Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Cruise control annoyingly timid

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The recommended safe following distance according to all driver training schools is 2 seconds.
This has not been the case for some time, and 3 seconds is now taught in NSW and Victoria.

The 2 seconds is still in Your Keys to Driving in Queensland, 1.5 seconds of that 2 seconds is just your reaction time!

One of the biggest driving schools teaches 3 seconds.

Much like the chevrons used on French (and probably other European) motor ways.
There are chevrons on sections of the M1 around Newcastle and the Sunshine Coast and probably other places.

The 2023 user manual is non specific other than that bigger numbers are a longer gap. Looking at the US Y forums I picked up the following two tit-bits:

"I got pulled over in my Model S by the Montana Highway Patrol for following too closely a couple of weeks ago. He said my following distance was 1.8 seconds. My TACC was set to "3". I then set it up to "7" and timed the following time, which turned out to be roughly 2.3 seconds. Apparently, in Montana, the legal following distance is "3-4 seconds." Since the freeway speed limit is 80 mph, that puts the minimum following distance at 352 feet, or roughly 25 car lengths. The patrolman didn't give me a ticket."

and

"
I got pulled over in Montana for not maintaining a 4-second following distance.

Tesla's 7 setting maintains about 2.5 seconds."

• Informative
Reactions: Hairyman
The 2023 user manual is non specific other than that bigger numbers are a longer gap.
Link to the current Australian Model 3 user manual, it's specific and clear.

Quote:

Adjust the Following Distance​

To adjust the following distance you want to maintain between Model 3 and a vehicle traveling ahead of you, press the steering wheel's right scroll button to the left or right. Each setting corresponds to a time-based distance that represents how long it takes for Model 3, from its current location, to reach the location of the rear bumper of the vehicle ahead of you. Your setting is retained until you manually change it.
The closest following distance is 2.

Link to the current Australian Model 3 user manual, it's specific and clear.
Yes I did, but it does not tell me what the numbers mean other than 7 is further/longer and 2 is shorter/closer. In my view it is not specific.

How do you know 2 means 2secs and 3 means 3secs? It does not say what the numbers are, just that they "correspond" to the "time based distance".

The 2023 user manual is non specific other than that bigger numbers are a longer gap. Looking at the US Y forums I picked up the following two tit-bits:

"I got pulled over in my Model S by the Montana Highway Patrol for following too closely a couple of weeks ago. He said my following distance was 1.8 seconds. My TACC was set to "3". I then set it up to "7" and timed the following time, which turned out to be roughly 2.3 seconds. Apparently, in Montana, the legal following distance is "3-4 seconds." Since the freeway speed limit is 80 mph, that puts the minimum following distance at 352 feet, or roughly 25 car lengths. The patrolman didn't give me a ticket."

and

"
I got pulled over in Montana for not maintaining a 4-second following distance.

Tesla's 7 setting maintains about 2.5 seconds."
How can a legal follow distance be 3 to 4 seconds. It cannot be a range. its like saying the speed limit is 60 to 70 km/hr

Have done basic questions.
How do I start cruise control and set the speed?
What is Tacc -
And auto steer. I turned on auto steer (beta). Is it needed for cruise control to work?

Can you point me up thread that addresses basics. Am sure it had been answered a million times. Not requesting to repeat of that is the case.

What is Tacc -
And auto steer. I turned on auto steer (beta). Is it needed for cruise control to work?

Can you point me up thread that addresses basics. Am sure it had been answered a million times. Not requesting to repeat of that is the case.
Starting cruise control depends on the tesla model you have. Starting it is well explained in the relevant manual available on your big screen.
TACC is traffic aware cruise control, so it speeds up and slows down with traffic, and just for a laugh it occasionally stops abruptly when no traffic at all. It also reacts to cars crossing in front of you several hundred metres away.
Auto steer does exactly that, it steers for you between two lines, or next to a single line. You can select just tacc or tacc with autosteer

What is Tacc -

Official Tesla explanation video.

• Helpful
Reactions: Hairyman