Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Cross Country Rally to TMC Connect 2014

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Count me in too!

However, I'm not sure if the I-70 or I-90 routes will be completed by next July - superchargers seem to be delayed. However, the I-80 corridor should be up by then (supposedly by year-end 2013). So I would go from Chicago (hometown) to IA, NE, WY, etc. - basically along I-80 to San Fran.

I guess this goes along with the previously-posted idea of a couple of caravans and a couple of different routes.

Anyway, the only time I would have is if the superchargers were available the entire way - I would not be able to swing it if we had to rely on Nema 14-50s.

Count me in too!

However, I'm not sure if the I-70 or I-90 routes will be completed by next July - superchargers seem to be delayed. However, the I-80 corridor should be up by then (supposedly by year-end 2013). So I would go from Chicago (hometown) to IA, NE, WY, etc. - basically along I-80 to San Fran.

I guess this goes along with the previously-posted idea of a couple of caravans and a couple of different routes.

Anyway, the only time I would have is if the superchargers were available the entire way - I would not be able to swing it if we had to rely on Nema 14-50s.

elecblue

Tesla took the verbiage off the supercharger page about I80 being done by the end of the year. It has been mentioned that Elon decided that the route that would be ready by winter would be one he took a long time ago across the country. If you look at the supercharger map and move the slider to "Winter 2013" the route I described via I70 & I90 is the one that should be done.

Now of course Tesla might be delayed - we'll have to see..... But I'm putting my money that by July of next year, we should be able to do that route using just superchargers....

Aaron

OK Guys -

Here is a google map I just did, very rough, based upon the "Winter 2013" Supercharger Map. 3,378 Miles, 50 Hours of Driving.... Newark, DE to San Jose, CA.

Link:

https://www.google.com/maps?saddr=I-95+S&daddr=I-76+W+to:I-76+W+to:I-80+W+to:I-90+W+to:I-90+W+to:I-39+N+to:I-90+W+to:I-90+W+to:I-90+W+to:I-90+W+to:I-90+W+to:US-18+W+to:I-25+S+to:I-25+S+to:I-70+W+to:I-70+W+to:I-70+W+to:I-70+W+to:I-15+S+to:I-15+S+to:I-15+S+to:S+Wheeler+Ridge+Rd+to:I-5+N+to:I-880+N&hl=en&ll=38.754083,-90.263672&spn=19.635931,37.529297&sll=37.392255,-121.884041&sspn=0.156569,0.293198&geocode=FZE2XQIdcgp9-w%3BFWUDYwIdOhlS-w%3BFbJRcQIdreww-w%3BFSKlegIdXAYD-w%3BFc2LegIdXOvL-g%3BFQykhAIdPa-y-g%3BFROClwId8naq-g%3BFYwsnwIdn-Sb-g%3BFe6OmgIdqA5w-g%3BFdx6mQIdEYc7-g%3BFRYInQIdqbYR-g%3BFST8oAIdqeXY-Q%3BFR7nlAIdjOXP-Q%3BFdCPgQIdZlq--Q%3BFW9MawIdGc69-Q%3BFV2pXAIdJn6t-Q%3BFXWoWwIdtKCZ-Q%3BFQDjUQIdeVVy-Q%3BFbDbTgIdyAJR-Q%3BFbm4NgId0wY8-Q%3BFbdKIQIda8cf-Q%3BFafSEwId_2sF-Q%3BFTnZFQIdQgrp-A%3BFSElKQIdNkLV-A%3BFVwJOwIdMre7-A&mra=mi&mrsp=24&sz=12&t=m&z=5

Photo:
Screen Shot 2013-07-23 at 8.07.39 AM.png

Aaron

Nice. Did you figure out from the map how many days it's going to take?

Nigel,

Haven't yet - thats step 2. Since it (hopefully) will be all supercharger based, if we wanted to do it in 5 days, we would have to cover 675 miles a day - which I think is doable!

Each day would be a long day for sure - figuring 45 minutes to an hour for each supercharging stop - and we would need to do at least 2 charges per day. Add to that 10-12 hours of driving per day, that would make for a 12-14 hour driving day...

Aaron

- - - Updated - - -

Not the most direct route :(

50 hours one-way...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2

Andrew

I think this (might) be our only option by next summer. The "2014" part of the slider on the supercharger map is too vague to guess when those additional chargers will be in place. I really wish they had decided to do the I80 direct route all the way to SF...

Aaron

- - - Updated - - -

But probably the only one in 2014. I think 2015 will be the year we see hundreds of Teslas return home for Teslive.

bollar

A sight to behold I'm sure! I look forward to the day..... Hundreds of Model S's!

Aaron

Last edited:
Aaron,
How many miles do you think is practical per day? I find 600 miles in a ICE to be about the limit (and that's out west without silly east coast traffic). 600 miles with supercharging will make for a long day, and then to do 6 in a row....

I bet if a bunch of you guys from the east coast got together and could fill a enclosed car transport, you could get your cars back home rather cheaply and fly home (saving vacation time).

-Dennis

Aaron,
How many miles do you think is practical per day? I find 600 miles in a ICE to be about the limit (and that's out west without silly east coast traffic). 600 miles with supercharging will make for a long day, and then to do 6 in a row....

I bet if a bunch of you guys from the east coast got together and could fill a enclosed car transport, you could get your cars back home rather cheaply and fly home (saving vacation time).

-Dennis

Dennis

And miss out on all the fun?

I've driven to FL a few times in 2 days at about 650/miles per day, so I think it's possible - and that was without as many rest stops to do a little body "recharging". Now with us having to stop at least twice for almost an hour to charge up the car, it will help to relax us.

Along with a lot of other adventurous guys & gals, It will be a lot of fun and not too tiresome....

Aaron

I think it's possible, but it will be challenge for most people. I think we will all gain more knowledge over the next 12 months about road trips with Superchargers. Charger location will be critical and the size (number of stalls) will be important too. I expect the ones in South Dakota for instance to be only the minimum sized (2 chargers, 4 stalls), so the car time for 4 cars will be more like 2 hours at least if 4 cars show up together.

We can just plan maybe a 6 day journey and a slower 7 day version, and people can choose.

plus, will need some buffer time for car/human issues.

Just reviewed the supercharger map against planning routes for a southern trip from FL to Fremont - 2014 is definitely out of the question (unless you drive a long circuitous route) even if all the SCs were installed in the first half of the year. Looks like 2015 then, although maybe picking up my Model X and driving it home could actually be a reality.

Just reviewed the supercharger map against planning routes for a southern trip from FL to Fremont - 2014 is definitely out of the question (unless you drive a long circuitous route) even if all the SCs were installed in the first half of the year. Looks like 2015 then, although maybe picking up my Model X and driving it home could actually be a reality.

Oh, I hadn't thought about picking up the X in person. Unfortunately CA's tax rules will nip that in the bud. Accepting delivery in Nevada is viable.

Back in December Nevada was out until Tesla has a Dealership license in the state. I don't know if that has happened yet. I can tell you from personal experience that Portland OR works quite well :).

Peter

Oh, I hadn't thought about picking up the X in person. Unfortunately CA's tax rules will nip that in the bud. Accepting delivery in Nevada is viable.

Aaron... I have an idea... not promising good one... this looks very reminiscent of the Cannonball Run... but we need to set up hotels along the way ... Id suggest everyone arrive at the same hotel even if they leave staggered ... keeps the group together. and if so, perhaps this can be publicized and/or sponsored?

Your thoughts?

Aaron... I have an idea... not promising good one... this looks very reminiscent of the Cannonball Run... but we need to set up hotels along the way ... Id suggest everyone arrive at the same hotel even if they leave staggered ... keeps the group together. and if so, perhaps this can be publicized and/or sponsored?

Your thoughts?

I'd love if everyone stayed together -- although I suspect there won't be a lot of time to socialize at the hotel in order to keep the pace up (would be going to bed pretty quick).
A hotel with enough charging for everyone probably doesn't exist -- but a bank of J1772's somewhere nearby might ... and we can cart people to/from their cars. Would be nice to give everyone a full overnight charge. Hrm ....

Love the idea of an Electric Cannonball run! It is a race though and EVs are not suited for that particular skill set but there are previous efforts that can be topped.

Looking around it seems Aaron and NoMoGas will find great minds think alike. Look at the Motorcycle effort in 3.5 days last month. It's fun to find other efforts like this Leaf article.

I guess the point is, in the First annual TESLIVE run, what world record(s) are waiting to be broken?

NoMoGas

That was definitely my intention -- keep the group together. At some point, with the help of the great people on this forum, we'll get a hotel list together. Once the dates for Teslive are announced, I can make a block of reservations for the group. Ben is right though - won't give us a lot of time to socialize before we'll want to get to bed. But then again - this is an adventure and whats so bad about living on the edge :cool:

Of course, it would be great, for those of us that would otherwise be driving alone, to find a copilot to possibly share in the driving to make things a little easier.

Aaron

Your thoughts?

- - - Updated - - -

An Electric Cannonball Run does sound like fun, but probably better suited as a dedicated event. Perhaps something that can be planned for the future and possibly even live streamed :tongue: ..... OH, BEN??

I myself am looking forward to driving in a convoy and having (at least a little) chance at socializing/bonding during the trip...

Aaron

Love the idea of an Electric Cannonball run! It is a race though and EVs are not suited for that particular skill set but there are previous efforts that can be topped.

Looking around it seems Aaron and NoMoGas will find great minds think alike. Look at the Motorcycle effort in 3.5 days last month. It's fun to find other efforts like this Leaf article.

I guess the point is, in the First annual TESLIVE run, what world record(s) are waiting to be broken?

NoMoGas

That was definitely my intention -- keep the group together. At some point, with the help of the great people on this forum, we'll get a hotel list together. Once the dates for Teslive are announced, I can make a block of reservations for the group. Ben is right though - won't give us a lot of time to socialize before we'll want to get to bed. But then again - this is an adventure and whats so bad about living on the edge :cool:

Everyone can bring family radio service (FRS) radios. We can be social while driving.

Of course, it would be great, for those of us that would otherwise be driving alone, to find a copilot to possibly share in the driving to make things a little easier.

Aaron

- - - Updated - - -

An Electric Cannonball Run does sound like fun, but probably better suited as a dedicated event. Perhaps something that can be planned for the future and possibly even live streamed :tongue: ..... OH, BEN??

I myself am looking forward to driving in a convoy and having (at least a little) chance at socializing/bonding during the trip...

Aaron

Would enjoy being a one way co-pilot if the timing works out.

But, just for argument's sake...why are you assuming Tesllive 2014 will be held on the west coast of the USA? By next year Tesla will be selling like gangbusters in Europe, and they could sure use some love over there.

Naturally for me living on the east coast of the USA, I'd love to see it on this side in NY or Boston...or maybe even at the newly opened Tesla North Carolina Store after the dealer's give up the fight. :eek:

Cross Country Rally to Teslive 2014

Would enjoy being a one way co-pilot if the timing works out.

But, just for argument's sake...why are you assuming Tesllive 2014 will be held on the west coast of the USA? By next year Tesla will be selling like gangbusters in Europe, and they could sure use some love over there.

Naturally for me living on the east coast of the USA, I'd love to see it on this side in NY or Boston...or maybe even at the newly opened Tesla North Carolina Store after the dealer's give up the fight. :eek:

Some day the east coast and anywhere other than California would be nice. I suspect to have any chance of Elon and other Tesla reps to participate that the conference needs to be near Tesla HQ and the factory. It's also nice for factory tours, etc.