Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Cruise control / Auto Pilot is Garbage

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I will say that the latest update (2020.48.35.5) has screwed up auto pilot pretty good. It happened to me several times this weekend where I turned on AP and the car immediately slowed down/decelerated. It is a pain to be going 75 mph and then have the car dropped to 45 when I engage AP. I'm hopeful that it goes away or is corrected soon. Once I got the car back up to speed by manually accelerating it would keep the correct speed.

It looks like a huge quality check fail on this release to me.
Same here... This almost got me rear ended this past weekend, car behind thought I was brake checking him. I also get the phantom braking, not very often, but it does occur.

• Love
Reactions: tierneyalvin
Yes it is not perfect. It is still waaaaay better than anything else out there. I applaud Tesla of pushing the needle on their self driving platform. It is still not perfect but at least they are moving forward. I saw this video about 3 years ago about Mercedes's fantastic self driving and safety features. They had great demos of their cars doing all this good stuff. I had a 2019 E63 with all the bells and whistles- it was total garbage of what the car was able to do. The other guys may have this fantastic technology, however they don't offer it in their current cars. I'm sure their big fat corporate lawyers are a big factor in this.

• Disagree
Yes it is not perfect. It is still waaaaay better than anything else out there. I applaud Tesla of pushing the needle on their self driving platform. It is still not perfect but at least they are moving forward. I saw this video about 3 years ago about Mercedes's fantastic self driving and safety features. They had great demos of their cars doing all this good stuff. I had a 2019 E63 with all the bells and whistles- it was total garbage of what the car was able to do. The other guys may have this fantastic technology, however they don't offer it in their current cars. I'm sure their big fat corporate lawyers are a big factor in this.

I picked up a new BMW the last week in Dec. I have to say it’s driver assistant package is pretty good. I have made multiple long trips where I never disengage it and no phantom braking which was a problem on the Acura I traded for it. It also makes automatic lane changes. I am considering a model Y purchase and really hate to lose that feature.

• Love
I picked up a new BMW the last week in Dec. I have to say it’s driver assistant package is pretty good. I have made multiple long trips where I never disengage it and no phantom braking which was a problem on the Acura I traded for it. It also makes automatic lane changes. I am considering a model Y purchase and really hate to lose that feature.
When you say the BMW "makes automatic lane changes", all you have to do is signal and it does it (ie. you don't need to look in mirror/blindspot yourself)?

Unfortunately that won't help the problem. I changed that setting 2 days after getting the car. You can be in cruise (auto steer or not) on the highway with the speed set to 70 mph and have the setting to just go a set speed (ignore speed limit signs). I've witnessed the cruise showing as 70 mph on the screen and out of the blue you'll see that speed drop to 50 mph and feel the car start to brake hard. I don't even know if it really should be called "phantom braking", but there's some software bug that's making the set speed rapidly drop. Even if I'm coming up fast on a slow driver, that set speed should never drop. It should just auto brake to slow me down to my set car distance.

The map they use maybe out of date or the road has been moved/shifted recently, if you can repeat the braking at the same spot most likely it's the map. It does not total use the cameras or map sort of a combo of both.

I've been flipped off exactly once in decades of driving. It happened during my M3 autopilot trial in late 2018, when it phantom {braked, broke} on the interstate. Immediately became an ex-user.

But, it sounds like they are improving it at a brake-neck pace!

Tesla cannot even get autopark, auto high-beams or autowipers working after release of those features more than 5 years ago. Just make everything beta and all is forgiven. Most sell their cars before the promises are fulfilled. They should get a refund.

My Y does the phantom braking thing on a 1 yr old stretch of highway near my house. Recent SW update added a few more 'bad spots' where it happens. It also really drifts in the lane back and forth and not super smoothly

For comparison, my wife's 5 yr old model S with gen 1 equipment is much smoother in its autopilot actions. The phantom braking spots are there (bad map data?), but it doesn't cause people to honk and flip you off and no lane drifting trying to figure out what line to reference.

Still quite a bit of SW work to do on this multi-camera system. In the end, I'm sure it will improve.

When you say the BMW "makes automatic lane changes", all you have to do is signal and it does it (ie. you don't need to look in mirror/blindspot yourself)?

Well I always look anyway but yes it will make the change just pushing the turn signal part way down. It also displays traffic around you in the instrument cluster and has a audible and visual blind spot warnings. The visual is in the mirrors. If you want to make the lane change on your own or it’s a odd situation you fully depress the turn signal and steer the car yourself. Once stable and established in the new lane it takes back over.

Here are the issues I have noted in "FSD" so far. (To clarify I mean the setting a destination and letting the vehicle drive itself while reminding me to keep my hands on the wheel regularly).
  • Localization errors - When I hit the freeway after the ramp next to my place there is an interchange in about half a mile, the vehicle sometimes re-thinks that its in the local road next to the highway and rapidly switches from 65mph to 30mph - this happens pretty regularly in the 3 months I have had my Y.
  • Overpass / bridge phantoms - Happens regularly on certain overpasses - seems like errors from the camera recognition system ?
  • Nearby vehicle lane estimation error - this happens mostly with trucks especially in curves (gentle to sharp curves) - the car thinks the truck is in its lane and rapidly decelerates
  • Unexplained phantoms - I have had about 4 random decelerations with no overpass / traffic nearby. There were no speed changes either - it could be map error perhaps ?
Outside of these, It's been better than other assistance systems I have used (Ford, Chevy, Mazda, Toyota etc). I have not tried any of the newer German ones for comparison.

• Informative
Reactions: gaswalla
I have experienced phantom braking and speed limit reset many times over many, many thousands of miles on AP.

I did my best to notice patterns, and the only pattern that made sense to me for the speed limit reset was when I was in a far-left lane that had an exit that I was bypassing. Once I would pass the cutoff to the exit, my set speed would diminish as if I had taken the exit. Quite dangerous if someone was following too close! Would it ever do it for a standard right-hand exit? Dunno... I'm always going too fast for the right lane! :D

Regarding phantom braking: I travel the same stretch of hwy, and found some spots where my X would phantom brake for no reason... sometimes it may have been from overpasses, etc.. But sometimes not. Didn't make sense. Each time, I would hit the voice button and submit a Bug Report.

It seemed to take a couple Bug Reports at the same spots for it to get corrected... But now, AP performs flawlessly in those areas.

Coincidence? Placebo? OTA Updates? Maybe... but my driving experience is much better now! ;)

I've had my Model Y for 2,500 miles. I really like the car. I love how it drives, the tech, the supercharger network, etc.

My main complaint with the car is that cruise control & auto pilot are pretty much unusable.

I've had repeated issues with phantom breaking. It seems to usually happen when approaching overpasses or exit signs over the highway. I don't understand how Tesla hasn't fixed this issue. It doesn't matter if it's daytime or night. I drove to the mountains at 4 am this morning and literally had phantom breaking on the highway 5x in 5 minutes. I have my settings to keep cruise control at my set speed (not the option to refer to the speed limit signs). I watched it this morning and I had the speed set to 70. Every time, I could see the speed limit on the screen drop from my set speed to 50 mph.

How are they going to perfect full self-driving if they can't even resolve this problem? Just ranting here as the car would be near perfect if they would fix this.
Happens to me frequently now. You're not wrong to rant or ask these questions. Sorry there are so many fanboy trolls trying to gaslight you into not believing your own eyes and ears and, in my case, mild whiplash.

You can disable emergency braking and other stuff that you don't like.

That's still "smart" cruise control where I just have to steer. The car is using the cameras to gauge what's in front of you and slow down if you're approaching another car, so the phantom braking still happens on that setting. I want the car to keep going 80 mph even if I'm 2 inches from the car in front of me, like all cars without active cruise control have. I can change lanes or hit the brakes myself if I'm approaching another car.

• Disagree
Yup. I always notice how there are very few videos of these "autopilot tried to kill me"-type posts on TMC.

This weak FUD will keep on coming even though it's not working....

- TSLA joined S&P 500
- TSLA had records for # manufactured and delivered in 2020
- TSLA about to release Quarterly financials, records expected (and NOT bankwupt)
- NHTSA cleared Tesla of unattended acceleration

You forgot “Troll post”

Yup. I always notice how there are very few videos of these "autopilot tried to kill me"-type posts on TMC.

This weak FUD will keep on coming even though it's not working....

- TSLA joined S&P 500
- TSLA had records for # manufactured and delivered in 2020
- TSLA about to release Quarterly financials, records expected (and NOT bankwupt)
- NHTSA cleared Tesla of unattended acceleration
Awwww shucks Mark, all you had to do was ask! Ask and ye shall receive :) Here's one from only 3 days ago! EAP began turning into a lane with a car in it. Notice the car in the other lane swerves out of the way, avoiding a crash. EAP then cancels the lane change.

Front cam - attempted lane change and lane cancellation at 0:16:

Side cam - where you can see the driver in the other lane swerve into the carpool lane to avoid me at 0:20:

Happy to keep going if you insist. I have hundreds of cam clips to go through but seriously, ask and ye shall receive video of me going from about 70 to 50 in a matter of seconds on an interstate due to phantom breaking.

Okay, now that I've posted video of myself in my own car, feel free to reply to me directly.

Lmao Mark. No need to continue pursuing the pissing contest, especially with a woman who has a longer post history than you.

Go ahead and post your salary and/or stream of income and/or portfolio to support your bold claims. I'll do the same if I make less than you.

If you don't reply, I'm going to make the bold claim that it is in fact you who are playing the role of dedicated troll and FUDster. To which I say, good day sir! Also, maybe try getting a better/more productive hobby? If I'm being honest you sound like a broken record. Like regurgitated TSLAQ talking points spun the other direction.