Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Cruise control and speed limit warning

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Dear all,

In the car parameters, I can enable a sound warning when driving faster than the speed limit known by the car. And to avoid repetitive beeps when driving just 1kph above the limit, I can set a tolerance, such as 5kph. That's good!

But : setting the tolerance above zero also seems to change the cruise control behavior. As soon as I do a single pull on the AP lever, the cars sets its speed to the current speed limit plus the tolerance.

That's rather annoying : on a 110kph road, I would like the cruise control to go at 110kph. And I would like to hear the speed warning only if I'm above 115kph. But I can't have both, the cruise controls sets itself to 115kph when turned on, and I have to trim it down manually every time. Is this normal?

And do you know why is the cruise control not adapting the max speed automatically when the speed limit changes? I have to manually adjust the speed all the time, or switch the cruise control off and on again to update the speed limit. At least, they could add the feature that a single pull, when already in cruise control, does update the speed to the current limit. In brittany, the speed limit goes from 110 to 90 and back every five minutes!

Cheers!

Reactions: markn455
Dear all,

In the car parameters, I can enable a sound warning when driving faster than the speed limit known by the car. And to avoid repetitive beeps when driving just 1kph above the limit, I can set a tolerance, such as 5kph. That's good!

But : setting the tolerance above zero also seems to change the cruise control behavior. As soon as I do a single pull on the AP lever, the cars sets its speed to the current speed limit plus the tolerance.

That's rather annoying : on a 110kph road, I would like the cruise control to go at 110kph. And I would like to hear the speed warning only if I'm above 115kph. But I can't have both, the cruise controls sets itself to 115kph when turned on, and I have to trim it down manually every time. Is this normal?

And do you know why is the cruise control not adapting the max speed automatically when the speed limit changes? I have to manually adjust the speed all the time, or switch the cruise control off and on again to update the speed limit. At least, they could add the feature that a single pull, when already in cruise control, does update the speed to the current limit. In brittany, the speed limit goes from 110 to 90 and back every five minutes!

Cheers!
Yes, that is the way the speed alert and cruise control settings work. I think they are two distinct concepts, but that is not the way it is implemented. What you describe is normal.

As to your second question, if you pull and hold the cruise control wand, it will reset to the current speed limit recognized by the car. In fact, if you are going through a series of limit changes or a small town with a limit change, you can just hold the wand toward you and it will do all of the limit changes you experience.

I don't know why Tesla decided to not automatically change the cruise control setting. Probably just as well, as I understand AP2 cars are not very good at recognizing the speed limit signs yet.

Note that these behaviors are the US version -- no idea if the EU behavior is different.