Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Crowd Funding a SCH100 EV Charging Station in Grand Falls-Windsor, NL

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
How did the SCH meeting go?

A charger in GFW would greatly assist me in visiting my sister in St. Albans, so I'm very interested in making sure you're successful in getting a fast EVSE installed.

FWIW, I'm in favor of spending the money on the booster. The extra 15% charging speed would sure come in handy.

How did the SCH meeting go?

A charger in GFW would greatly assist me in visiting my sister in St. Albans, so I'm very interested in making sure you're successful in getting a fast EVSE installed.

FWIW, I'm in favor of spending the money on the booster. The extra 15% charging speed would sure come in handy.

Meeting was very good! They were impressed we were able to raise the funds so quickly. All thanks to several extremely generous donations. I'm still blown away by people stepping up.

We discussed the following:

Time Frame - Should be no problem to have charger installed and operational by June. The SCH100 unit itself in is the process of being paid for upfront which should be completed this week and then SCH assured me they will work quickly to select a suitable host location as soon as possible.

Location - We agreed that actually finding a suitable host location will be the hardest part. I have sent SCH a document with a list of business that are possible candidates in a location i believe it should be installed. That location is basically anywhere on Cromer Avenue which is right off the TCH. Anywhere on this street you would be in walking distance to dozens for food establishments, shopping, banks, etc. This is almost the only location in GFW where its possible to have everything near by making it ideal. The only downside of this location is that it is not next to a hotel. There a only a few hotels even located in GFW and none of them are located next to other amenities. All the same, this will be the fastest charger on the island so I suspect that it will be used much of as a "middle of the day" charger on route to another destination. There is also not much to see in GFW either so people will be passing through more than stopping to stay I also suspect.

Electrical Supply - I mentioned about looking for a 240 V supply and he said that they will definitely look into this at potential host locations.

We are still looking for another $1,500 to get us to our goal of $6,000 so if there are any other TMC members willing to donate that would be awesome! I am going to hold off on calling all my aunts and uncles until I absolutely have to ;)

I am in for a hundred bucks. We plan to drive out there next year from Alberta to celebrate the 150. (I'll be fifty and Canada will be one hundred and fifty, so Canada and I are going to celebrate.) I doubt that we will use that charger, since we plan to stay at those chalets down the road that you mentioned, but it feels good to participate in EV progress in a cool part of Canada.

Hello! Sorry I haven't posted an update on this project for awhile! It has mainly been because we have been have a difficult time locating a host location in GFW and I didn't want to report back until I had some good news! :)

A small business owner in GFW is interested in hosting the charger. He owns a convenience store/restaurant/small hotel and reached out to me today. He is located in the downtown of the town which is next to several restaurants and other places of interest. He has single phase service so the full 240V is available at 80A!

Here is where I need advice: I am trying to find the best way to help him understand how the demand changes will effect his overall electricity costs. Perhaps I need some help here to understand as well but here is what commercial rates are in Newfoundland:

Demand Charges: $9.1/kW (Dec-Mar) and $6.40 the other months.
Energy Charges: $0.10/kWh for the first 3500 kWh in a month and then $0.08/kWh after that.

So the energy charges are pretty simple to estimate. Assume 25 charges per year, 75 kWh average charge and worst case of always $0.10/kWh is less than $200 a year.

However, on the demand charges side it could be quite pricey right? Worst case scenario is if charging coincided with their existing peak loads and added an additional 20 kW peak, wouldn't that increase their demand charges by $180-120 per month or $1,680/year? That is a quite significant cost and not sure if this small business would just be able to absorb these costs.

What are other peoples thoughts on demand charges?

Hello! Sorry I haven't posted an update on this project for awhile! It has mainly been because we have been have a difficult time locating a host location in GFW and I didn't want to report back until I had some good news! :)

A small business owner in GFW is interested in hosting the charger. He owns a convenience store/restaurant/small hotel and reached out to me today. He is located in the downtown of the town which is next to several restaurants and other places of interest. He has single phase service so the full 240V is available at 80A!

Here is where I need advice: I am trying to find the best way to help him understand how the demand changes will effect his overall electricity costs. Perhaps I need some help here to understand as well but here is what commercial rates are in Newfoundland:

Demand Charges: $9.1/kW (Dec-Mar) and $6.40 the other months.
Energy Charges: $0.10/kWh for the first 3500 kWh in a month and then $0.08/kWh after that.

So the energy charges are pretty simple to estimate. Assume 25 charges per year, 75 kWh average charge and worst case of always $0.10/kWh is less than $200 a year.

However, on the demand charges side it could be quite pricey right? Worst case scenario is if charging coincided with their existing peak loads and added an additional 20 kW peak, wouldn't that increase their demand charges by $180-120 per month or $1,680/year? That is a quite significant cost and not sure if this small business would just be able to absorb these costs.

What are other peoples thoughts on demand charges?

Josh, would there be anyone at Sun Country that you could reach out to for advice on this...they must have had some idea about the demand charges when speaking to the other host sites.

Josh, would there be anyone at Sun Country that you could reach out to for advice on this...they must have had some idea about the demand charges when speaking to the other host sites.

Unfortunately, I have become disappointed in SCH more and more over the last couple of months. I've tried repeatedly to get updates from them with no success. I've tried via email and phone and very little luck. I reached out three times last week and did not get a single response from them. I have asked several times for a list of businesses they've contacted but they ignore my request. The only reason that I have found three potential hosts sites now is because of my own efforts. They were very quick to take the money to pay for the charger and after that its like we don't exist anymore. Very poor customer service.

By chance I happened to come across Electric Motor Werks new 75 amp EVSE this weekend. I was not ware they made a 75 amp option until now. We could get a 75 A JuiceBox for about $1,700 tax and shipping in compared to the $3,300 that the SCH100 costs. That is a $1,600 difference for a device that will provide the same performance. They have a commercial use version (Electric Motor Werks, Inc. - JuiceBox™ Pro 75C - Commercial Use 75-Amp Wi-Fi EVSE with 24-foot cable) that comes with a commercial use warranty. The only issue is that it does have have UL or CSA certification... They expect to have UL this summer but we can't wait that long to purchase.

We have personally been using a 40A JucieBox for the last 12 months at home and have not had a single issue with it.

Any thoughts on the JuicePack 75A C vs the SCH-100?

As I understand it, the issue with the Juicebox is, as you've mentioned, that it's not CSA approved, or ULC approved or whatever the requirements are this side of the border. I was told UL alone might not be enough up here. It was suggested at one point that having it plugged into a 14-50 socket would make it an appliance and perhaps work around the approval issue. I didn't follow up on that idea. However, if you're looking at a model that pulls more than 40 amps, that wouldn't work anyway.

My look at the smaller Juicebox a few months ago left me with the impression that it was quite configurable to work with time of use charges etc. I don't know how that might be used in your case with demand charges, but perhaps they've got something in the works to incorporate input from a current transformer or something. But it might just be easier to have a donation box on the wall asking users to help with the electricity costs!

It's a shame that hosting a simple 19.2 kW station can cost so much. In Quebec, the small business rate allows for up to 50 kW without any demand charges, so you're golden if you can find a place with peaks of less than 30 kW before charging station installation.

IIRC, the SCH chargers are made by clipper creek. Clipper creek sells them directly for less than $2200.

70/80A Level 2 EVSE CS-100 Hardwired | ClipperCreek

Installing separate electrical service for the charger(s) may be a way to avoid demand charges. The max power may be below the threshold where the utility adds a demand charge. Check with the local utility.

Good Luck,

GSP
Yes we looked at that option but the threshold where utility adds a demand charge is only 10 kW... so even on its own service, assuming its used monthly, they would pay for the 9.6 kW above the 10 which at $9.1/kW would be still be about $1,000 per year in demand charges plus the fee for having another service.

The good news is I think Sun Country High has finally found a host location at the Mount Peyton Hotel in GFW. Apparently the owners were in agreement and are not working with he engineering manger. I am letting SCH handle this one as they have a lot more experience then me in this area. I will post more info as it happens.

Reactions: Jon and Jaff
It's a shame that hosting a simple 19.2 kW station can cost so much. In Quebec, the small business rate allows for up to 50 kW without any demand charges, so you're golden if you can find a place with peaks of less than 30 kW before charging station installation.
Wow that's a pretty sweet deal! I guess with all those excellent hydro resources demand is not a huge problem for them like it is here in NL. We have a good amount of hydro here as well but also have an old thermal generation station that provides a lot of the power and the utility, NL Hydro is just scraping by on the demand side in the winter months. As a result I guess they have to charge a lot of demand to encourage customers to lower their demand.

It's been a long time coming but I can finally say this crowd funded EV charging station in GFW will be operational as of tomorrow!

We had several issues that arose trying to find a host location, old electrical panels, unresponsive electricians to name a few but the wait will have been worth it!

The new SCH-100 charger has been installed at the Riverside Convenience store in GFW. We lucked into finding a 240V supply and room for the 100A breaker so this puppy will be able to dish out about 19 kW making it THE fastest charger here in the province. I will add the charger to Plugshare as soon as I get a chance to go out and try the charger to confirm it is working. We are looking to have a public unveiling of the charger around Thanksgiving weekend. Unfortunately we missed getting the charger installed prior to the summer season for many of the awesome Tesla owners that visited NL this summer, a few of which I had the pleasure to meet. Thank you again for all your support.

I will now begin reaching out to those who were interested in helping fund this charger to collect the funds to cover the remainder of the project cost. So far the only thing that has been paid for is the charger itself and shipping. I will cover the costs for the electrician when he gives me the invoice for the work while we are waiting to receive funds from the donors.

I am open to suggestions on how people would like to send their funds and willing to accommodate however they would like. Two individuals have sent their donations via PayPal. I will send a receipt of payment to everyone I receive funds from.

I will post some more info and pictures of the location when I get to visit the charger. The image below was taken today by the store owner.

14423974_10157514367660434_770309784_o.jpg

Reactions: Jaff