Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Cross Country Road Trip + Out of State Delivery

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

K-MTG

Sunshade Captain of TMC
Oct 24, 2015
Irvine, CA
Hi,

I will be in D.C with my family this summer for a few weeks thus I will need a car and a place to rent (possibly with Tesla charging). I have a Model X 90D but driving from SoCal to DC may not be feasible, I never exceeded a 500 mile road trip in any car (ICE/Tesla).

Option 1: Does Tesla (or 3rd party) offer any transport service of the car?

Option 2: I am considering a Model S to replace my Cadillac ELR (trade-in likely required). Would it be feasible to take delivery in D.C (or a nearby state) thus I will only have to do a one-way trip back to California. How will taxes/payment work out? I also plan to get an S60 as I don't even use up my ELR's 40 mile during my daily commute. But obviously driving cross country with a 60 may not be possible.

What are your thoughts? I don't want to rent an ICE for 3 weeks, though that would only cost me about $1000. Probably cheaper than transporting my X and risking damage...

Hi,

I will be in D.C with my family this summer for a few weeks thus I will need a car and a place to rent (possibly with Tesla charging). I have a Model X 90D but driving from SoCal to DC may not be feasible, I never exceeded a 500 mile road trip in any car (ICE/Tesla).

Option 1: Does Tesla (or 3rd party) offer any transport service of the car?

Option 2: I am considering a Model S to replace my Cadillac ELR (trade-in likely required). Would it be feasible to take delivery in D.C (or a nearby state) thus I will only have to do a one-way trip back to California. How will taxes/payment work out? I also plan to get an S60 as I don't even use up my ELR's 40 mile during my daily commute. But obviously driving cross country with a 60 may not be possible.

What are your thoughts? I don't want to rent an ICE for 3 weeks, though that would only cost me about $1000. Probably cheaper than transporting my X and risking damage...

If you're doing this out of California, find a state with $0 sales tax as California will charge you the Use tax for the car when you bring it and register it in state.

Just off the top of my head, New Jersey didn't charge sales tax on EV sales (but my info might be dated). The Paramus Delivery, Sales, Service Center is also a supercharger location.

I got my P85 CPO in DC and drove it back to Denver. Colorado Sales Tax was included when I paid at Tyson's Corner Service Center where I picked it up. It had temp tags from VA and I had to license it myself when I got back to Colorado. CPO purchase and driving 2,100 miles home
As for driving back in a 60, I think in summer you would be fine with only a few places requiring a 90% or greater.

If you're doing this out of California, find a state with $0 sales tax as California will charge you the Use tax for the car when you bring it and register it in state.

Just off the top of my head, New Jersey didn't charge sales tax on EV sales (but my info might be dated). The Paramus Delivery, Sales, Service Center is also a supercharger location.

Does DC or any of the near by states have tax-exemption for outsiders? The only state in the area is Delaware but they don't have a Tesla Store. I suppose New Jersey would work if they don't charge sales tax, hopefully someone can confirm this.

I got my P85 CPO in DC and drove it back to Denver. Colorado Sales Tax was included when I paid at Tyson's Corner Service Center where I picked it up. It had temp tags from VA and I had to license it myself when I got back to Colorado. CPO purchase and driving 2,100 miles home
As for driving back in a 60, I think in summer you would be fine with only a few places requiring a 90% or greater.

I prefer Tyson's corner as I will be residing near that area. So I would assume I can just pay California sales tax when I pickup in Virginia?

As far as the $7500 TAX credit, I would assume I shouldn't have an issue with that?

I am just worried about the 210 mile range, on my previous trip to SF with my X, I used an additional 80 miles and arrived at the supercharger with 8 miles on my 90D.

Have you asked Tesla?

Not yet as my decision to purchase an S isn't firm. I am considering ordering now or waiting for something new.

Also, the transportation cost for my Model X seem fine but I would rather prefer a recommendation from someone on the forum to transport my Model X.

Screen Shot 2017-03-06 at 10.36.34 PM.png

Not yet as my decision to purchase an S isn't firm. I am considering ordering now or waiting for something new.

Also, the transportation cost for my Model X seem fine but I would rather prefer a recommendation from someone on the forum to transport my Model X.

View attachment 217559
as shown by this video auto transportation is a extremely unreliable and might arrive days later then expected...

You will be charged sales tax as a California resident at the total rate (statewide plus local) for your address. Now, if you decide to take delivery in another state, that state may want to assess its sales tax even though you are not a resident of that state. Laws vary from jurisdiction to jurisdiction, and I do not know how these other states operate. I can say this, however: California will only collect the amount of sales tax at your local rate times the total sales price. California will apply a dollar-for-dollar credit for sales taxes paid to another state. So, if your local rate in California is 9%, and you paid sales tax to DC at 6%, the DMV will only collect 3% extra when you register your car in California.

Perhaps the easiest way to accomplish this would be to arrange for delivery at Fremont. Pay for the car. Pay California Sales Tax. Get the temporary registration affixed to the passenger side window. Fly east. Have Tesla haul your car east. Drive home and enjoy the journey without the hassles of registering your car a second time and proving what sales tax you paid somewhere else.

Have a blast.

You will be charged sales tax as a California resident at the total rate (statewide plus local) for your address. Now, if you decide to take delivery in another state, that state may want to assess its sales tax even though you are not a resident of that state. Laws vary from jurisdiction to jurisdiction, and I do not know how these other states operate. I can say this, however: California will only collect the amount of sales tax at your local rate times the total sales price. California will apply a dollar-for-dollar credit for sales taxes paid to another state. So, if your local rate in California is 9%, and you paid sales tax to DC at 6%, the DMV will only collect 3% extra when you register your car in California.

Perhaps the easiest way to accomplish this would be to arrange for delivery at Fremont. Pay for the car. Pay California Sales Tax. Get the temporary registration affixed to the passenger side window. Fly east. Have Tesla haul your car east. Drive home and enjoy the journey without the hassles of registering your car a second time and proving what sales tax you paid somewhere else.

Have a blast.

I am in SoCal so going up to the factory will be another 800 mile road trip. Also my trip to D.C is also tentative, if I can't find a place to stay or a car. I will just have a staycation.