Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

"Cross-interference" between 2 garaged Teslas

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

AudubonB

One can NOT induce accuracy via precision!
Mar 24, 2013
Am wondering if others have this situation:

The 'activation' button on our Model X's charge cable, when depressed, consistently opens the charging door of our Model S, some 20 feet away. Our Service Center claims ignorance, "never heard of this".

It has happened effectively every time I have depressed that button - in other words, it has been going on for over one year. It also sets into action a number of other clunks and clanks in the Model S that I presume are activating the charging sequence. I think but am not certain that the Model S similarly goes into 'waking up' mode when the Model X begins charging at its set time of day.

There is not, to the extent I have tried, any such response between the two vehicles with the other car's key fob.

• Funny
Reactions: Kant.Ing
I'm surprised you haven't heard of this issue before since it's always been that way. The signal sent from a charging cable to open the charge part isn't unique for your car. It just sends a general "open" signal and any car in range could open the charge port. We have 3 Teslas in the garage and pushing the button on either charging cable will often cause all charge port doors to open. You can go to a Supercharger or Destination charger site or Tesla event and often open up several car charge ports with just one push of the button on the charge cable.

Signals sent from the key fob are unique to the car so opening the charge port via the fob should only affect the one car.

I'm surprised the Service Center doesn't know about this. lol

The older charge ports are pop-open only, and will stay popped once opened by any means. Until you close it with a finger.

Do the newer charge ports with motorized doors eventually close themselves again if popped by charge handle and no handle got inserted.. within a certain timeframe?

I can envision Tesla scaling this free popping back a bit... whereby the key must also be detected within proximity before the charge door pops. Currently, obviously, there is no consideration of key needing to be nearby.

Yep, what MorrisonHiker said.
I've seen this also. When our local supercharger opened our club had a ribbon cutting ceremony. There were a dozen or more Teslas parked near the charging stalls. Whenever someone went to charge, the charge ports on cars parked nearby would pop open.

Reactions: MorrisonHiker
Just for clarity that does not work on the older cars, not sure if the new chargeport was a D thing or refresh or what but the ports that can not close themselves can not be opened with a push.

Can one of you with two cars test if releasing the charge cable opens the port on the other car? Some chance they could rely on wired communication for the disconnect.

Reactions: mongo
My experiences.

AP1 X & AP2 S:
Activating the button on the charge cable would pop both doors open. But after a set time, the one that isn't being used will automatically close itself. One neat feature was that my AP2 S gets home before the AP1 X. At the time we shared 1 HPWC, and the S would automatically unlock the charging cable when I parked near it with the X. This allowed me to immediately unplug the S and plug it into the X and be on my merry way.

AP2 X & AP2 S:
ACtivating the button on the charge cable would still pop both doors open. After a set time, both doors would automatically close themselves. I was slightly annoyed to find out that my X no longer "communicates" with my S. When I arrive home, the S charge cable remains locked; which means I need to retrieve a key or pull out an app to unlock it to switch the cable...I've since installed a 2nd HPWC.

I'm still not quite sure why it happened and I don't recall reading about any V2V communications being put in or removed to allow this sort of thing.

My experiences.

AP1 X & AP2 S:
Activating the button on the charge cable would pop both doors open. But after a set time, the one that isn't being used will automatically close itself. One neat feature was that my AP2 S gets home before the AP1 X. At the time we shared 1 HPWC, and the S would automatically unlock the charging cable when I parked near it with the X. This allowed me to immediately unplug the S and plug it into the X and be on my merry way.

AP2 X & AP2 S:
ACtivating the button on the charge cable would still pop both doors open. After a set time, both doors would automatically close themselves. I was slightly annoyed to find out that my X no longer "communicates" with my S. When I arrive home, the S charge cable remains locked; which means I need to retrieve a key or pull out an app to unlock it to switch the cable...I've since installed a 2nd HPWC.

I'm still not quite sure why it happened and I don't recall reading about any V2V communications being put in or removed to allow this sort of thing.

Are you sure the issue / difference isn't autolock on walk away? Port should not release unless car is unlocked.