Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Cruise and autopilot not being used!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Had a chat to a fellow owner at Keele superchargers yesterday.
Both very pleased with our vehicle.

However, I explained how vital the adaptive cruise and autopilot were to my journeys, to which he responded...."I have not used either ".

I could not believe it, as they make life so much safer and easier. He listened to how I use mine and said he would give it a go. Hope it opens up a new way of driving for him.

Motorways and certain A roads (anything with a long stretch and no roundabouts) I use it all the time. I wouldn't even attempt it on country roads.

Really no information is given about AP at handover.. I was told 'don't use it until you've driven the car for a while' but no instruction at all about when to use it or anything. Not everyone is reading forums etc. finding everything they can about the car.

• Informative
Reactions: Roy W.
I've had a Model S for 3 years now - with AP1, which has been arguably better than AP2+ for most of that time.

Must say - I don't really like AP and wouldn't pay for it again if / when I replace this car. Its not to be trusted and you need to watch it like a hawk ready to catch it when it lunges off the lane or slams on the brakes for a random shadow. I'll use it occasionally on the motorway when there is almost no other traffic around, and when its daylight and dry. Alternatively I will use it when its nose to tail trafic jam and your just edging forward following the car in front. Otherwise no way and certainly never on a non-divided road.

My wife refuses to use it at all. We find that its just much easier and more relaxing to drive yourself.

TACC is more useful... although it also suffers from the random 'slam on the brakes' syndrome and as such my wife also refuses to use this as well.

I've had a Model S for 3 years now - with AP1, which has been arguably better than AP2+ for most of that time.

Must say - I don't really like AP and wouldn't pay for it again if / when I replace this car. Its not to be trusted and you need to watch it like a hawk ready to catch it when it lunges off the lane or slams on the brakes for a random shadow. I'll use it occasionally on the motorway when there is almost no other traffic around, and when its daylight and dry. Alternatively I will use it when its nose to tail trafic jam and your just edging forward following the car in front. Otherwise no way and certainly never on a non-divided road.

My wife refuses to use it at all. We find that its just much easier and more relaxing to drive yourself.

TACC is more useful... although it also suffers from the random 'slam on the brakes' syndrome and as such my wife also refuses to use this as well.
But according to Elon full self-driving is just around the corner... :)

This pretty much sums up my feelings and also the wife. It's a long way off as yet.
Completely off-topic, I think I may have used your referral code completely randomly when I purchased the car. If indeed it was you (I remember a "fly" reference) did you ever get the free miles? Apologies if it wasn't you!

From what I'm reading dumb cruise control would be useful or just a speed limiter so you can keep your foot on the pedal. I'll reserve my judgement until I actually get my hands on it but it sounds like I won't be using it as much as the dumb cruise control I have currently

I thought I was alone in this. I share the same opinion of AP. It's a novelty right now. The adaptive cruise control works well, except for the occasional mysterious brake-check. That's enough to put me off of it forever. My son is constantly asking me to engage AP, he thinks it's cool. The "cool" factor left me a while ago. Now it's just a tool that has very limited usefulness and appeal. Besides, the car is so fun to drive, I really want to do that myself!

I was experimenting with TACC today on country roads, having used auto-pilot on the motorway, where it is really better suited.
Only one i3 style phantom brake.
I do wish Tesla actually recognised speed limit signs, as it was out by 20 mph in one section (showing 60 mph in a 40 mph), as I have a feeling it would have accelerated up to 60 if I had engaged, and you can only reduce the set speed after it is engaged.

Still early days for me but I like it and use it. However I think its real benefit only comes in on relatively long journeys on suitable roads. I find I spend quite a lot of time on fairly clear motorway, and a bit if time on motorway busy enough for lane discipline to have gone, which are good use cases with very few problems and are also downright boring. I think the moderately busy motorway is a more challenging application for it because more and quicker lane changes are needed, which it's currently a bit sh1t at, and others doing the same tend to frighten it into the odd phantom brake etc.

But for me, because I spend a chunk of time doing this every week, I'll use it for a lot of my miles and it makes a difference to me. I can envisage that with a fairly modest amount of refinement it should become quicker and more confident at lane changes and less likely to phantom brake, which might gradually change the minds of some who don't like it.

My Model 3 experience is similar. AP 2.5 is having way too many phantom breaking incidents for me to use it regularly. My wife has lost all confidence and never use it.
Quite frankly - this is a deal breaker for me. Not buying Tesla another time round when there will more EVs to choose between.

I was experimenting with TACC today on country roads, having used auto-pilot on the motorway, where it is really better suited.
Only one i3 style phantom brake.
I do wish Tesla actually recognised speed limit signs, as it was out by 20 mph in one section (showing 60 mph in a 40 mph), as I have a feeling it would have accelerated up to 60 if I had engaged, and you can only reduce the set speed after it is engaged.

I use TACC quite a bit on the country roads around me, and I'm starting to use Auto-Steer more as it's getting much better. I particularly like the way it'll slow down to make sharper corners and speed up after. But then I'm more intrigued by the capability than relying on it, and I'm hyper-aware of the need to take over in a hurry.

Might be worth checking the Model-3 manual, as there is a way of engaging TACC at the current speed on Model-S/X - instead of pulling the Autopilot lever towards you to engage it, push it all the way down. The set speed limit will immediately capture the current speed and maintain it.

I have also found that if you engage by pulling forward, then immediately push down, you'll prevent the car from accelerating to the speed limit while you adjust the desired speed... but that's not a reliable or preferred way of doing it.

But then you Model-3 folks don't have a separate Autopilot lever so I'm not sure whether there's an alternative engage and if so how it might work...

When we took our test drive in an SR+, the speed dynamically changed - probably satnav recognition rather than signs - but found this online:

Model 3 Owner’s Manual now states Model 3 detects speed limit signs

Which seems to show an entry in the manual about speed assist...and I just looked in my manual too:

Speed Assist.PNG

Reactions: Yev000 and davidmc
The odd braking is a pain in the ... It needs sorting out.

I haven't noticed that the car recognises speed limit signs - it all seems to be done by GPS data, which is odd considering Elon's sensible view of autopilot using camera view rather than GPS data.