Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Cross Traffic Alert

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Although the rear camera has a good field of vision, it still is not as sensitive as the backup cross traffic alarms in either my Lexus nor my Prius Prime. I frequently find myself parked between two large SUVs or trucks (I live in Texas!) and have to back out pretty far to see in the camera any traffic. This was never the case with the backup alarm.
I agree, all Tesla’s should have Cross Traffic Alert and Blind Spot monitoring in the mirrors where a driver looks before changing lanes. My relatively cheap Mazda CX 5 GT 2016 has both and it works great. This feature is nothing new and it’s surprising that a fifty thousand dollar Tesla thinks cameras are a substitute. Unfortunately, radar hardware is required and I doubt this is something that can be easily retrofit into current Tesla’s. Hopefully it’s a set of safety features that will be added on a model refresh. In the meantime, I’ll hold off ordering until I see this added. For me, Blind Spot in the mirrors and Cross Traffic Alert when backing up is that important.

man i need to quit talking today, that's like the fourth time I've been wrong today. when I was buying the car they said those were ultrasonic, just looked it up and it's a radar (maybe it uses ultrasonic wavelength, can't find clarity on that) should have known was from the same person who told me they had adaptive cruise (they don't)

trekkie, No big deal - however it works is minor. I know from experience how valuable the cross traffic alert is when backing out of a grocery store parking space while watching my backup camera and suddenly the alert goes off and a mom with her infant shows up pushing a grocery cart past my rear bumper. I'm studying EV cars for my next ride and Tesla is high on my list but other EV cars have not abandon what they learned from decades of development and all have Blind spot alerts and Cross traffic monitoring. I'm hopeful Tesla will just add this at some point.

Has Tesla's failure to have CTA resulted in real life consequences? Considering that even when drivers do stupid things, accidents involving Tesla vehicles get in the news. I haven't heard of such CTA deficient accidents and one would think there would be a great opportunity to say I Told You So.

Has Tesla's failure to have CTA resulted in real life consequences? Considering that even when drivers do stupid things, accidents involving Tesla vehicles get in the news. I haven't heard of such CTA deficient accidents and one would think there would be a great opportunity to say I Told You So.
Fair point, but I doubt that every tesla accident gets reported. Probably the most likely cross-traffic accident would involve low speeds in a parking lot and might result in sheet metal body damage (or minor, non-fatal injuries to pedestrians), so perhaps they haven't been newsworthy. Or maybe we have all been careful, or lucky!

OK, it's been 9 months since the last post on this subject, and rear cross-traffic alert still doesn't work like most other cars? It worked amazing on my Acura TLX I just sold for the my Model 3; it would chime with an arrow showing which direction it was coming from. No matter how much I avoid getting pinned in by pickup trucks (I'm in Alberta; the Canadian equivalanet to Texas in THAT sense!), it's the part of driving that makes me the most anxious. I think backing into a spot would help a BIT, but mostly, for the money, one really thinks the car should be able to do it...?

Want to report:
Just got the model Y today, when backing out from driveway, a SUV drove pass me, like 2 feet away from rear end of tesla, really scared me, because I assumed tesla has cross traffic alert.

Looks like Tesla does NOT have this function.

Even my 10 years old Buick has it.

Reactions: Cheburashka
Want to report:
Just got the model Y today, when backing out from driveway, a SUV drove pass me, like 2 feet away from rear end of tesla, really scared me, because I assumed tesla has cross traffic alert.

Looks like Tesla does NOT have this function.

Even my 10 years old Buick has it.
True, there’s no cross traffic alert and also the blind spot monitor rarely works, but the car does have three rearward cameras.

I am not saying cross-traffic alert is useless, as I did find it useful on a 2013 Lexus and it did save me a few times. The combo of three reverse cameras and visually checking surroundings is pretty effective as well. If I feel really boxed in I also roll down the windows to listen for any car speeding down a parking aisle. Glad you spotted the other car in time. As my wife and Dad have proven, even backup cameras and proximity sensors won’t prevent you from hitting the trash can, or another parked car, if the driver is inattentive.

True, there’s no cross traffic alert and also the blind spot monitor rarely works, but the car does have three rearward cameras.

I am not saying cross-traffic alert is useless, as I did find it useful on a 2013 Lexus and it did save me a few times. The combo of three reverse cameras and visually checking surroundings is pretty effective as well. If I feel really boxed in I also roll down the windows to listen for any car speeding down a parking aisle. Glad you spotted the other car in time. As my wife and Dad have proven, even backup cameras and proximity sensors won’t prevent you from hitting the trash can, or another parked car, if the driver is inattentive.
I found CTA being very helpful. sound alert saved me multiple times. depends on camera screen size,lighting and other things, one may not be able to see things clearly on camera.

• Informative
Reactions: David29