Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Cruise Autonomous Vehicles maneuvering around cyclists

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

diplomat33

Average guy who loves autonomous vehicles
Aug 3, 2017
USA
With nearly 1.2M cyclists and scooters riding on San Francisco’s streets each month, it’s critical—and incredibly challenging—to track moving and non-moving objects with precision. Watch how Cruise shares the road with the many cyclists and scooters we encounter every day.

I love these videos. It shows that companies like Cruise have put a lot of work into these challenging urban scenarios. Pretty impressive!

Wow the LIDAR resolution is so low, the cars become unrecognizable at close range.
That is just a visualization, we don't know what the resolution is. Given many say you don't need lidar at all, it is also possible they just don't need high resolution lidar with their set-up.

I wonder where AP stands with cyclists. I know it visualizes them, though typically only at the last second. I always disengage AP around cyclists, probably will for the forseeable future regardless of what the technical capabilities are or will be.

I wonder where AP stands with cyclists. I know it visualizes them, though typically only at the last second. I always disengage AP around cyclists, probably will for the forseeable future regardless of what the technical capabilities are or will be.

AP does pretty well with cyclists, although of course it is super-cautious. Lots of cycle lanes where I live. Interesting to see what a whole team of cyclists looks like on the screen - the main issue (as always) is the low positioning accuracy in the visualisation.