Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Cruise Control and AP... kicking a dead horse

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I picked up a brand new Model 3 (base model) in December 2021 and have since put 14,000 miles on it, mostly from my 120 mile roundtrip work commute. Thankfully, I have a reverse commute, and it is 98% highway driving.

I have a few complaints regarding the autopilot and cruise control.

1. I will get phantom braking with both systems while on the highway. I have had occasions where I am certain had there been someone tailgating me, I would have been rear ended, so severe and abrupt was the deceleration. Most of the time there is no obvious trigger, although I sometimes suspect shadows, the sun or gradual road undulations (like going up a gradual hill) have something to do with it. One instance I am sure has triggered it is when I am passing large trailers while I am in the left lane. These are typically not semis with normal trailers, but wide, metal frame trailers that landscapers tow with pick up trucks (these are omnipresent here in Houston). I have to say that the most recent software update seems to have greatly diminished phantom breaking when passing trailers. However, the apparently random phantom braking (from shadows or undulations or whatever) persist at the same frequency.

2. Autopilot in my Model 3 is restricted to 80 mph. If you put your foot on the accelerator and hit 82 or 83 mph (say to pass someone), the system goes into red-alert and shuts off AP and prevents you from turning it back on until you stop the car. Here in Texas, we have posted highway speeds of 75 mph. Most people are going 80-85 mph. So in order to pass someone here, realistically you are going to be triggering red alert mode all the time. On my long commute, this is highly inconvenient. I am not sure if this is a limitation they have put in due to using cameras exclusively instead of radar, but it would be much appreciated if they raised the AP limit to 85-90 mph or at a minimum raised the threshold for shutting the system down to 90 mph (instead of the current 82 or 83 mph).

3. The cruise control is terrible when accelerating back to your set speed--the rate of acceleration is so slow that I often get people passing me using the right lane. No other car or SUV I have owned or driven has had adaptive CC with acceleration this languid. It doesn't need to be pedal to the metal, but c'mon, I feel like my grandmother with the acceleration of the current CC.

I am planning to take a 1000 mile road trip with the family this summer. I would love to take the Tesla, but the above issues are giving me serious pause (especially points 1 and 3). The phantom braking issue is particularly startling and jarring for passengers, presumably because they are not bracing something like the steering wheel when it occurs. It is such an absolute pity, because the Model 3 is a tremendous highway cruiser when you ignore the issues with the autonomous systems.

Reactions: Jane4
I agree with all 3 of your points but it certainly wouldn’t cause me to switch to an ICE for my vacation. This might be pissing in the wind but whenever the phantom braking occurs I make a note of the time and then send an email to Tesla support. Not sure if they look at them anymore but back in 2018 I actually got a follow-up email.

I don't get phantom breaking on freeways anymore. I am in the FSD Beta, but I was assuming it didn't impact freeway driving
That's great. For me, severe occurrences happen a couple of times a week (I am driving 600+ highway miles a week) . I'll typically cuss at the car with a loud F-bomb when it happens, lol. I could live without AP (although it is nice and I appreciate its added safety when it's not trying to kill me) but I cannot live without CC. I really wish they would enable non-adaptive CC until they get the phantom breaking issue sorted.

Before I got FSD Beta, I did notice that PB never seemed to occur if I was following another car, only if I was passing with no one close in front of me. Basically as long as a car showed on the display in the same lane as me, I never had one

Reactions: Mark II
I don't consider #2 or #3 showstoppers for a road trip.

For #2, the whole point of AP is to allow you to relax more and not worry about passing people all the time. Set your speed to 79 and stay in the lane. If someone is going absurdly slow, say, 65, then you don't really need to accelerate from your set speed to pass. If they're just barely slower than you, say 75mph, I'd not worry about it and just follow. But if it bothers you, then manually disengage, pass, then turn AP back on. That doesn't feel burdensome to me.

For #3, this was a relatively newer change to AP, maybe tied to when they introduced vision-only, and I agree it's kind of annoying. But easy workaround is to just tap the go pedal and get yourself up to speed again, then relax.

#1 def is a showstopper for a long trip if your car frequently does hard braking. Back when my radar was still in use, I would get overpass and sign braking. I would just have my foot hovering over the go pedal and cancel out the braking if I felt it. Works for shorter drives like a daily commute, but I wouldn't want to be hovering my foot over the accelerator for a road trip.

I'm on FSDb vision only, and I very very rarely get phantom braking on the highway anymore. Despite being on FSDb, the old AP code takes over on the highway, so theoretically it should be the same as non FSDb cars. I do feel bad for people who still get hard braking. I have no idea why there's poor performance for some cars.

I think the speed you are driving on the Freeway makes a lot of difference on your experience with NOA,

I drive mainly at 74 mph on California I-5 (speed limit 70mph) between San Francisco and Los Angeles. A relaxing drive without worry of being caught by CHP, where they usually give you a ticket over 80 mph. Also if there is Phantom Breaking (one or two mild ones on my 300 miles drive usually on the same spot) the differential is not that big to cause any big alarm. If I want to pass some one at 74 mph, I disengage first, For me the faster by 4 or 5 miles per hour of driving is not that big a deal compared to the relaxation I get for a long drive. 10 to 15 minutes late to my next Supercharger is OK.

The biggest complaint I have on NOA is the lane change confirmation notification timing. I-5 is a 2 lanes Freeway and you get behind slow trucks quite often. NOA will want to change lane too close to the slow truck and usually with faster cars on the left behind very close too. Which makes the situation that much more complicated and unsafe. So I have to watch for slow trucks on my lane and cars at a distance behind on the left and initiate the lane change myself. Also, NOA will center car on lane even with big trucks almost touching the lane lines. NOA will not speed up fast, move slightly left on lane, when passing slow trucks even at maybe 65 mph.

Reactions: Joe Schmoe88
I just disabled automatic lane changes for speed in NoA. And I have lane change confirmation disabled as well (chime only). That way it's never trying to change lanes all the time on the freeway to find the faster option. If I feel my lane is getting too slow, I just hit the blinkers and the car changes lanes for me and stays in that new lane until navigation forces it to change to maintain the route.

Reactions: Mark II
I just disabled automatic lane changes for speed in NoA. And I have lane change confirmation disabled as well (chime only). That way it's never trying to change lanes all the time on the freeway to find the faster option. If I feel my lane is getting too slow, I just hit the blinkers and the car changes lanes for me and stays in that new lane until navigation forces it to change to maintain the route.
This sounds like a good approach - do you have the phantom braking ? Almost want to cancel my M3 when I hear about that and delivery-service problems -

Limited top speed for AP is due to camera only system. There's no radar or lidar for long range detection, and camera resolution/processor is not good enough to handle items far away.

I doubt they can raise to 90 without hardware change.

I picked up a brand new Model 3 (base model) in December 2021 and have since put 14,000 miles on it, mostly from my 120 mile roundtrip work commute. Thankfully, I have a reverse commute, and it is 98% highway driving.

I have a few complaints regarding the autopilot and cruise control.

1. I will get phantom braking with both systems while on the highway. I have had occasions where I am certain had there been someone tailgating me, I would have been rear ended, so severe and abrupt was the deceleration. Most of the time there is no obvious trigger, although I sometimes suspect shadows, the sun or gradual road undulations (like going up a gradual hill) have something to do with it. One instance I am sure has triggered it is when I am passing large trailers while I am in the left lane. These are typically not semis with normal trailers, but wide, metal frame trailers that landscapers tow with pick up trucks (these are omnipresent here in Houston). I have to say that the most recent software update seems to have greatly diminished phantom breaking when passing trailers. However, the apparently random phantom braking (from shadows or undulations or whatever) persist at the same frequency.

2. Autopilot in my Model 3 is restricted to 80 mph. If you put your foot on the accelerator and hit 82 or 83 mph (say to pass someone), the system goes into red-alert and shuts off AP and prevents you from turning it back on until you stop the car. Here in Texas, we have posted highway speeds of 75 mph. Most people are going 80-85 mph. So in order to pass someone here, realistically you are going to be triggering red alert mode all the time. On my long commute, this is highly inconvenient. I am not sure if this is a limitation they have put in due to using cameras exclusively instead of radar, but it would be much appreciated if they raised the AP limit to 85-90 mph or at a minimum raised the threshold for shutting the system down to 90 mph (instead of the current 82 or 83 mph).

3. The cruise control is terrible when accelerating back to your set speed--the rate of acceleration is so slow that I often get people passing me using the right lane. No other car or SUV I have owned or driven has had adaptive CC with acceleration this languid. It doesn't need to be pedal to the metal, but c'mon, I feel like my grandmother with the acceleration of the current CC.

I am planning to take a 1000 mile road trip with the family this summer. I would love to take the Tesla, but the above issues are giving me serious pause (especially points 1 and 3). The phantom braking issue is particularly startling and jarring for passengers, presumably because they are not bracing something like the steering wheel when it occurs. It is such an absolute pity, because the Model 3 is a tremendous highway cruiser when you ignore the issues with the autonomous systems.
Have you tried re-calibrating the autopilot cameras? I've heard that can improve things if your cameras are out of whack. It did not do much for me, but all of my phantom braking problems ended long ago. Current software recently raised the upper limit to 85.

Reactions: alangold
I recently went on a road trip from the Dallas area to Kansas City. I used Autopilot a lot on the way up until we had a couple of hard phantom braking incidents within about five minutes on a four lane divided highway In north east Kansas. Thankfully the cars behind us were not too close. I suspect it was due to heat waves in the distance causing visual distortion - pure vision Model 3. After that my wife would not allow Autopilot use for the rest of the trip. That made for a much less relaxing trip for me as the driver. I will try recalibrating the cameras and see if it helps the next time I’m on the road alone…haha!