Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Crowd Funding an HPWC in Sheridan, WY — Casper and Gillette to Possibly Follow

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
That's awesome, Gary. Thanks for reaching out.

I'll add that I spoke with my contact in Buffalo at the Deer Park campground--the owner, Kirk. He has about 20 spare 14-50s (240V) that he is happy to provide to us for $5 for 1-3 hours in order to help bridge the Sheridan to Rapid City gap. It is exit 58 on I-90 and is 3/4 miles west of the highway on the right. I called specifically for folks who are travelling east for the Custer rally who would be fully charged in Sheridan and just topping off. I suppose if you were heading west you could eke out Billings, but that would require quite a few hours of charging and might require some further price negotiation.

Andy

Is Deer Park Campground on Plugshare?

Hi Mountain Folk,

I will be blasting though the area on my way to Iowa next week. I am staying Monday night (May 18) at the Hampton Inn in Sheridan, and then need one of these bridging resources to get to Rapid City early Tuesday AM. Given all this activity for the rally, I wanted to make sure than I am not going to converge with too many of you at a scare resource, or choose wisely among Deer Park, the hospital in Gillette, or some other site. Guidance?

BTW, Gary, I will be on too much of a deadline to stop in Bozeman to visit on my way out (and you might not be back anyway), but I hope to catch you on the way back about one week later (probably May 25). I'll be in touch via email.

Hi Vger, I think most of us will be clearing out of Sheridan Monday morning as we leave the area, by Monday evening you should be doing well to have charging access in Sheridan. The Hospital in Gillette is a nice find for bridging to or from Rapid City. We will just be getting home from Coeur d'Alene the evening of May 25, around 8 pm, but you are always Welcome! We'll email and talk more. :)

Hi Mountain Folk,

I will be blasting though the area on my way to Iowa next week. I am staying Monday night (May 18) at the Hampton Inn in Sheridan, and then need one of these bridging resources to get to Rapid City early Tuesday AM. Given all this activity for the rally, I wanted to make sure than I am not going to converge with too many of you at a scare resource, or choose wisely among Deer Park, the hospital in Gillette, or some other site. Guidance?

BTW, Gary, I will be on too much of a deadline to stop in Bozeman to visit on my way out (and you might not be back anyway), but I hope to catch you on the way back about one week later (probably May 25). I'll be in touch via email.

The owner of the Sheridan Hampton Inn has put in HPWC(s) at the Quality Inn in Buffalo, WY. I'm going to try to check it out on Friday when I head to Custer.

The owner of the Sheridan Hampton Inn has put in HPWC(s) at the Quality Inn in Buffalo, WY. I'm going to try to check it out on Friday when I head to Custer.

Wonderful news! Keep us informed.

Buffalo, WY looks like the perfect overnight stop between Billings and Lusk, and between Billings and Rapid City.

The Hampton Inn in Sheridan is on the "Find Us" page, but nothing for Buffalo yet. Hampton Inn Sheridan — Find Us, Tesla Motors

It looks like Tesla is coming through with some good Destination Charging to fill in the I-90 gap while the Supercharger Sites are found, permitted, and installed. I don't know whether it is the offer of many to help with crowd funding, the e-mails to Tesla from many, Tesla's good will, or all of the above, but it's good to see Tesla reaching out to fill the I-90 gap! Thank you all for helping!!!

Even after the Superchargers are in, these "Destination Chargers" will be great overnight stops on Multi-day Supercharger adventures!

It's very exciting to see all these charging locations going in and making EV travel easier with more options. Thank you Bighorn for all that you are doing to help some of these destinations possible! :)

Thanks to Gary and others I found the plug panel at the Campbell County Community Hospital. I had to search around a bit for it so I added arrows to the map to help the next Model S owner find it. There is one panel typical of a RV plugin that has the 1450 (240V X 40A), a 120V X 30A RV plug and a 120V X 20A standard plug and all are in the same panel. I got the typical 33 mph charge rate on the 1450.

CampbellHospArrows.jpg

While I was there the security guard came out and said "I heard there was a Tesla here and I wanted to see one". We chatted for 15 - 20 min and he said it was quite alright to charge and said Karen Clark had authorized it.

Thanks again Gary for making us aware of this option. It is a game (route) changer until the SC comes along.

Any updates on Wyoming HPWC's or Super Charger sites? I broke down and ordered another a HPWC for my office and it will be open for any one to use in Riverton at 98 Gas Hill road. I already have a 50amp 240v with all the wiring to go with a full 80amp next week when the HPWC comes in. I have been having to make a trip or two a month out of state and waiting a few hours at RV parks is starting getting a bit old. When was at the Denver service center a couple weeks ago they told me they where trying to get super chargers on all of I80 before the end of the year and adding a bunch of destination charger in Wyoming in just few weeks. It this true or where they just telling me what I wanted to hear?

Any updates on Wyoming HPWC's or Super Charger sites? I broke down and ordered another a HPWC for my office and it will be open for any one to use in Riverton at 98 Gas Hill road. I already have a 50amp 240v with all the wiring to go with a full 80amp next week when the HPWC comes in. I have been having to make a trip or two a month out of state and waiting a few hours at RV parks is starting getting a bit old. When was at the Denver service center a couple weeks ago they told me they where trying to get super chargers on all of I80 before the end of the year and adding a bunch of destination charger in Wyoming in just few weeks. It this true or where they just telling me what I wanted to hear?

Thanks for making your HPWC available to all. Looking at Tesla's map, chargers in Wyoming will only be around the borders through 2015. Even in 2016 there will still be a hole in the middle of the state in the charging network. Your HPWC will alleviate that a bit.

I understand as Wyoming is the least populated state. I guess there is always some hope that some other company, government or group will toss a few CHAdeMO Chargers around the state. I came across this article: Yellowstone, Teton get $200K for electric vehicles, chargers http://www.ktvb.com/story/news/loca...200k-for-electric-vehicles-chargers/26422065/

Does any one know what kind of chargers are going around Yellowstone? Just a bunch of level 2 or some CHAdeMO?

I understand as Wyoming is the least populated state. I guess there is always some hope that some other company, government or group will toss a few CHAdeMO Chargers around the state. I came across this article: Yellowstone, Teton get $200K for electric vehicles, chargers http://www.ktvb.com/story/news/loca...200k-for-electric-vehicles-chargers/26422065/

Does any one know what kind of chargers are going around Yellowstone? Just a bunch of level 2 or some CHAdeMO?
The charge stations that were installed in Zions National park by this same group were 30 amp J1772. Based on that I would expect the same here.

I suspect 30A chargers in the park, but they could surprise us.

The article says the $200k will be spent on a hybrid car and six chargers. If the car costs, say, $40k (that's just a guess, BTW), that would leave $160k for the chargers. I think most 50kw CHAdeMO chargers are about $50k each, so it won't be those. However, both Efacec and ABB have recently released 20kw-25kw chargers that would gve you about 70mph of range; I haven't seen pricing on these yet, but typically DCQC go for about $1000/kw, so perhaps that's what they're getting. Let's hope so, but I won't be surprised if they get it wrong and install pointless 30 amp ChargePoint chargers.

We are taking a trip from Minneapolis to Missoula, Lolo Pass then Yellowstone in August. Somewhere I read a more detailed article about the Yellowstone and Teton chargers, but I recall them saying the chargers were for govt vehicles only. NO public use. Since there are no chargers we can find in Yellowstone, we are staying 3 days at Rustic Wagon RV Campground and Cabins in West Yellowstone. We have reserved Cabin R which has it's own 30amp outlet. We assume this is for RV folks who need a cabin too. 30amps should be plenty for each day's sortie into the park and certainly enough to get us back to the I-90 Supercharger circuit. (pun intended) The other big bummer is between Sheridan and Rapid City - hoping the public charger at the hospital in Gillette is working or we may spend the night in the emergency room. Oh, forgot to mention, we have a reservation at the Hampton Inn Sheridan so we can use the Tesla Destination charger there.

Last edited:
We are taking a trip from Minneapolis to Missoula, Lolo Pass then Yellowstone in August. Somewhere I read a more detailed article about the Yellowstone and Teton chargers, but I recall them saying the chargers were for govt vehicles only. NO public use. Since there are no chargers we can find in Yellowstone, we are staying 3 days at Rustic Wagon RV Campground and Cabins in West Yellowstone. We have reserved Cabin R which has it's own 30amp outlet. We assume this is for RV folks who need a cabin too. 30amps should be plenty for each day's sortie into the park and certainly enough to get us back to the I-90 Supercharger circuit. (pun intended) The other big bummer is between Sheridan and Rapid City - hoping the public charger at the hospital in Gillette is working or we may spend the night in the emergency room. Oh, forgot to mention, we have a reservation at the Hampton Inn Sheridan so we can use the Tesla Destination charger there.

Remember that an RV, 30-Amp outlet is 120 Volts. Get the correct adapter and you can charge at 7-8 rated mph, not the 16 mph you would get from a 30-Amp, 240-Volt, dryer outlet.