be put to bed until Tesla have a fool-proof solution for dealing with immobile lane obstructions (fire trucks, parked cars, etc.).

AP3 based upon #1 - and retrofitted to all cars that paid up front for FSD.
No, this needs to be for all cars post AP2, not just those who paid for FSD. FSD hardware in every car was a major promise, and the possibility to enable FSD in the future without HW change for $3000 was a selling point and decision factor which was heavily promoted.

• Helpful
Reactions: Bebop and Xd85
Elon Musk said Dec 2017 would be the cross country FSD trip but later said something about it being moved up later on. I can't remember where I saw or read what his new estimate was when that will take place...Does anyone remember what was said last about it? with very few EAP updates lately, I dont see that happening this year personally

In December 2017 Elon Musk said 2 years again, so that'd be by end of December 2019.

It's simpler if you just ignore what he says about it. He's just guessing/selling/hyping/lying (delete as appropriate). Tesla's trying, but they have no idea whether they'll succeed.