Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Cross Country NY to LA road trip with V9 FSD

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I am driving from Salt Lake to upstate NY, leaving over the weekend in my LR. I recently did the drive from SF to SLC, with a bike on top. I had to stop at almost every supercharger. I am struggling to get everything I need to transport in the car this time, including the bike because the loss of range was terrible. And the range is bad enough to begin with -- as others discussed, nowhere near what is advertised given the speeds on the interstate, range loss over 30 months, and the fact that I will turn on the heat when the cabin temp falls below 66. Tesla says It will take 41 hours, including charging stops, to cover the 2000 miles -- assuming all meals/bathroom breaks are during charging stops. If I put the bike on top, I anticipate it will be at least 45 hours. Compared to an ICE car, this is nearly 50% more time. Discouraging.

Have you considered shipping the bike? Are you really planning your trip using Tesla as your guide? Have you considered using ABRP? When I punch in my LR-AWD from Salt Lake to Albany, at 115% speed, I get 36h 21m, including 18 stops, no bike. For me, an ICE would take just as long. That's averaging 61mph with the stops and 73mph without the stops, fairly normal for ICE driving when you factor in stops for gas, toilet, food, and coffee.

Last edited:
Reactions: MorrisonHiker
Good idea. I actually started looking into the possibility today. It's an expensive proposition, driven in large measure by the exorbitant cost of insurance (for what is a pricey bike) which puts the shipping price at a few hundred dollars Fedex air. But still may do it. One downside is that I was planning to stop mid-day along the way for some short rides of a couple of hours. Would make the journey a lot more pleasant.

Good idea. I actually started looking into the possibility today. It's an expensive proposition, driven in large measure by the exorbitant cost of insurance (for what is a pricey bike) which puts the shipping price at a few hundred dollars Fedex air. But still may do it. One downside is that I was planning to stop mid-day along the way for some short rides of a couple of hours. Would make the journey a lot more pleasant.
BTW, what's the efficiency at 65mph or whatever highway speed you drive when you have the bike on top?

How do you all have money for these cross countrh trips, let alone the time lol

I'm now a teacher but had another full time job for 8 years I traveled around the world for and saved up along with investing, plus I get summers off and continue to get paid during those 2 months which allows me to make this happen. Traveling is one of the most important parts of life for me so I make sure to save up for trips like these.

• Funny
Reactions: MorrisonHiker
Over the years, I have done about 8 cross country road trips, the last one being in 2010. Back then, my cars were all ICE. Most of the trips were in a 1990 Eagle Talon TSi AWD - a little known but fantastic 2+2 sports car. My last one was in a 2008 Volvo C30. All trips were work related. I live in MA but back then, I often had month's long projects in L.A. I would usually take about 5 days to do the trip. Once I did it in less than 3 days. I mostly drove the interstates because of time constraints, but I tried a number of routes: i-81 & i-40; or various routes to i-70, then i-70 to i-15; or i-80. I never had a chance to do i-90 across Minnesota, North Dakota, Montana, etc. It was just too far out of the way. Having said all that, i-81 thru the Shenandoah Valley is beautiful and so is the first stretch of i-40 thru Tennessee, but once across the Mississippi River, I found i-40 to be boring at the bestt and often quite depressing. Likewise, much of i-80 east of the Rockies is very boring. My favorite route thru the west was on i-70 and i-15. The scenery west of Denver and all the way to just short of Vegas is wonderful.
Thanks for this I will look into it more to see if it works with the national parks I'm planning on visiting on my way out to LA!

Does anyone know if it is worth while to bring the Modern Spare tire kit? It's about $400 but it would feel nice to have the peace of mind in case I got stuck somewhere with low battery power left not having to rely on having cell service or to wait for AAA or Tesla roadside. It's 30-45 lbs.

Also for those who have made the trip, is it worth packing up my Exped mattress to put in frunk each day or to leave the back laid out flat for space and save time? Any downfalls to that?

Does anyone know if it is worth while to bring the Modern Spare tire kit? It's about $400 but it would feel nice to have the peace of mind in case I got stuck somewhere with low battery power left not having to rely on having cell service or to wait for AAA or Tesla roadside. It's 30-45 lbs.

Also for those who have made the trip, is it worth packing up my Exped mattress to put in frunk each day or to leave the back laid out flat for space and save time? Any downfalls to that?
An alternative might be to take a jack and tire plug kit instead. It wouldn't work in the case of a blow-out or major tire damage but would help if you ran over road debris that caused a leak. I've driven over 300,000 in my life and have never had a major issue that couldn't be fixed with a plug. There was one slow leak on the sidewall that couldn't be plugged. It was a very slow leak and I was able to just add a few PSI to the tire every day or two before I eventually took it in for a new one.

An alternative might be to take a jack and tire plug kit instead. It wouldn't work in the case of a blow-out or major tire damage but would help if you ran over road debris that caused a leak. I've driven over 300,000 in my life and have never had a major issue that couldn't be fixed with a plug. There was one slow leak on the sidewall that couldn't be plugged. It was a very slow leak and I was able to just add a few PSI to the tire every day or two before I eventually took it in for a new one.

Is it easy to use? Any suggested links you can send for a good affordable tire plug kit set?

Also another question I had, I was told I should tint my car windows to prevent internal heat and having to blast AC and save battery as tint would keep car cool since I will be traveling throughout the summer. Any thoughts on this and if yes, which is the best car tint to use for Model 3? It would be nice if I could maybe get a combo tint that both darkens the windows as well as reducing heat.

Is it easy to use? Any suggested links you can send for a good affordable tire plug kit set?
Here are a couple examples:
https://www.amazon.com/Tire-Patch-Punctures-Motorcycle-Tractor-Trailer/dp/B08MKR17WC

You can get even cheaper, but they don't have all the "extras": https://www.amazon.com/OEMTOOLS-26683-Repairs-Tubeless-Lawnmowers/dp/B07NDG6CW4

Try watching some YouTube videos and see if you think it's something you could handle. Check some of the posts by @dgpcolorado , such as Supercharger - Kremmling, CO . He might be able to recommend a better kit or different tools.

Following this thread makes me want to plan another Tesla road trip to the West Coast. We just did a 2400 mile, NY-FL-NY road trip this past week and I loved every minute of it.

As far as the tire plug kit, practice on a bike tire to get you comfortable. It's not hard as David mentioned.
Okay good plan, Sounds like I should skip the Modern Spare tire kit and get the plug kit then to save space and weight. This is all why I'm starting my planning now instead of late May.

My next question is whether I need to get my car tinted for the summer cross country journey and if so what the best percentage and brand to go with is. I want it to be legal of course and to look nice as well as reduce heat as I plan on doing a chrome delete at the same time. I'm researching this forum for model 3 tint and haven't come to any final conclusion yet. If anyone knows of a good tint spot around NYC let me know, so far I know of Art of Tint

Not personally a big fan of tints on my cars, but I fully understand the necessity when trying to avoid heating up the cabin and overworking your AC. When I lived in Vegas, I had to tint my car (2007-2011) and at that time, the bees knees on tints was this brand called Huper Optik, not sure if they're still around. It was pricier than other options, but it was rated very high in rejecting/reflecting back heat.

What's your range on your M3? Is it an LR?

EDIT: I just Googled and it turns out, they're still around.

Last edited: