Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Cruise control / Auto Pilot is Garbage

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I've had my Model Y for 2,500 miles. I really like the car. I love how it drives, the tech, the supercharger network, etc.

My main complaint with the car is that cruise control & auto pilot are pretty much unusable.

I've had repeated issues with phantom breaking. It seems to usually happen when approaching overpasses or exit signs over the highway. I don't understand how Tesla hasn't fixed this issue. It doesn't matter if it's daytime or night. I drove to the mountains at 4 am this morning and literally had phantom breaking on the highway 5x in 5 minutes. I have my settings to keep cruise control at my set speed (not the option to refer to the speed limit signs). I watched it this morning and I had the speed set to 70. Every time, I could see the speed limit on the screen drop from my set speed to 50 mph.

How are they going to perfect full self-driving if they can't even resolve this problem? Just ranting here as the car would be near perfect if they would fix this.

There are plenty of posts on this and other forums complaining about phantom braking. It's not an "opinion" when your car suddenly slows down while using cruise control just because you go under an overpass. I have experienced it several times as well but so far only during the day when something casts a shadow across the road. IDK if this is only an issue for some cars, our MY is vin 86xxx, 12/2020 build. I do hope this is something that is improved via software.

I have the same issues with AP as the OP, though not to that degree. There's a parkway by my house where the speed limit is 60km/h. There are 60km/hr speed limit that AP recognizers I put it on AP at 60km/hr and it works. One stretch however it always drops the speed limit and forces my cruise to 30km/hr. There are no speed limit signs. It's picked it up from somewhere. I also have my settings to set cruise control at my set speed.
Another section of the main highway it forces my cruise to be max 110km/hr. It still show speed limit of 100km/hr but it won't allow to exceed 100. It will then resume to my CC setting of 130km/hr after that section, 30km/hr over the speed limit.

Reactions: nimustan
For the owners that say "I've never had an issue", that's great. The highways you use cruise control on must not have overpasses or highway exit signs 20 feet in the air. I've had the issue constantly in both auto pilot mode with auto steer and just normal "smart" cruise control where I'm steering. If Tesla developers can't fix the issue, at least put in a software update that gives us "dumb" cruise control where I have to steer and the car maintains the speed I set. I'd rather have that than constantly worry the car is going to decelerate rapidly, while I'm driving 80 mph.

You enable/set "dumb" cruise control by pulling down on the right stalk only once.

There are a couple places where autopilot seems to coast for a bit (not brake) when I pass over/under a bridge. I'm not sure, but I think it might be getting confused which road I'm on and it's speed limit. I've never had this happen on a freeway.

For the owners that say "I've never had an issue", that's great. The highways you use cruise control on must not have overpasses or highway exit signs 20 feet in the air. I've had the issue constantly in both auto pilot mode with auto steer and just normal "smart" cruise control where I'm steering. If Tesla developers can't fix the issue, at least put in a software update that gives us "dumb" cruise control where I have to steer and the car maintains the speed I set. I'd rather have that than constantly worry the car is going to decelerate rapidly, while I'm driving 80 mph.

Phantom braking (which in itself is a funny term as the braking is real, but it is braking for a phantom...) is a pretty big deal breaker if it happens that often. It's odd why it happens, as Tesla is supposed to use the radar radar to help backup the image data, but who knows.

Anyways not much to say, you aren't alone and nobody knows when exactly this issue will be resolved. Good luck and stay safe!

You enable/set "dumb" cruise control by pulling down on the right stalk only once.

There are a couple places where autopilot seems to coast for a bit (not brake) when I pass over/under a bridge. I'm not sure, but I think it might be getting confused which road I'm on and it's speed limit. I've never had this happen on a freeway.

That's still "smart" cruise control where I just have to steer. The car is using the cameras to gauge what's in front of you and slow down if you're approaching another car, so the phantom braking still happens on that setting. I want the car to keep going 80 mph even if I'm 2 inches from the car in front of me, like all cars without active cruise control have. I can change lanes or hit the brakes myself if I'm approaching another car.

I have driven thousands of miles in Nav on Autopilot and have only on very rare occasion experienced phantom braking. Like you said, it is usually with overpasses and seems to have something to do with shadows. Phantom braking though has virtually gone away over the past few years; when I purchased my Model 3 in 2018, it was a major issue. If you are experiencing it at night though, that doesn’t seem right. I have never heard of nighttime phantom braking. I would reach out to your service center.

I will say that the latest update (2020.48.35.5) has screwed up auto pilot pretty good. It happened to me several times this weekend where I turned on AP and the car immediately slowed down/decelerated. It is a pain to be going 75 mph and then have the car dropped to 45 when I engage AP. I'm hopeful that it goes away or is corrected soon. Once I got the car back up to speed by manually accelerating it would keep the correct speed.

It looks like a huge quality check fail on this release to me.

I don't doubt you're experiencing those issues, as I myself have taken my MY in for service for many issues. Since you are experiencing an issue that most people don't, I think a service center appointment might be in order.

I use autopilot every weekend to go for a 110 mile round-trip drive for work. Yes, some phantom breaking but what really twists my shorts is that I’ll be driving happily along and and the speed limit will magically change and my car will drop speed ASAP to get there.

I have not found a way to disable following the speed limit — people have written about the “5 mile over” setting but I cannot find it on my car.

• Love
Reactions: tierneyalvin
I have driven thousands of miles in Nav on Autopilot and have only on very rare occasion experienced phantom braking. Like you said, it is usually with overpasses and seems to have something to do with shadows. Phantom braking though has virtually gone away over the past few years; when I purchased my Model 3 in 2018, it was a major issue. If you are experiencing it at night though, that doesn’t seem right. I have never heard of nighttime phantom braking. I would reach out to your service center.

Thanks. I'm assuming I'll get the ol' "we can't do anything for you - it requires a software fix", but I'll submit a service request and see what happens.

I use autopilot every weekend to go for a 110 mile round-trip drive for work. Yes, some phantom breaking but what really twists my shorts is that I’ll be driving happily along and and the speed limit will magically change and my car will drop speed ASAP to get there.

I have not found a way to disable following the speed limit — people have written about the “5 mile over” setting but I cannot find it on my car.

Unfortunately that won't help the problem. I changed that setting 2 days after getting the car. You can be in cruise (auto steer or not) on the highway with the speed set to 70 mph and have the setting to just go a set speed (ignore speed limit signs). I've witnessed the cruise showing as 70 mph on the screen and out of the blue you'll see that speed drop to 50 mph and feel the car start to brake hard. I don't even know if it really should be called "phantom braking", but there's some software bug that's making the set speed rapidly drop. Even if I'm coming up fast on a slow driver, that set speed should never drop. It should just auto brake to slow me down to my set car distance.