Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Cross Country Road Trip--Need Supercharging Advice

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I had this problem too on my x-country journey. cold winds are a killer. Bitter Cold and Wind | Tesla Owner

I'm roughly halfway through my #TeslaElectricStartupSuperTrip - we're doing Raleigh NC to Palo Alto CA. Right now I'm in the car on I-90W between Mitchell and Murdo, SD. I can tell you that today I've learned that sustained 25+ mph winds can REALLY impact your ability to get somewhere. Also, the comment about using the "correct" part of the battery is very important. If you need to put 150 miles of (rated) range into your battery, that's going to be a LOT faster if you're charging from 10->160 than if you're charging from 80-230. I'm instrumenting my trip pretty heavily, so one thing I hope to generate is a very good chart/tool for charge times... but I don't have it yet. Also, if you're willing to draft even a little bit, it can make a very significant difference in your efficiency. Right now my wife is driving, following a grain hauler semi that's cruising at a constant 74mph on a flat, straight part of I-90. Even with a 15-20mph direct headwind, the draft of the truck means our efficiency for the last 30 miles is a whoppingly low 310Wh/mi. Earlier today with no draft and that headwind we were over 450 - so in this specific example doing 74 with a draft is 50% less power than doing 77mph with no draft.