Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Crossclimate 2 dry traction?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I just got new Michelin Crossclimate 2's put on my 2020 Model S LR, replacing the OEM tires.

My model isn't the Performance, the 0-60 is 3.7 sec.

With the OEM tires, when I would punch it from a standstill, there was almost never any slipping on dry road. Occasionally a very, very brief one.

With the Crossclimate's, on dry pavement, 65 degrees outside, there is a LOT of tire slip/spin. To the point that there is a little bit of wiggle in the car, like all four tires are losing grip at the same time. The car still feels completely safe and in control, but it is definitely surprising. I can only imagine how bad it would be in a Performance model.

But, I live in Denver, and go snowboarding a lot, so the winter driving from the reviews will be worth the tradeoff.

Has anyone else noticed this loss of traction during max acceleration? It's not something that pops up on internet search complaints.

I am very interested in your experiences, as I am looking at those tires for my 2020 LR+. My 20K miles worn Goodyear Eagle Touring OEM tires always lose grip when I punch it -- just as you describe. That is why they are wearing so much at 20K miles. Reading the numerous Tesla comments on these tires at the TireRack website, people seem very pleased with them in Snow, Wet, Dry conditions. Biggest complaint is loss of perhaps as much as 10% Tesla range. They are a very aggressive tread pattern. I am wondering if I would see any increased grip loss since my current tires exhibit that behavior when my car rockets away trying to keep grip with the road.

I just got new Michelin Crossclimate 2's put on my 2020 Model S LR, replacing the OEM tires.

My model isn't the Performance, the 0-60 is 3.7 sec.

With the OEM tires, when I would punch it from a standstill, there was almost never any slipping on dry road. Occasionally a very, very brief one.

With the Crossclimate's, on dry pavement, 65 degrees outside, there is a LOT of tire slip/spin. To the point that there is a little bit of wiggle in the car, like all four tires are losing grip at the same time. The car still feels completely safe and in control, but it is definitely surprising. I can only imagine how bad it would be in a Performance model.

But, I live in Denver, and go snowboarding a lot, so the winter driving from the reviews will be worth the tradeoff.

Has anyone else noticed this loss of traction during max acceleration? It's not something that pops up on internet search complaints.
am in denver too and have had these on for 2 seasons and dont get that slippage...of course i am conservative driving but they grip pretty good to me...do you have the d model? awd?

@C-Ball How many miles were on the tires when you started this thread? How many are on them now? Is it still an issue now?

New tire grease is a very real thing. Brand new tires that you just got mounted won't grip well at all. I can attest to it from firsthand experience. ;) A few hundred miles should be enough to wear it off. (Probably takes fewer miles than that, but let's call it a couple hundred to be safe, for a proper evaluation.)

I don't have any experience with the CrossClimate 2, what I'm saying applies to every tire though, to my knowledge. My understanding is tire makers literally use grease to get the tires out of the molds, and there is usually a bit still stuck on the tread when they ship out from the factory, which gets worn off after some driving. Most people on the road never notice or need to care, because they don't drive their car like that, except maybe for panic braking once in a blue moon.

Last edited: