Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Cross country skis

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just wondering how people travel with cross country skis?
Do you use a roof rack type carrier. If so which model?

I'm looking at the possibility of getting the tesla roof rack then a ski carrier, but which I don't know.
Looking for a Canadian supplier
Also looking for the least drag possible. The Model 3 RWD looses enough distance in the winter with the cold and LFP battery.

For my trip next weekend, they will go inside the car with the back seat down. My skis just fit at an angle with 2 inches to spare.
Now have to pack the dog and everything else inside.

Any guidance on this?

Model Y middle seat folds down, suits a bag of skis perfectly. IMO it's a better alternative to putting them anywhere outside the car. Cleaner, safer, less drag, cheaper.. Not sure about the Model 3 rear seats.

Model Y middle seat folds down, suits a bag of skis perfectly. IMO it's a better alternative to putting them anywhere outside the car. Cleaner, safer, less drag, cheaper.. Not sure about the Model 3 rear seats.
60/40 split
I need the 60 to stay up to keep the dog in place. So that leave at an angle and it touches the passenger seat and left hand wall of the rear trunk. (kitty corner)

I've got a Thule Ski rack (Thule SnowPack Extender) attached to Tesla crossbars used on both an S and a Y. While they work quite well (and they're lockable, can slide to the side in order to load them), in hindsight, I'd say either put them inside the car or get a full on cargo carrier (something like a Thule Force XT XL) to ensure that crud doesn't get on them. Salt will eventually destroy the ski bindings. Just double check that the length is long enough for ALL the types of skis you plan to carry. It'll also ease the load in the trunk if you've got a full family going too. Rack Attack can get you everything you need and install it competently, including the crossbars if you don't want to go with Tesla branding. Looking at your profile, I'm sure there's a dealership that can help you in Montreal.

The only thing I find is securing the skis in the car. I found a neat solution but it's costly. You could probably mock one up in wood for a bit of effort and $50 in plywood. Given I've got an X, the last thing I want to do is to do an emergency brake and have the skis hit the rear screen. The First "Install-Less" Vehicle & Home Ski & Board Rack

Hindsight is, of course, 20/20. Cheers.

The only thing I find is securing the skis in the car. I found a neat solution but it's costly. You could probably mock one up in wood for a bit of effort and $50 in plywood. Given I've got an X, the last thing I want to do is to do an emergency brake and have the skis hit the rear screen. The First "Install-Less" Vehicle & Home Ski & Board Rack
In the 3, I angle the skis diagonally so they're wedged against the B-pillar (do you still call it that when you get between the doors?). Not too worried about the interior. The X, I'd be pretty disappointed if the screen got damaged. I push my skis forward so the anterior end is on the floor, under the rear screen. That way they can't fly forward in an emergency braking maneuver. The rear end is pointing up, but near the ceiling (a few cm clearance). That's if I'm going solo.

If the family is going, we put all the skis and poles in a ski bag to keep them neat and tidy and from flying around the cabin. Over Christmas we had 4 people, 4 sets of x/c skis, 4 sets of downhill skis, boots, helmets and a week's worth of clothing, games, etc. for our week long ski trip all packed into our X. It took all the storage space, but it worked well and it was nice (a) not having to use a roof box and (b) having AWD driving up to the resort every day on fresh snow.

Just wondering how people travel with cross country skis?
Do you use a roof rack type carrier. If so which model?

I'm looking at the possibility of getting the tesla roof rack then a ski carrier, but which I don't know.
Looking for a Canadian supplier
Also looking for the least drag possible. The Model 3 RWD looses enough distance in the winter with the cold and LFP battery.

For my trip next weekend, they will go inside the car with the back seat down. My skis just fit at an angle with 2 inches to spare.
Now have to pack the dog and everything else inside.

Any guidance on this?
I have the Tesla bars that I leave on year round- I like the look.
I have the Yakima Fat Cat 6 rack and it works very well. As the name suggests, it holds 6 pairs of skis effectively. It does lock but I take the skis off when I reach the chalet or wherever I am staying overnight . Don’t notice any appreciable drag. Thought about a ski box but I really don’t want to drive around with a coffin on my rooftop lol!

• Informative
Reactions: Randy-12
I have the Tesla bars that I leave on year round- I like the look.
I have the Yakima Fat Cat 6 rack and it works very well. As the name suggests, it holds 6 pairs of skis effectively. It does lock but I take the skis off when I reach the chalet or wherever I am staying overnight . Don’t notice any appreciable drag. Thought about a ski box but I really don’t want to drive around with a coffin on my rooftop lol!
Got a picture of the rack mounted with skis?

1675300796452.png

Reactions: Randy-12
That's pretty cool. I see what my car looks like after driving on winter roads, so still would rather leave the skis inside the vehicle as long as there are 3 or fewer people in the car.
I agree but I'm worried about two things, I travel up north with my dog in the back and second is the road noise being elevated because of the rear seat being down.

I guess I'll find out tomorrow as it's my first trip up north fully loaded with dog and skis!

Reactions: bpjod