Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Cruise Control Acting Like AutoPilot

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Within the last week or so, my 2022 M3LR Cruise Control started acting like AutoPilot?
In the past, Cruise Control would set the speed and stick to it like any other car, stay at that speed regardless of all else, until I braked or turned it off.
Now, I have been in perfectly clear dry weather by myself and cruise slowed me down unexpectedly from 49mph to 24mph on a straight flat road. I saw a warning that the passenger pillar camera was (foggy?).
Then, another time cruising at 63mph in a 55 on a clear day, a car in the far ahead distance was turning left. M3LR started freaking out and basically slammed on the brakes to a great degree. I was still at least 8+ car lengths back.
Again, driving up a slight grade (33mph) at dusk and an oncoming vehicle with headlights on, came over the crest into view and the car freaked with all bells and whistles and hard breaking.

I am NOT double-downing the stalk into AutoPilot by mistake, the blue steering wheel is NOT lit up.
I don't understand this mysterious change and why Cruise Control is mysteriously more automated similar to AutoPilot. It has converted Cruise Control to a 'not safe to use' option. I have tried it under varying conditions hoping it to be a 'one off' but the bizarre behaviour has been consistent?

Anyone else?

You don't have FSD Beta by any chance?

And you're not a previous owner of an Radar based car, and now your experiencing the joys of Tesla Vision.

I have FSD beta and it does exactly what you describe, but I don't know if the FSD aspect brought the TACC changes or if it was the Tesla Vision that came with it that resulted in those unwanted changes to TACC behavior.

You don't have FSD Beta by any chance?

And you're not a previous owner of an Radar based car, and now your experiencing the joys of Tesla Vision.

I have FSD beta and it does exactly what you describe, but I don't know if the FSD aspect brought the TACC changes or if it was the Tesla Vision that came with it that resulted in those unwanted changes to TACC behavior.
No FSD. AutoPilot freaks out the wife and I won't use it with "precious cargo" (i.e. kids in the car) due to these weird car reactions. First 2022 Tesla I've been lucky enough to purchase and I do like it. I'm becoming doubtful of the 'over-automation' if a simple cruise control won't just keep your car at the set speed. I've only been able to use both Cruise Control and/or AutoPilot for short periods until it does something that I wouldn't do or deem dangerous. Another example....... AutoPilot drives so close to the center line, almost on it, that it makes me nervous at 60+ mph with oncoming traffic also riding the line.
Thanks for the reply!

Your car has Traffic Aware Cruise control and will slow down and or speed up based upon traffic around you and curves in the road. There is no set speed limit and stick to it like on standard cruise control. Autopilot incorporates both TACC and auto steer. So cruise control cannot act like autopilot by itself.

it sounds like you may be experiencing “phantom braking” in which the car slows down for no apparent reason. There is no known cure for that at this time :D

Reactions: sleepydoc
Your car has Traffic Aware Cruise control and will slow down and or speed up based upon traffic around you and curves in the road. There is no set speed limit and stick to it like on standard cruise control. Autopilot incorporates both TACC and auto steer. So cruise control cannot act like autopilot by itself.

it sounds like you may be experiencing “phantom braking” in which the car slows down for no apparent reason. There is no known cure for that at this time :D
Thanks for the input Wnuk. Hope they fix/change/improve the code soon...... looking for a cure....
"Doctor Doctor! It phantom brakes when I do this!!"
Doctor: "Then don't do that."

Reactions: Wnuk
It will also brake (depending on the road) if the nav system has an incorrect speed limit in the database. The ability to read speed limit signs is getting much better but it still doesn't read them all and will slow if it thinks the speed limit dropped.

There is no “dumb cruise control”, only TACC (traffic aware cruise control) which is a part of the autopilot system. Tesla still describes this as a beta feature and recommends use only on dry, straight roads, such as highways. This info can be found in the owner’s manual (autopilot section) TACC will adjust speed based on speed limits and potential obstacles. As with any driver assist system (not just Tesla’s) it may brake or reduce speed in error.

TACC on my car now brakes if there is a car at an intersection standing still waiting to cross. This is on a four lane divided highway. It is basicly unusable. Add this to Autopilot braking on a clear interstate with no traffic for no reason at all. I used to use Autopilot and TACC a lot, but can’t use them at all anymore. Please at least give me plain old dumb cruise control!

Reactions: Saxgod
I don't understand this mysterious change and why Cruise Control is mysteriously more automated similar to AutoPilot. It has converted Cruise Control to a 'not safe to use' option. I have tried it under varying conditions hoping it to be a 'one off' but the bizarre behaviour has been consistent?
Yep. TACC (and by extension AP) is really bad on cars without radar. Dumb cruise as an option until TACC is no longer considered Beta on vision only cars would be super welcome.

Reactions: Saxgod
The dumb ACC since the last update will show the chevrons in the other lane like your car is supposed to be following it at times. I used to have Beta, but canceled the over priced useless FSD and Beta program.

So, now on the latest release using regular ACC, whether it is traffic aware or not, it is acting stupid. It shouldn't be slowing down and showing arrows like it is following cars in another lane like it is doing. It will hold/slow down with nobody in front of you. You have it set for 70mph for example, the chevrons are showing in the lane next to you, and nobody ahead of your car for 1,000ft at times, and the car will just hold it speed, hesitate etc..I finally cancel the POS and smash the accelerator as cars behind me are riding up my ass now wondering WTF I'm doing slowing all of the sudden.

This isn't/shouldn't be built as part of any cruise control program due to the fact it is more dangerous. Seems more like a bug/flaw in the ACC to me.

FYI - the chevrons in an adjacent lane are AP picking up very slow traffic. As a response it will slow down as well (to limit the speed difference while overtaking). At least that is how it is supposed to work (and has always worked for the past couple of years).

Whether you think that's a good or bad feature is open for discussion of course...

My 2021 M3 is now throwing up collision warnings for cars that are in front of the car in front of me. This happens on long gradual turns where TACC can see the second car in front of me as we go around the turn. The collision detection beeps as if I'm going to hit the car and it shows the car in red on the screen. Keep in mind, the car in red is not the car in front of me, but the car in front of the car in front of me. We are all going the same speed and there is zero chance of me hitting it.

It's like TACC and AP are getting worse instead of better.

• Informative
Reactions: sckor and DeepFrz
My 2021 M3 is now throwing up collision warnings for cars that are in front of the car in front of me. This happens on long gradual turns where TACC can see the second car in front of me as we go around the turn. The collision detection beeps as if I'm going to hit the car and it shows the car in red on the screen. Keep in mind, the car in red is not the car in front of me, but the car in front of the car in front of me. We are all going the same speed and there is zero chance of me hitting it.

It's like TACC and AP are getting worse instead of better.
That's awesome. What could go wrong on the Beltway? Hahaha!!

That's awesome. What could go wrong on the Beltway? Hahaha!!
The TACC in Teslas is complete garbage compared to what I had in the late model Ford and Hyundais that I had prior to the Teslas. Tesla's TACC is just plain is crap. I could count the number of times a year I would have false collision beeps and phantom braking on one hand with those other cars. My MY and M3 could have same number of false positives in one trip to the grocery store. The radar cars might be better but these Vision based cars have terrible TACC.
I'm not talking AP. That's an extension of TACC. I'm talking about good ol TACC. It is the single worst aggravating and embarrassing part of what are otherwise awesome vehicles. When people ask me how do I like my Teslas, I always have to say "I love them BUT..." I don't sugar coat it.

The TACC in Teslas is complete garbage compared to what I had in the late model Ford and Hyundais that I had prior to the Teslas. Tesla's TACC is just plain is crap. I could count the number of times a year I would have false collision beeps and phantom braking on one hand with those other cars. My MY and M3 could have same number of false positives in one trip to the grocery store. The radar cars might be better but these Vision based cars have terrible TACC.
I'm not talking AP. That's an extension of TACC. I'm talking about good ol TACC. It is the single worst aggravating and embarrassing part of what are otherwise awesome vehicles. When people ask me how do I like my Teslas, I always have to say "I love them BUT..." I don't sugar coat it.
completely agree. This is one of Tesla’s biggest fails, IMO. There are many people who aren’t interested in FSD or even AP. They just want a reliable, functional cruise control, like every other car on the market has. There are plenty of apologists here that will try to defend Tesla here. I can only assume they’ve never actually driven a car with working adaptive cruise.

One thing I would note- Tesla considers TACC to be a beta feature (why?) They also view it as part of the auto pilot cluster of features. It explains some things but doesn’t justify them.