Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Cruise control / Auto Pilot is Garbage

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'd like to know why when I backup, especially in a parking lot I don't get warned of oncoming cars or people walking behind my car. My wife's Lexus does it.
I do miss this feature from my Chevy Equinox. It worked so well. I'd be very slowly starting to back out of a parking spot and it would quickly beep if a car was coming from any direction. The best part is, the beep would be the loudest from whichever speaker is in the direction the car is coming from, so it would draw your attention to that side first, or the backup camera.

Reactions: rishid
I do miss this feature from my Chevy Equinox. It worked so well. I'd be very slowly starting to back out of a parking spot and it would quickly beep if a car was coming from any direction. The best part is, the beep would be the loudest from whichever speaker is in the direction the car is coming from, so it would draw your attention to that side first, or the backup camera.
Me too. Had it on my 2016 mazda 6 wagon years ago. How far agead ist Tesla again? 🙃

Reactions: rishid
I was NOT on autopilot. The car normally reads the speed limit sign and it changes on the touchscreen. For School Zones. FAIL.......I am using Autopilot less. My
2017 Prius did just as good a job in cruise control
Are school zone speed limits conditional in your area? They are here, so it makes sense here that the AP would maintain the normal speed limit and depend on the driver to modify that limit if the special condition is met (kids present).

Reactions: WhiteWi
I've had my Model Y for 2,500 miles. I really like the car. I love how it drives, the tech, the supercharger network, etc.

My main complaint with the car is that cruise control & auto pilot are pretty much unusable.

I've had repeated issues with phantom breaking. It seems to usually happen when approaching overpasses or exit signs over the highway. I don't understand how Tesla hasn't fixed this issue. It doesn't matter if it's daytime or night. I drove to the mountains at 4 am this morning and literally had phantom breaking on the highway 5x in 5 minutes. I have my settings to keep cruise control at my set speed (not the option to refer to the speed limit signs). I watched it this morning and I had the speed set to 70. Every time, I could see the speed limit on the screen drop from my set speed to 50 mph.

How are they going to perfect full self-driving if they can't even resolve this problem? Just ranting here as the car would be near perfect if they would fix this.
Have had my MY for a month now, about 3300 miles. I've had a few instances of phantom breaking, all in early morning or late afternoon when sun is low in sky and long shadows are across the highway. Haven't had any instances at night. The speed has also been remarkably accurate.

I have FSD (not the beta) with all beta features turned on, if that differs from your configuration. Any chance you have dirt or something partially blocking the front camera?

This is not a complaint to me make happy How would you like to back out of a space and a car comes flying by you. Seen plenty of crashes and near misses. What's the point of the rear back and side cameras if it can see a car but doesn't warn you?
Lol. Elitist first world problems. Guess turning your neck is below you fine sir.

Yes, it’s my view. But, why shouldn’t a helpful safety feature not be made available (if possible)? Don’t we all want the car to help a driver to avoid an accident (I am not saying we rely on it and don’t look. I am saying if it thinks there is a possibility then it should)
Sure, maybe in the future Elon will focus on that or not since cars will drive themselves. That is the end goal. Not beeps or orange lights in your mirror. No one is twisting peoples arms to buy Tesla. If you don’t like missing features don’t buy a product or learn to live without it. Very simple.

I just had a rental car in Texas. I drove about 1000 miles. It was the latest GEN Toyota Camry. It had their latest suite of adaptive cruise, lane change, emergency braking, etc. In the 1000 miles that I drove, all kinds a very traffic conditions, in Dallas and Houston, I never had a single issue of phantom braking. No false warnings of anything.

It makes me realize how terrible those features work on my MYLR. I was cringing driving the Camry at first every time I went through a tree shaded area where my MY would have issues discerning things using vision only. I was anticipating having to give it throttle so I wouldn't be rear-ended like when my MY would hit the brakes because it was spooked by apparently a shadow.

I'd rather have something simpler that consistently works than supposedly a better system with a lot of issues. My experience, in my areas and use cases, shows that it is more of a beta product than something ready for production. If my wife had been driving the car, she wouldn't have reacted like I did when the MY braked hard and we would have been rear ended a few times for sure.

I love a lot of things about my car but this is an area where it is clearly deficient. Maybe it is because the vision only isn't up to snuff yet. i don't recall having all these issues on the demo cars I drove (on the same roads) that had radar enabled as well.