Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Cross Country Road Trip

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
On April 2nd we will be embarking on road trip in my 2016 Model X P90DL. We’ll be heading out from Greenwood, SC going to Calistoga,CA to bottle our family wine. The round trip will be around 6K miles. Having never done this kind of trip in my Tesla, I’d be very interested in any tips/suggestions from any of you long trippers out there.
We’ll be chronicling our adventure on our website “www.modelxroadtrip.com” for any of you that might want to follow our adventure. We’ll be using the entire month so we won’t be in any hurry.
Any tips or suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

Welcome to the forums, thanks for sharing, and have a great time.
Drove ~4k miles in similar car last summer. Keep the driving to between 20% and 80% if you have to wait with the car while it is charging so you can keep the HVAC on (stops below 20%) and drive faster than charging (it charges slowly above 80%) and have a buffer in case of route delays. That only gives you about 150 miles between charges at highway speeds but that should be enough to comfortably skip between Superchargers. Best rule: Don’t wait for charging—charge while eating and sleeping.

Reactions: 365gtb4 and FlyF4
You came to the right place. I am sure you will get good ideas. What is your route. One of my clients paid me to do this trip on two different interstate routes to gather info. yea, that client.
I got some videos of superchargers, notes, etc. Again, what is your planned route?

I did a similar length trip within 4 months of getting my X90D, two years ago.

I charged enough to cover 150% of the distance to the next supercharger. That gave my enough juice to drive my normal speed (yup, you guessed it right - fast enough to not get caught). I was pleasantly surprised how easy and efficient it is to super charge. At night, I would pick a place that had a destination charger, and set my charge to 90%.

OP asked for suggestion - here is my suggestion - Enjoy the ride. Tesla has given me the liberty to smell the roses along the way. Still love driving every time I can drive. Too bad I'll have to pay overage charges on my lease. But such is life.

I did a very similar trip from Charlotte, NC to San Francisco (and back) last summer in my Model S. Hotels with destination chargers make the trip more enjoyable, so my advice would be to do some research on those before you go. I'd be interesting in checking out your planned route as well.

Have a fun time, hope to be able to do the same some day in our Model X. I know we'll be taking a trip from Chicago to Orlando. Not quite the same but will be exciting nonetheless. I'll look forward to updates on your trip.

We've made two road trips in our X; maiden voyage was central PA to Key West and back. Last summer was central PA to Maine, Nova Scotia, PEI, then through New Brunswick to the St. Lawrence, Quebec City, Montreal, Ithaca and back home.

Our trips were more sightseeing and relaxed than yours will probably be, but two words of advice: Destination Charging. We stayed in some wonderful hotels and B&B's, and awoke each day with a full "tank"!

On April 2nd we will be embarking on road trip in my 2016 Model X P90DL. We’ll be heading out from Greenwood, SC going to Calistoga,CA to bottle our family wine. The round trip will be around 6K miles. Having never done this kind of trip in my Tesla, I’d be very interested in any tips/suggestions from any of you long trippers out there.
We’ll be chronicling our adventure on our website “www.modelxroadtrip.com” for any of you that might want to follow our adventure. We’ll be using the entire month so we won’t be in any hurry.
Any tips or suggestions will be greatly appreciated.
Welcome to TMC!

You may not get as many answers as you might like from experienced owners because these types of threads come up all the time and we get tired of repeating the same information over and over.

The forums have a search function and that will give you quite a few threads to read through. One of the oldest and best is this one:
How to save a lot of time on long trips

Reactions: FlyF4
Also use abetterrouteplanner or evtripping tools to map your route and plan for driving time, charging time, etc.

I always try to stay at a hotel that has destination charging too! I want to let biz owners know that I support when they install Tesla destination chargers for road trips.

Have fun on your trip!

@FlyF4
Our route is pretty flexible. Going west we’ve tentatively planned to stay overnight in the following locations at hotels with destination chargers: Ridgeland, MS, Ardmore, OK, Albuquerque, NM, Kingman, AZ, and Fresno, CA. Will be taking a more southern route hoping to avoid any weather issues.
On the return route we plan on visiting with friends in Denver so we’ll be taking a more northern route. Destination charging at hotels in: Elko, NV, Casper, WY, Hays, KS, Mt. Vernon, IL, and Asheville, NC.

Reactions: JimVandegriff
@FlyF4
Our route is pretty flexible. Going west we’ve tentatively planned to stay overnight in the following locations at hotels with destination chargers: Ridgeland, MS, Ardmore, OK, Albuquerque, NM, Kingman, AZ, and Fresno, CA. Will be taking a more southern route hoping to avoid any weather issues.
On the return route we plan on visiting with friends in Denver so we’ll be taking a more northern route. Destination charging at hotels in: Elko, NV, Casper, WY, Hays, KS, Mt. Vernon, IL, and Asheville, NC.
OK, sounds like you are taking I20 on the way out and I70 on the way back. It is good that you are avoiding I40 from Memphis to Oklahoma city because of Arkansas is skimpy on superchargers. Sounds like a good trip.

Download and signup for the plugshare app. Comes in handy so you know where you can find a backup charge in case something unexpected happens. We did a PA to OK trip in December and stayed at hotels with destination chargers. I should have read the user feedback on plugshare more diligently as we discovered one hotel we ended up staying had a destination charger that was painfully slow (barely got a full charge by the time we had to leave in the morning. would have known if I had read the plugshare comments). Also, Tesla owners are putting down good advice on nearby restaurants, etc... in the Tesla supercharger comments in plugshare as well as on google maps. One thing I found and I'm sure you'll hear from others is I found that even after a full day of driving, using autopilot and stopping at SC's, I

• Informative
Reactions: FlyF4
Download and signup for the plugshare app. Comes in handy so you know where you can find a backup charge in case something unexpected happens. We did a PA to OK trip in December and stayed at hotels with destination chargers. I should have read the user feedback on plugshare more diligently as we discovered one hotel we ended up staying had a destination charger that was painfully slow (barely got a full charge by the time we had to leave in the morning. would have known if I had read the plugshare comments). Also, Tesla owners are putting down good advice on nearby restaurants, etc... in the Tesla supercharger comments in plugshare as well as on google maps. One thing I found and I'm sure you'll hear from others is I found that even after a full day of driving, using autopilot and stopping at SC's, I
...get too tired to finish my posts on TMC?