Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Cruise control and autopilot slamming brakes when passing under blinking yellow lights on rural highway...

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have owned a new model 3 (with autopilot) for 3 weeks now. I have a long rural commute (60 miles each way), and I encounter blinking yellow lights over one of the highways twice along the route. The cruise control and autopilot both essentially *slam* the brakes as I approach the lights (both systems actually wait until I am probably within 30 feet of the lights--maybe less--before they slam the brakes).

Keep in mind that the posted speed limit on this highway is 75mph and most are usually doing 80+ mph! This obviously creates an extremely dangerous situation. The fact that this occurs with cruise control too is beyond ridiculous. I've noticed that when the flashing yellow lights are on the side of the road, the systems handle it appropriately and slow down slightly and more gradually. It is the situation where the lights are overhead (like a typical intersection traffic light) that the systems apparently think I am running a red light. Absolutely unacceptable that his is happening, and I am amazed someone hasn't been killed yet.

Last edited:
I have owned a new model 3 (with autopilot) for 3 weeks now. I have along long rural commute (60 miles each way), and I encounter blinking yellow lights over one of the highways twice along the route. The cruise control and autopilot both essentially *slam* the brakes as I approach the lights (both systems actually wait until I am probably within 30 feet of the lights--maybe less--before they slam the brakes).[...] Keep in mind that the posted speed limit on this highway is 75mph and most are usually doing 80+ mph!

Elon doesn't like the Choo-choo's. :cool:
Mine does the same thing, though its less exciting at slower town RR crossings.

Absolutely unacceptable that his is happening, and I am amazed someone hasn't been killed yet.

Give it time.
I'm sure some Tesla-flunkies will chime in explaining why this is a wonderful "safety feature" and is "good for you".
😨

Elon doesn't like the Choo-choo's. :cool:
Mine does the same thing, though its less exciting at slower town RR crossings.

Give it time.
I'm sure some Tesla-flunkies will chime in explaining why this is a wonderful "safety feature" and is "good for you".
😨
It's not a rail road crossing. It's an intersection on a rural highway, which I guess is just busy enough that the authorities believed warranted yellow blinking lights on the main road.

• Informative
Reactions: ElectricIAC
Because of all the bad press Tesla gets, out of an abundance of caution, it slows for blinking yellows (and yes...it slows too much). It happens to me too in our town. However, since getting into the FSD beta program, I can tell you that it handles the blinking yellows much better. As they move parts of the FSD stack to standard AP, you should see some improvements.

Because of all the bad press Tesla gets, out of an abundance of caution, it slows for blinking yellows (and yes...it slows too much). It happens to me too in our town. However, since getting into the FSD beta program, I can tell you that it handles the blinking yellows much better. As they move parts of the FSD stack to standard AP, you should see some improvements.
It seems like it needs to get too close to the overhead lights before it detects them. Moreover, I don't think it has time to detect that they are actually blinking (instead of what it would see at a normal traffic intersection where the lights remain on each color for extended periods). It then emergency brakes as a result of this late detection apparently. The high speed of these particular intersections (80 mph) in my case probably exacerbates the issue.

Last edited:
Not a fix (from Tesla) but, at least it’s predictable so you can press the accelerator as you approach and override its skittishness.
Yes, this is what I do. But because of the length of my commute, and the fact that it is 99% highway and is a reverse commute (so little traffic), I can't live without cruise control. And having to "tune-in" to make sure I am not killed by a system that is ostensibly there to protect me is a bit annoying. Also, because my speed is about 80mph, having to hit the accelerator to avoid emergency braking when autopilot is engaged is an issue since the max speed for autopilot is 80mph.

Yes, this is what I do. But because of the length of my commute, and the fact that it is 99% highway and is a reverse commute (so little traffic), I can't live without cruise control. And having to "tune-in" to make sure I am not killed by a system that is ostensibly there to protect me is a bit annoying. Also, because my speed is about 80mph, having to hit the accelerator to avoid emergency braking when autopilot is engaged is an issue since the max speed for autopilot is 80mph.
You mean 93 (or 150kph)

What do you mean? Is there something I can do to raise the autopilot max speed beyond what I am currently expressly limited to (80 mph)?
Yeah your car is a non-radar car, that’s why you have the 80 limitation.

Also, is there an easy way to shut off cruise control other than tapping the brakes?
Stalk up once to back off AP.

Was getting radar on my new model 3 an option?
Not on Model 3's sold in North America.
Not anymore.

Tesla has been on a spree to de-content Model 3's to save money (HomeLink, auto-dimming mirror, standard 433Mhz TPMS, etc, now front radar).
You still get them on Model S's and X's. BTW, Model S is a much better long distance highway cruiser anyway.

a

I have a similar issue near me where there is a flashing yellow overhead signal and a regular traffic signal about 100 yards apart.

Depending on the lighting, time of day, phase of the moon, random number generator and which direction I am traveling it can do anything from - handle perfectly OR to slam the brakes just as it gets under the yellow flashers like its just noticed them at the last second, and then as I push the go pedal to override, decides to also slow down for the green light.
If there is any traffic I end up preemptively driving manually to avoid a rear ending.

Reactions: Phil Stasik
Not on Model 3's sold in North America.
Not anymore.

Tesla has been on a spree to de-content Model 3's to save money (HomeLink, auto-dimming mirror, standard 433Mhz TPMS, etc, now front radar).
You still get them on Model S's and X's. BTW, Model S is a much better long distance highway cruiser anyway.

a

Heated steering wheel, Rear trunk powered open/close, new console (improved) with cordless charging built in, new usb jack for sentry mode in the glove box. I also think the new version is quieter on the road. New/more wood accenting in the cabin. Improved “door open” buttons (lit & monogrammed to show what they are for).

Not sure if the tpms change being referred too but my wife’s new M3LR is showing tire pressure in the ui.

Same thing here. Under autopilot, had a hard time. Under the FSD beta, not an issue.

Reactions: Phil Stasik