Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Crowd fund to advertise Tesla?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I would also recommend getting a hold of PR for Tesla and see if they are okay with this. I am sure they are not doing something to this extent already for a reason. Whether that is due to demand being too high currently or perhaps they don't want too much publicity too soon.

I agree with this as well. I would love to contribute a little bit to the project.

I think Hulu charges somewhere around $40 per 1000 complete views. I actually thought that was pretty cheap. If your looking at just a $4000 ad investment, that's 100,000 views. Putting it into that perspective, 100,000 views really isn't that big :(. You'd need $40k for 1 million views. But this is what I've found searching the net on their pricing model. I'd be interested in hearing more about their actual model and if they have any discounts.

I think Hulu charges somewhere around $40 per 1000 complete views. I actually thought that was pretty cheap. If your looking at just a $4000 ad investment, that's 100,000 views. Putting it into that perspective, 100,000 views really isn't that big :(. You'd need $40k for 1 million views. But this is what I've found searching the net on their pricing model. I'd be interested in hearing more about their actual model and if they have any discounts.

If this were the case, we could ask that our ad only be shown in North America and possibly Europe. Don't wanna waste any of those sweet, sweet views.

In either case, say we can only raise 4k and we can only get 100k views. I found out about the electric car, like many people, from the movie "Who Killed The Electric Car?" and from then on I was a huge advocate, mainly because it just made sense. What I am getting at is that the ads, even only 100k views can turn into something a bit bigger:

A) If even 1% of those views turned into reservations down the road, that is still 100 cars.
Ab) We all know how powerful word of mouth is, we have seen testimony on these forums for people selling the car to their friends. So those 100 cars could turn into 150-200?
B) Advocacy of the product could be a powerful thing. Many of those viewing surprisingly wouldn't have heard of Tesla yet. I know we all like to think all of America knows about them, but every gallery I go to say "It's surprising how many people don't know about us"
Bb) Advocacy, even 5% would be 500 people posting of Facebook and social media saying how awesome the car/technology looks. Quite like I have when I discovered Tesla.

So, even if its only 100k, I feel it still makes a difference :)

As far as Hulu being a younger crowd pleaser, this is debatable. But, remember a lot of the younger crowd are purchasing this vehicle. People in their early-late twenties and thirties that are in the tech industry love this car. For those Software Engineers out there that have not heard of Tesla, it could be an easy sale. Though, I would argue Hulu is across the gambit of ages. Hulu is a great product, quite like Netflix.

Cool!

As an Internet advertising exec... Be sure to get as many uniques (unique users) as possible. 100,000 views could easily only be 10,000 users, each seeing the ad 10 times. What we want is 100,000 users, even if it takes longer to reach them all.

This can be accomplished by specifying a "frequency cap" of say 1/lifetime or 1/30 (days).

Hulu is a great way to go BTW. Very high quality views, which means very likely to be seen and remembered.

Last edited:
Not meant to steer this away from Hula, but another place the "ad" could be effective is the movie theaters. A lot of theaters play filler commercials between shows. I have no idea how expensive they are, but maybe some chains would offer discounts if local car clubs would "sponsor" them. Heck, we know people like Morgan Freeman and Ben Afflect even own Teslas and maybe they would help.

Perhaps the theaters would show it for free in exchange for some fundraising activities at car club get togethers. It would also allow you to target the affluent neighborhood theaters (like El Dorado Hills by Folsom).

I don't know if it would look good in widescreen format, but it would be pretty awesome to see it in that setting. It would need to show the url at the end so people can find the nearest store (for test drives) or how to order one.

http://www.ncm.com/ and http://www.screenvision.com/ popular for movie theater ads

Screenvision Contact form: http://theaters.screenvision.com/screenvision/contact/

Screenvision Old presentation: http://www.slideshare.net/BrandonGriffin/screenvision-presentation-2167702 slide 24 shows an old pricing model, but not really clear what cost for 30 sec spots are.

remember, theres only 15-30 people watching each movie unless its something really popular. hulu might be better. I'm not in advertising though. We need advertising pros to weigh in here.

In either case, say we can only raise 4k and we can only get 100k views. I found out about the electric car, like many people, from the movie "Who Killed The Electric Car?" and from then on I was a huge advocate, mainly because it just made sense. What I am getting at is that the ads, even only 100k views can turn into something a bit bigger:

A) If even 1% of those views turned into reservations down the road, that is still 100 cars.
Ab) We all know how powerful word of mouth is, we have seen testimony on these forums for people selling the car to their friends. So those 100 cars could turn into 150-200?
B) Advocacy of the product could be a powerful thing. Many of those viewing surprisingly wouldn't have heard of Tesla yet. I know we all like to think all of America knows about them, but every gallery I go to say "It's surprising how many people don't know about us"
Bb) Advocacy, even 5% would be 500 people posting of Facebook and social media saying how awesome the car/technology looks. Quite like I have when I discovered Tesla.

So, even if its only 100k, I feel it still makes a difference :)

As far as Hulu being a younger crowd pleaser, this is debatable. But, remember a lot of the younger crowd are purchasing this vehicle. People in their early-late twenties and thirties that are in the tech industry love this car. For those Software Engineers out there that have not heard of Tesla, it could be an easy sale. Though, I would argue Hulu is across the gambit of ages. Hulu is a great product, quite like Netflix.

I have a 2 points of clarification -1) I don't want to be the math police but doesn't 1% of 100k = 1000, not 100? 2) I'm not in advertising but isn't one of the best things about internet advertising that it can be targeted to a more specific audience than traditional advertising methods? I'd be surprised if Hulu wasn't able to target the ads towards a specific group, at least to a degree.

I have a 2 points of clarification -1) I don't want to be the math police but doesn't 1% of 100k = 1000, not 100? 2) I'm not in advertising but isn't one of the best things about internet advertising that it can be targeted to a more specific audience than traditional advertising methods? I'd be surprised if Hulu wasn't able to target the ads towards a specific group, at least to a degree.

Wow, I must have been tired. You are right about those numbers. Ha!

I am not a lawyer, but I would check with marketing at Tesla to make sure this doesn't upset them, or undercut their message.

I would think there is potential for unofficial videos to accidentally distribute misinformation. Or in the case of a crafty competitor: not-so-accidentally...

I have Emailed George Blankenship, We are looking into all of the logistics here, thanks for the tip. I think that putting $100 into this could easily bring up demand, thus paying you back with the stock price! Similar thinking to Tesla's new financing program!

Keep us posted, Clprenz. If you need a hand to look into anything and help you out, let me know. I am new to this sort of stuff but will help research if need be. :)

Have contacted Hulu all day, very quick responses, It looks like about $.06 per view. Unfortunately they have a minimum of $15,000 a month to spend. Looks like we need to raise a lot. I will post a blog soon on the subject once I open a Crowd fund, any suggestions? Waiting on a response from Tesla Marketing I will update soon. set the demographics at age 25-54. Any Questions/Comments?
Thus. 225,000 views

Last edited:
So we do one month, and if everyone chips in $100 we'd need 150 people to contribute. That may be a somewhat tall order but who knows. If we get 600 to put in $25 we'd be good too.

Did you specify that they must be unique so they don't just play the ad over and over to the same people?

Thanks for that question, I'll send it over. Thanks for your support of the commercial and good job in it! I think that it possible to get this 15k. We need about 16k to pay the crowdfund fee.