Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Cross Country in Model 3?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My wife and I will be going to SoCal this summer from NJ and are seriously considering driving rather than flying, especially since we could then bring our 2 dogs. The question is, should I take my new Model 3 SR+ or take my trusty old 2002 4Runner that has already made the trip before. I know that it is completely possible to take the Tesla, but practicality wise...?
Pros: Comfort, novelty...
Cons: Increased travel time, range anxiety when going off path (to sight see), space (2 people, 2 dogs, and stuff).

I am looking for advice from people with personal experience, should I just play it safe and take the good ole Toyota?

I have a long range, but I wouldn’t even consider taking any other car on a road trip except the Tesla now.
Even if the mini van is easier space wise, I would be miserable the entire drive, knowing I could be in the model 3. :)
Others like Kyle from “Out of Spec Motoring”
has taken his two large dogs in the car on many trips.

Take the fun car. !!

I have the SR+ and made a 6100 mile trip. Some time was spent off the beaten path with no Supercharger Stations (SS) in sight. The longest distance between SS was 206 miles and it was not pretty. Even though I had started in 101F temps with 100% charge and driving 5 mph below the speed limit, toward the end I was holding up traffic on a 2-lane highway and going 55 mph. I had to pull off on a couple really hairy spots to let the traffic past. I made it with 4% left in the tank. Use percentages. The miles range is meaningless and very misleading.

However, If you are just sticking to the interstate it's easy. Just follow the in-car navigation to your final destination for the day/trip. Its that simple. I always charge to at least 60% even if the car nav is saying charge to 15% unless there are people waiting. Its nice to have the options. Some SS aren't in a good location to grab a bite or use a restroom.

The first leg of 2,700 miles did not take that much longer as almost all SS were bathroom, eating stops or overnight stops anyways. So not much time was added to the trip. The SR+ battery fills up faster then the LR and so we are in and out faster.

While charging input your next destination, drag downwards on the nav list till you can see the estimated battery charge at the destination and make sure you will have enough charge left to continue. Otherwise you could end up with 10% left and no a fast charger in sight.

The advantage of lane keeping and self-adjusting cruise control makes the drive a breeze. Even when I had EAP I turned off auto lane change to make the drive more relaxing.

Plus, you will impress and amaze your friends when you arrive and just shrug and say "No big deal. It was easy and the best long distance drive of my life". Then be sure to give them your referral code for when they run out to buy a Tesla.

Enjoy!

Last edited:
I think specifically for you and this trip, I'd think about the dogs. Are they large breed dogs? If so, I would think the 4runner would be better for them just in the space department. If they're medium/small, then I think you shouldn't have a problem. A properly maintained 2004 4runner shouldn't have issues making that trip, but anything can happen with older vehicles.

If you haven't considered it, one advantage of the M3 is being able to leave the A/C for the dogs and have the vehicle secure while you go out and do what you need to do. Another plus would be sleeping in the M3 overnight with HVAC available to you to save a few bucks (recommend doing this right next to a supercharger or have a supercharger very close by...not parked in a supercharger spot).

Sight seeing remote locations will need extra planning with the SR+, or it may be impossible all together if supercharger or destination/3rd party chargers locations aren't ideal.

In the end, autopilot is what pushed my wife and me into driving our SR+ in our last 1100 mile trip. We chose the SR+ over my wife's much roomier and comfortable Yukon, and we had both of our young boys with us.

From my experience, definitely take the Tesla! There are enough SuperChargers and the 20-30 min breaks are nice. The only advice I have is to realize that your mileage at freeway speeds will be less than predicted. A way to improve on this mileage is to use Cruise Control and follow another car (preferably bigger car) with a following distance of 1. If you are getting range anxiety, you can also slow down and your mileage will improve significantly. With such an efficient car, wind resistance plays a much bigger role, goes up by speed^3, and can be very variable.

I did a 5000 mile north-south-north trip from Canada to Palm Springs in our Model X three years ago with even fewer Superchargers than today with my family and my 9 and 11 years old kids still talk about how fun the trip it was. Stopping every few hours to stretch out the legs or to grab a bite and use a restroom while charging was great. We stopped at some wonderful places that we would have never explored in a fossil car. You have to let your dogs out for a walk every few hours anyways, so take the 3 and use a better route planner before leaving. We had no regret taking our X loaded to the brim with luggage for our 16 day roadtrip. Range anxiety was not an issue 3 years ago and even less so today.

I have a 4runner and a Model3. I've made three round trips in the Model3 between Maine and Oklahoma (1765 miles each way) in the past 6 months, one trip back to Maine was with no stops except to Supercharge (and nap while doing so). Though it takes longer than the ICE car, it is so much more pleasurable in the Model3 and less fatiguing. I barely trust Autopilot, and would use it only intermittently, but even driving 'manually' it is a lot nicer than the 4runner. While supercharging, be sure your next SC stop is fully functional. I've never been burned but it could conceivably happen that a SC is out of order. Also, slowing down 10 mph can make a big difference in range if you start getting antsy about it, as can drafting behind a large truck 3 car lengths. Traveling with small dogs is easy. A a number of times I've stayed at motels with Tesla destination chargers, and was able to leave the dogs in the car in Dog mode while plugged into the charger. That works a treat if the motel doesn't accommodate pets or charges an exorbitant fee.

Reactions: M3BlueGeorgia
Sounds like fun. Adventure into the unknown can be lots of fun. No reservations as some call it.

Have done at least 9 cross country trips in Tesla's. Some a month or more. Sleeping in car. In a tent. Occasional hotel/motel. Most often in a National Forest campground. Take your dingos. Maybe buy a dog sling or really think the dog set up ahead of time. Mine likes to play dead in the front seat and refuses to move.

One thing is for certain. The plane trip hopefully won't be remembered 2 years from now. The road trip has so many touch points. It will be a memory for the 4 of you for a long time......:)

Check out bringfido.com

Taking away the virus thing, you will remember your first road trip in your Tesla, but taking the 4 runner will just be another boring slog.

Owners soon find that stopping to Supercharge is not a big issue. Most multi-task while they charge. Get something to eat, use the bathroom, take a power nap, check some emails etc.

4 runner will be a big lumbering gas sucking beast compared to your nimble Tesla. Autopilot will also take much of the drugery out of the trip. Fold down the back seat to provide a comfy place for the dogs. Don't forget, you can also use the frunk for extra storage or doggy stuff.

Take the Tesla.

My wife and I will be going to SoCal this summer from NJ and are seriously considering driving rather than flying, especially since we could then bring our 2 dogs. The question is, should I take my new Model 3 SR+ or take my trusty old 2002 4Runner that has already made the trip before. I know that it is completely possible to take the Tesla, but practicality wise...?
Cons: Increased travel time, range anxiety when going off path (to sight see), space (2 people, 2 dogs, and stuff).

I am looking for advice from people with personal experience, should I just play it safe and take the good ole Toyota?
I'd also run some simulations in ABRP, because you may find the time spent stopping at superchargers to be too much, not allowing you as much time to go off the beaten path. And as many have pointed out, the car makes driving long distance alot easier, if you have AP.

Reactions: M3BlueGeorgia

I would never take my SR+ on that kind of drive, sounds like a horror show. I'd bet the SR+ wouldn't have the range to get from supercharger to supercharger, but that's just a guess.

I'd bet the SR+ wouldn't have the range to get from supercharger to supercharger, but that's just a guess.

That's an incorrect guess. There might be an occasional leg where you'd need a little extra care, but typically you're only going 100-150 miles between stops. A SR+ only adds like 3 hours to this trip compared to a long range. 3 hours over what's already a many day trip is inconsequential. I'd take the Tesla personally. I like the pace of supercharger stops on road trips.

Real world, you have 170 highway miles that you can realistically do. 250 miles is 2.5 miles every percent. for a 10pct buffer, you would want 25 miles. Normal charge to 90% with a 10pct buffer, that gives you 200 miles. On average, your highway efficiency is approx 80%. So, 170 times 1.2 is 204. I say it's doable and fun.

If you are like me, it was fun planning routes however, gone are the days of breaking out the Atlas road maps. EV travel allows you to get back to the basics of planning and figuring your stops. Get some tools on your side, Abetterrouteplanner, the plug share app, superchargers app and so on. Look at RV Parky for you can always charge at a park site with a 14:50 adapter.
Speaking of that, bring a 120 extension cord so to charge anywhere. This is helpful at hotels that don't have chargers. Overnight stay can give you 40 to 50 miles.

Just do the numbers and feel good about it or just let the incar Nav do all the work. We have about 70K of traveling behind us with two Tesla on many road trips. The Model S 75 did just fine.

Reactions: puckpurnell
I would never take my SR+ on that kind of drive, sounds like a horror show. I'd bet the SR+ wouldn't have the range to get from supercharger to supercharger, but that's just a guess.

Seriously wrong.

The Supercharger network seems setup the accommodate 240 EPA mile range Model S variants, so the SR+ should work well.

At times, going long distances in our LR/RWD, we find ourselves stopping more frequently than we'd prefer because the Superchargers are closer together than we'd like, but not so close together we can skip every-other one, especially when you get away from major cities and out onto rural Freeways.