Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Cruise Control Acting Like AutoPilot

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Within the last week or so, my 2022 M3LR Cruise Control started acting like AutoPilot?
In the past, Cruise Control would set the speed and stick to it like any other car, stay at that speed regardless of all else, until I braked or turned it off.
Now, I have been in perfectly clear dry weather by myself and cruise slowed me down unexpectedly from 49mph to 24mph on a straight flat road. I saw a warning that the passenger pillar camera was (foggy?).
Then, another time cruising at 63mph in a 55 on a clear day, a car in the far ahead distance was turning left. M3LR started freaking out and basically slammed on the brakes to a great degree. I was still at least 8+ car lengths back.
Again, driving up a slight grade (33mph) at dusk and an oncoming vehicle with headlights on, came over the crest into view and the car freaked with all bells and whistles and hard breaking.

I am NOT double-downing the stalk into AutoPilot by mistake, the blue steering wheel is NOT lit up.
I don't understand this mysterious change and why Cruise Control is mysteriously more automated similar to AutoPilot. It has converted Cruise Control to a 'not safe to use' option. I have tried it under varying conditions hoping it to be a 'one off' but the bizarre behaviour has been consistent?

Anyone else?
No, you are by no means alone. We went to Las Vegas from Phoenix area and encountered the same behavior repeatedly. On divided highways, there seemed to be no issues. Perhaps the clear distinction between lanes helped TACC know what is or is not a likely hazard. Otherwise, random slow-downs triggered by oncoming 18-wheelers or flashing roadside business signs would randomly produce braking. City traffic is similarly annoying but less so. After Tesla cancelled my service appointment about this, I was informed that "TACC is a Beta feature and may operate in an undesirable manner at times." So, here I am, with a car of the future, which has a feature still at the Beta level while cars of the past have that feature in a more useable state. My response was to add my complaint to the NHTSA file about this. I would encourage others with this issue to do the same. The all camera system was not an improvement in this function.

Reactions: sckor
Does anyone know how to program your autopilot cruise control to "resume" the set speed after breaking. It's a pain to have to continually reset it.
There’s no resume function I. Teslas like there is other cars. If you have it set to follow the speed limit it will automatically set at that speed every time you turn it on, but if you want a different speed it won’t do that.