Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Cross winds for your Model S vs previous cars?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This spring, we had exceptional wind in New England, and on the highway I felt like my car would dance all over the place (currently a venerable Camry). Previously I had an A8L, not a light car, and it still had similar issues but not as bad as the Camry. I am wondering how well the Model S fares in cross winds with its low center of gravity, heavy weight, and more aerodynamic design? Any anecdotal evidence that it is significantly better than other vehicles?

From my vast experience driving the car (I've had it two weeks...), I'd say it's the most stable and least susceptible to external influences of any car I've had before, including wind and semi trucks getting as close as humanly possible to the lane markers...

Hey Greg. Good question!
My previous cars all suffered from this to an extent. The first one, a small Toyota Echo hatchback (this was in Canada, and a market specific model,) had it pretty bad. The next two were Subaru WRX, still hatchbacks. It would happen, but much less, as those cars are heavier and bigger.
I have not felt this in the Model S. So I think your assumptions are correct.

I've learned that if I hear weird sounds, of something is ever-so-slightly off about the car's behaviour, that I should check the wind speed and direction. I've been surprised by very high cross winds, that in the past would have knocked around my cars (which have mostly been sedans but mostly "highly" aerodynamic ones).

This spring, we had exceptional wind in New England, and on the highway I felt like my car would dance all over the place (currently a venerable Camry). Previously I had an A8L, not a light car, and it still had similar issues but not as bad as the Camry. I am wondering how well the Model S fares in cross winds with its low center of gravity, heavy weight, and more aerodynamic design? Any anecdotal evidence that it is significantly better than other vehicles?

It should do quite well. Note that one other factor to add in here in favor of Tesla is electric steering.... I'm guessing your A8L was before Audi switched to electric (MY 2014+). One thing that modern cars with electric steering and ESP does is compensate for crosswinds via electric steering. They can resist and correct for the crosswinds much faster than a human can react.

I switched from an Audi without electric steering to one with, and one of the biggest differences is how well it handles crosswinds and grooves in the pavement.

• Helpful
Reactions: e-FTW
My Model S feels way better in crosswinds than my '05 Prius, but that might not be saying very much. :)

Bruce.
Cars that have problems in crosswinds often have alignment problems. If the alignment is correct, the Tesla should have no problem. My 2004 Prius did at first, but not after the alignment was corrected.

Even though the cars is both large and heavy it does have a very low Cd (coefficient of drag). This makes is effective (low energy consumption) but it will feel "lighter", less stable, more like"it floats around" because, well, it does float around more (less drag=less stability).

Cars that have problems in crosswinds often have alignment problems. If the alignment is correct, the Tesla should have no problem. My 2004 Prius did at first, but not after the alignment was corrected.

This. If my Model S starts getting blown around in crosswinds, its time for an alignment. Just wish it would stay aligned for more than a few thousand miles at a time.

Interesting seeing the varied responses about the S performance in windy conditions. I drive in a LOT of crosswinds. (Come out to the Palmdale Annual Wind Festival - Jan - Dec ;) ). I sometimes wish for a trim tab on the steering wheel on the drive up Hwy 14.

Out of all the cars I have owned so far, my Volt is the least affected by the cross winds. I had assumed that was due to its low center of gravity, heavy relative weight vs its aspect ratio, and its low drag coefficient. I would think other EVs would be similar, so its good to hear some positive comments about the Model S in crosswinds. I will be interested to compare Tesla's performance in this regard.

Worst vehicle I own for this is my Tacoma for obvious reasons. That thing can be downright scary to drive in above 35 knot gusting wind conditions. Ugh.

Even though the cars is both large and heavy it does have a very low Cd (coefficient of drag). This makes is effective (low energy consumption) but it will feel "lighter", less stable, more like"it floats around" because, well, it does float around more (less drag=less stability).

This. The car is heavy, and with a low center of gravity, I don't feel like I'll get blown off the road. But, the aerodynamics being what it is, the more aerodynamic you are, the more susceptible you are to cross winds. At least if you're a car :)

And apparently, Model S being a fastback shape may be adding something to it. If you have time for the 170 page Ph.D. thesis on the topic :) https://mediatum.ub.tum.de/doc/1096026/1096026.pdf

Cross winds have a big impact on range. Sometimes I have noticed a high watts/mile reading and I realize there is a lot of wind. So it drives fine, but the energy consumption is impacted.