Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Cross Country Rally to TMC Connect 2014

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I agree....

For the immediate future, I suspect Teslive will be in the San Jose area - which is fine since the bay area is so beautiful...

Aaron

Some day the east coast and anywhere other than California would be nice. I suspect to have any chance of Elon and other Tesla reps to participate that the conference needs to be near Tesla HQ and the factory. It's also nice for factory tours, etc.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2

I dont' know if you guys have your final route, but I think you should detour through Colorado and go to one of Kimbal Musk's restuarants (Kimbal is Elon's brother for those that don't know).

Great idea Lori: I just ate at the Kitchen in Boulder last night. Mmmmm...

I've also got two, independent 14-50 circuits in my garage, and a couple of spare bedrooms.

Last edited:
I once organized a cross-country expedition with a group of gliders; we flew from the Mexican border to the Canadian border along the spine of the Continental Divide in seven days. What made the trip so memorable was not just the flying, but the fact that we ended every day grouped around a table in a restaurant somewhere, having dinner and reliving the day's adventures.

If we really want this to be a social event rather than a death march, I believe a sustainable pace would incorporate, at most, three Supercharger stops per day. If there are no gaps in the SC network, overnight charging wouldn't be strictly necessary, which makes planning for the overnight stops much more flexible. If more than five or six cars participate, it may make sense to loosen up the convoy by designating more than one town along the route for each overnight. Otherwise the staggered starts necessary to avoid flooding Superchargers will shorten the feasible daily distance even more.

Are there any Operations Research types out there who care to model this problem?

Steve

Thats very gracious of you!

Once we start the overnight/hotels planning stage, lets see if one of the overnights ends up being in your area!

Good food and good friends are the best!

Aaron

I've also got two, independent 14-50 circuits in my garage, and a couple of spare bedrooms.

Provided that the setup is 4 spots, 2 superchargers (Like Delaware, Darien, and Milford), and that the 120kW update has taken place, I would plan that 4 cars arriving at the same time with 20 miles remaining, and a goal of 190 miles "in the tank" when leaving will take about one hour.

Peter

Sure. Off the top of my head, it looks like it would be difficult to schedule more than four cars per 90 minutes (maybe 60 minutes). We'll need more information on how fast a Supercharger will be able to charge when there are four cars at once.

I think this would be awesome. I would be starting off in St. Louis. I am not too keen on heading up so far north before turning west, but if any of the I-70 corridor SC's are open between STL and Denver, I could meet up with you in the Denver area. Even if not, I could still meander out to Denver utilizing KOA's, etc, before picking up the SC network.

-Lydia

Lydia,
I'll join you. Be great to do the trip again but with company this time.

Liz

- - - Updated - - -

Steve

Thats very gracious of you!

Once we start the overnight/hotels planning stage, lets see if one of the overnights ends up being in your area!

Good food and good friends are the best!

Aaron

Aaron,
For those of us coming from the center of the country, St. Louis, as Lydia said it makes sense to meet up with you all in Denver. We could probably have a mini-road trip group from St. Louis that then merges with the larger group in Denver. Need to run the numbers but it would probably be faster to replicate the route I did out to Denver for the Mt. Evans climb then trying to divert north to hit the SC route.

I'm going to post this on the St. Louis Tesla site with the Tentative July date and San Jose location and see how many other owners are interested in making the trek.

Liz

Steve, Peter, Liz

All good suggestions & comments!

For a 5 day drive, I had calculated 675 miles/day of driving - which would equate to about 3 to 4 supercharger stops. The Google Map I posted earlier in this thread, assuming the superchargers generally end up in those spots, have milage amounts between each point. Most were under 200 miles, several were 140-170 miles apart and some are even closer together (a few less than 100 miles I believe).

Of course, we'll know more when the superchargers are announced, but my hope is that we can plan this so that we *won't* have to charge at night and solely rely on the superchargers...

Liz - love the idea of a group of you meeting up with Steve and then the rest of us in Denver!

Peter - I really love the idea of 60 minute staggered starts of 4 cars each. I'd really *love* to keep the group together, staying at the same hotel each night rather than separated amongst multiple hotels/towns... If the first group gets an early start, hopefully we should all be good and perhaps even have time in the evening to socialize....

Aaron

Provided that the setup is 4 spots, 2 superchargers (Like Delaware, Darien, and Milford), and that the 120kW update has taken place, I would plan that 4 cars arriving at the same time with 20 miles remaining, and a goal of 190 miles "in the tank" when leaving will take about one hour.

Peter

Peter I agree on the spacing however ensuring 20 miles remaining will depend on where the actual SC are built. Some stops you might have a lot more in the tank which would require a shorter stop. The biggest concern to me is that we will definitely need to space the groups of 4 - 50 - 60 minutes apart ( i am assuming all SC's will be 120kw). Finally I agree with Stevezzz we will probably be able to end our days at SC's or near one so we will not have to worry about overnight charging.

Sure. Off the top of my head, it looks like it would be difficult to schedule more than four cars per 90 minutes (maybe 60 minutes). We'll need more information on how fast a Supercharger will be able to charge when there are four cars at once.

I was hoping for an animated, data driven model where you could introduce glitches (ICE'd or offline Supercharger spots, construction zones etc.) and see what happens through the day with various numbers of cars and staggered start strategies.

But that's just me... :biggrin:

How about a simulation.... a la Sim City - animated as you suggest!

:biggrin:

Aaron

I was hoping for an animated, data driven model where you could introduce glitches (ICE'd or offline Supercharger spots, construction zones etc.) and see what happens through the day with various numbers of cars and staggered start strategies.

But that's just me... :biggrin:

Oh, now that is too tempting...I've been watching this thread and wishing I could fly to the east coast and join in, now I'm thinking flying to Colorado and taking you up on your hospitality.

Probably my illness will prevent me from flying, but it's a nice thought..I have another disabled friend that wants me to take a train trip, MUCH less exciting that Model S road trip, but maybe I can get her to coordinate it for next summer, and meet you guys somewhere along the way for the remaining portion to CA? Also a long shot, but a girl's gotta dream...

:biggrin:

We will probably do a cross country EV rally in the future, but it absolutely won't be 2014 !

We are planning the "World's Largest Electric Vehicle Gathering" as the precursor to BC2BC-2014. Clearly, I see synergy in connecting events. This year went VERY well with virtually all of our Tesla powered BC2BC-2013 entries at Teslive on their return home from Mexico.

Of course, we have no idea exactly when Teslive 2014 will be, or where, and ReFuel is another popular EV nerdfest that must be considered.

Because of the size and scope of WLEVG, the venue availability, insurance, police, etc all become larger constraints.

World's Largest Electric Vehicle Assemby, San Diego, California, June 2014

All EV Rally, BC 2 BC (Canada 2 Mexico) June 2013

This is actually kinda awesome. I could easily join the convoy south of Detroit or come across the mid-Michigan Supercharger corridor (I-94) and meet in the Gary area. My daughter lives just northwest of Chicago and I'm really looking forward to being able to make that trip (via Superchargers) some day.

Please join us next year!

Aaron

This is actually kinda awesome. I could easily join the convoy south of Detroit or come across the mid-Michigan Supercharger corridor (I-94) and meet in the Gary area. My daughter lives just northwest of Chicago and I'm really looking forward to being able to make that trip (via Superchargers) some day.

Peter - I really love the idea of 60 minute staggered starts of 4 cars each. I'd really *love* to keep the group together, staying at the same hotel each night rather than separated amongst multiple hotels/towns... If the first group gets an early start, hopefully we should all be good and perhaps even have time in the evening to socialize....

Aaron

I agree 100%. There's a few reasons for this, but that includes safety as everyone checks in and we'll know who should be where and when. Another thing we can do is use either portable or CB radios on a dedicated channel for inter car communications.

Aaron, were you timing the speed out at 60 or 70? Thats going to be a big deal to avoid stacking at the SC stations (although Im not sure why we're so afraid of that)

(although Im not sure why we're so afraid of that)

That's actually an interesting point -- what's the difference between staggering start times and breaking up the group, vs. the whole group showing up and hanging out at the SC while we swap cars around? There are pro's and cons ... like

* No groups means stuff like:
** We swamp the station which screws anyone else who shows up who's NOT part of the trip
** Everyone has a much longer day; may need to cover less distance per day
** We *all* get to hang out at the SC
* Groups means stuff like:
** Each group has a fixed, short stop time; overall trip time is approximately the same
** The first group starts early, ends early
** The last group starts late, ends late
** Easier to stay part of the caravan
** Breaks up the social part of the trip

*shrug*