Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Cross Country Tesla Shipping

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello all and Happy Thanksgiving. I have a M3 that I will want to ship from the midwest to California. I have contacted a couple of car shippers and they want about ~$1000 to ship the car in an uncovered trailer.

Has anyone shipped their Tesla?
Did you do so in a covered trailed or uncovered?
Any thoughts, advice, or suggestions on a company that can do this?

Thanks in advance.

I have shipped my car twice to/from east coast to CA on an open carrier. It has cost me $1500 or $1600. The two experiences couldn't have been more different, in terms of the care of the car and the communication from the driver. I think the main issue is to find a broker you can trust. Many are very shady characters. The industry is largely unregulated, and if your car is damaged, you have little recourse or leverage to get the problem addressed. There are lots of forums on automobile shipping, and the litany of complaints and horror stories is epic. PM me and I can share the broker I used that I thought did a great job.

I have shipped my car twice to/from east coast to CA on an open carrier. It has cost me $1500 or $1600. The two experiences couldn't have been more different, in terms of the care of the car and the communication from the driver. I think the main issue is to find a broker you can trust. Many are very shady characters. The industry is largely unregulated, and if your car is damaged, you have little recourse or leverage to get the problem addressed. There are lots of forums on automobile shipping, and the litany of complaints and horror stories is epic. PM me and I can share the broker I used that I thought did a great job.
Have a friend drive it. I bet you could charge them. : )
I actually have done that with other cars. Would advise against it. First, when you take into account hotels, food, and energy, it is around the same price and shipping, to say nothing of wear on tires and the car in general. Also, do you really want some person sitting in your seat for 2500 miles, and worrying about them getting to close to a semi or salt truck (in winter) and arriving with paint and windscreen chips.

• Funny
Reactions: KenC
I actually have done that with other cars. Would advise against it. First, when you take into account hotels, food, and energy, it is around the same price and shipping, to say nothing of wear on tires and the car in general. Also, do you really want some person sitting in your seat for 2500 miles, and worrying about them getting to close to a semi or salt truck (in winter) and arriving with paint and windscreen chips.

I was going to drive it myself for the experience and to save a few dollars. However, as quoted above, by the time I pay for Supercharging, hotels, food etc it will be cheaper to ship it.

Thanks for the info. How in the heck do you PM someone on this forum?

Reading the "have someone drive it for you" comments... All I can think about now is the old 1986 movie with Rutger Hauer called The Hitcher.

"Jim Halsey, a young man delivering a car from Chicago to San Diego, spots a man hitchhiking in the West Texas desert and gives him a ride. The hitcher, John Ryder, is brooding and evasive. When Jim passes a stranded car, Ryder forces his leg down on the accelerator. Ryder states he murdered the driver and intends to do the same to Jim, threatening him with a switchblade. Terrified, Jim asks what Ryder wants. He replies, "I want you to stop me."

Hi there, can you send me name of broker as I wanted to ship my tesla from Seattle to New york