Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Cruise AV successfully completes 1400 unprotected left turns

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

diplomat33

Average guy who loves autonomous vehicles
Aug 3, 2017
USA
Cruise, the self-driving division within General Motors, today released a video reporting it successfully completed 1,400 such turns within a 24 hour period. The test took place on the busy and hilly streets of San Fransisco. Some of the examples on the video show a vehicle cautiously entering an intersection only to wait for another vehicle to pass before making the turn. Other times, the vehicle is assertive and enters the turn without delay. Only four examples are shown, though Cruise insists they have video proof of all 1,400. None of the videos show the Cruise vehicle navigating around crossing pedestrians.
Cruise says its AV successfully completed 1,400 unprotected left hand turns – TechCrunch

I have no reason to doubt Cruise about the 1400 number. It is certainly impressive! Not just unprotected left turns are very tricky but they pulled it off in busy San Francisco.

Now when can I buy one? Demos are nice and all but I want to be able to use it myself.

Now when can I buy one? Demos are nice and all but I want to be able to use it myself.
My guess would be 10 years.
Now, what are the chances that Tesla will sell software capable of unprotected left turns? I would say zero for the next few years. Imagine how vigilant the safety driver has to be in those situations. If the car moves forward just a few feet in error it could cause an accident.

It sounds like their fleet is doing 1400 unprotected lefts every 24 hours. I'm thinking you would have to do about 100,000-1 million unprotected lefts without an accident to be safer than a human. So if they go a year with no disengagements or accidents they've probably gotten that piece of FSD done.

My guess would be 10 years.
Now, what are the chances that Tesla will sell software capable of unprotected left turns? I would say zero for the next few years. Imagine how vigilant the safety driver has to be in those situations. If the car moves forward just a few feet in error it could cause an accident.

It sounds like their fleet is doing 1400 unprotected lefts every 24 hours. I'm thinking you would have to do about 100,000-1 million unprotected lefts without an accident to be safer than a human. So if they go a year with no disengagements or accidents they've probably gotten that piece of FSD done.

I hope it does not take 10 years for Cruise to release a fully autonomous vehicle.

I hope it does not take 10 years for Cruise to release a fully autonomous vehicle.
I'm sure they hope so too! I think we may be at the peak of the "hype cycle"
320px-Gartner_Hype_Cycle.svg.png

Reactions: cwerdna