Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Cruise control / Auto Pilot is Garbage

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm a big Tesla fan and stock holder. The company will do great things. However, their treating of AP, EAP, FSD, etc etc has been bad. EAP never did half of what it was supposed to when I took delivery in 2017. It couldn't even pull into/out of the garage without swerving to try and hit the wall, kamakazi style.
And yes, two of the most frustrating things in the world in my S were:
  1. Automatic wipers that did not work
  2. No simple/dumb cruise control
The OP makes very good points. And Tesla could EASILY solve the problem by providing a traditional dumb cruise control option (and not having removed the traditional, cheap rain sensor). This would make many Tesla owners happy.

I don't agree with the OP that it is garbage, but it definitely needs some work. I do have a phantom braking issue once in awhile, but the bigger problem in my opinion, is it's inability to recognize the on ramp on the freeway as such when using auto pilot in the right lane. That makes auto pilot totally unusable on a two lane highway as it isn't practical (or nice) to stay in the left lane. The car dragging me into an on ramp regularly isn't something I can or should have to deal with.

I've had my Model Y for 2,500 miles. I really like the car. I love how it drives, the tech, the supercharger network, etc.

My main complaint with the car is that cruise control & auto pilot are pretty much unusable.

I've had repeated issues with phantom breaking. It seems to usually happen when approaching overpasses or exit signs over the highway. I don't understand how Tesla hasn't fixed this issue. It doesn't matter if it's daytime or night. I drove to the mountains at 4 am this morning and literally had phantom breaking on the highway 5x in 5 minutes. I have my settings to keep cruise control at my set speed (not the option to refer to the speed limit signs). I watched it this morning and I had the speed set to 70. Every time, I could see the speed limit on the screen drop from my set speed to 50 mph.

How are they going to perfect full self-driving if they can't even resolve this problem? Just ranting here as the car would be near perfect if they would fix this.

I fixed my broken phantoms with Super Glue and duct tape, but its best to handle phantoms carefully so they don't break

• Funny
Reactions: Brian's ReX
Why, oh why, does there HAVE to be such polarized opinions for how each car's EAP/FSD system works?!? I totally get why someone whose system isn't working well would think it's trash... as well as I totally understand why someone who's system has been working well would praise the system.

These are the simple facts as I see them: Some car's computers are bug-free (as is mine), and some seem to have extraordinary bug issues. Case in point: My wife and I have the exact same computer at work, purchased within a week of each other. I have bug issues up the wazzoo, and my wife has zero complaints. Such is the nature of computers, IMO. Not an expert here... but maybe a bit pragmatic.

I have had MANY thousands of miles driving with EAP... hardly any issues! But would I say Tesla is perfect, and those that have issues are 'wrong'? Heck no! We all have our issues, good and bad. But those that have issues - and I know there are many - are quite vocal about them. Those, like myself, that love how how our vehicles perform are considered 'fanboys' if we write positive posts. Sad. Bottom line: I love how my car performs... but that seems to be a less popular view about which to write here.

Oh boy, let the hate mail fly :cool:

I have had MANY thousands of miles driving with EAP... hardly any issues!
Since you live in Seattle, how frequently do you use EAP on the highways around here while it's dark, cloudy, foggy, and rainy out? Please let me know your experience.

I have bug issues up the wazzoo, and my wife has zero complaints. Such is the nature of computers, IMO. Not an expert here... but maybe a bit pragmatic.
If my computer gets a BSOD, which has happened to me in the last couple years on a brand new $2k tower, it's not the end of the world. It's frustrating. When my MCU goes black while on the highway with EAP engaged, for example, safety of myself and others is suddenly on my mind. IMO there is a vast difference. Thanks for the comparison, though.

Bottom line: I love how my car performs... but that seems to be a less popular view about which to write here. Oh boy, let the hate mail fly :cool:
Lol

Last edited:
Reactions: Brian's ReX
Since you live in Seattle, how frequently do you use EAP on the highways around here while it's dark, cloudy, foggy, and rainy out? Please let me know your experience.

Good question. I use EAP regardless of weather conditions, which as we all know in the Seattle area are quite varied! o_O

One of my most interesting experiences in bad weather was during a Husky (football) game that was postponed due to bad weather and lightning strikes (Sept 2019) that were so bad, they considered evacuating the stands. I was coming back home from the Chehalis area and, some may remember, the eye of the storm was heading north as well. As luck would have it, I drove north during the worst of that storm :eek:

It was raining so hard that I could scarcely see with the wipers on high! There was so much water over the roadway that is was difficult to see the lane markers on I-5 also. But, with extremely heightened focus, I decided to let EAP see what it could do in that situation. Many of the smart drivers had evacuated the highway, so it seemed like a good time to try.

I won't say it was flawless, because it wasn't. However, some how - some way, those cameras/sensors saw roadway that was lost to my eyes, and it kept me centered in the lane! Truly have no idea to this day how it worked as well as it did! The most surprising was that, while it would slow a bit (-5ish MPH, I had it set around 50 I think - no one was going over that speed), it never 'phantom braked'. There were a couple occasions during that 3+ hour hell-ride that EAP gave me the "Big Red Take Over!" in areas where there was so much water over the road that I wouldn't see lane markers for many hundreds of feet. I only knew where to steer because of the center barrier :eek:

But overall, in that experience, EAP did very, very well!

Sept 2019
EAP has changed since then, phantom breaking has gotten worse.

As a reference point, I was the other driver mentioned in this thread from Sept 2019: Phantom braking is the biggest issue with AutoPilot.

This is from Sept 2020: Phantom breaking getting worse on 2020.36.3.1

I won't say it was flawless, because it wasn't. There were a couple occasions during that 3+ hour hell-ride that EAP gave me the "Big Red Take Over!" in areas where there was so much water over the road that I wouldn't see lane markers for many hundreds of feet.
My morning commute is in the dark, and in the winter time this happens frequently enough to warrant concern. IMO this is more than occasional inadequate performance. EAP in my personal experience is insufficient, even in favorable weather conditions.

Quoting myself from Dec 29th:
Yesterday morning EAP disengaged twice (take over now) on my morning commute. 5 am, still dark but clear skies, well lit interstate, dry, 4 lanes with few other cars. Had just hand washed my car over Christmas, cameras were definitely clean.
FYI this was on the 405 in Bellevue.

But overall, in that experience, EAP did very, very well!
I'm glad you find the system sufficient. It's okay to have differing opinions. My opinion is that it is getting worse, causing it to be more unsafe. I feel strongly that all consumers have a right to safety, and will continue being honest about my experiences. Have a great day.

You ask for my experience, and then pick my answer apart. Not sure what the end game is here?

Let's just agree that we all have differing experiences, as well as different opinions. Just stating fact here, but in my experience phantom braking is MUCH better now, as compared to 2019. That is a fact... for me. Cannot be disputed. But I would never say that phantom braking is better across the Tesla spectrum, because it obviously isn't for some.

The question is why is it so different....

Reactions: frankvb
I use autopilot virtually every time I drive. It works well and I'm very happy.

Tesla's FSD beta has been out for months. Uber had to shutdown their program after a single incident so I think they're hyper aware of the risks that they're taking. We'll all know if someone even suspects there's an accident or someone gets hurts/dies due to autopilot/FSD.

Why, oh why, does there HAVE to be such polarized opinions for how each car's EAP/FSD system works?!? I totally get why someone whose system isn't working well would think it's trash... as well as I totally understand why someone who's system has been working well would praise the system.

These are the simple facts as I see them: Some car's computers are bug-free (as is mine), and some seem to have extraordinary bug issues. Case in point: My wife and I have the exact same computer at work, purchased within a week of each other. I have bug issues up the wazzoo, and my wife has zero complaints. Such is the nature of computers, IMO. Not an expert here... but maybe a bit pragmatic.

I have had MANY thousands of miles driving with EAP... hardly any issues! But would I say Tesla is perfect, and those that have issues are 'wrong'? Heck no! We all have our issues, good and bad. But those that have issues - and I know there are many - are quite vocal about them. Those, like myself, that love how how our vehicles perform are considered 'fanboys' if we write positive posts. Sad. Bottom line: I love how my car performs... but that seems to be a less popular view about which to write here.

Oh boy, let the hate mail fly :cool:

You ask for my experience, and then pick my answer apart. Not sure what the end game is here?

Let's just agree that we all have differing experiences, as well as different opinions. Just stating fact here, but in my experience phantom braking is MUCH better now, as compared to 2019. That is a fact... for me. Cannot be disputed. But I would never say that phantom braking is better across the Tesla spectrum, because it obviously isn't for some.

The question is why is it so different....

@Brian : Your's is a sensible data based response. I do not understand the folks who say - "It works for me so it must work for everyone" and neither do I understand "Its completely garbage". Data shows that people end up with issues while others are sufficiently happy. I am in the Seattle area as well and would love to collect more crowdsourced data. While I am pretty sure Tesla has sufficient telemetry on when this happens, its useful to have well documented data user reported data as well. So my bugs in the Seattle area are :
1- Montlake underpass - phantom braking
2- Just past downtown I-5 underpass - rapid slowdown due to localization error (car thinks its on a local road next to freeway)
3- Past Northbend heading I-5 East - rapid slowdown on curves when the car mis-estimates lanes where a truck is on.

Would love to hear where people have consistent reproductions of the issues.

We had our Model Y for three days. My wife was trying out the cruise control. She put on the turn signal to turn right at the next intersection and the car drove itself right in to the curb. It knocked a two and a half inch chunk out of the wheel. BE CAREFUL OF THIS CRUISE CONTROL IT IS CRAP.

• Funny
Reactions: doomsday997
I just have basic autopilot and my experience so far has been surprisingly good. I’ve had “smart” cruise control on the BMW i3 and Nissan Leaf’s pro pilot. With those previous cars, cruise control would brake for all kinds of things. Overpasses, change in road color, cars merging several car spaces ahead. It was very jerky.

For us at least, Tesla’s autopilot has performed beyond expectations. The following has been smooth and it doesn’t over react with cars passing me when I’m playing the efficient driving game. The only time it went wonky was when I had auto steer in the right hand lane and there were color and lane variations from a on ramp merge that was under construction.

For us, I think it works best driving in the middle lanes. I’m in North County San Diego if geography is of interest to people.

I just took my first long trip yesterday, about 215 miles from Central NJ to Upstate NY. Most of that was on the NJ Turnpike and NYS Thruway. I used TACC most of the way and Autosteer for about half. No phantom “braking” with a lot of overpasses, especially in NJ. I found Autosteer to be very effective, no issues with exit ramps at all. Very happy with initial results.

We had our Model Y for three days. My wife was trying out the cruise control. She put on the turn signal to turn right at the next intersection and the car drove itself right in to the curb. It knocked a two and a half inch chunk out of the wheel. BE CAREFUL OF THIS CRUISE CONTROL IT IS CRAP.
When you activate the turn signal the force needed to pull it out of autopilot becomes much less. While it's possible that autopilot drove into the curb, its also possible your wife disengaged autopilot after activating the signal.

I just had a phantom braking situation today when inside a tunnel while using cruise control. There are lights inside the tunnel, but nothing immediately in front in my lane. Not sure what may have triggered the brake, it came on for a split second which caused the car to slow down. Luckily, there was not a car close behind which could have caused a rear-end accident.

I've had my Model Y for 2,500 miles. I really like the car. I love how it drives, the tech, the supercharger network, etc.

My main complaint with the car is that cruise control & auto pilot are pretty much unusable.

I've had repeated issues with phantom breaking. It seems to usually happen when approaching overpasses or exit signs over the highway. I don't understand how Tesla hasn't fixed this issue. It doesn't matter if it's daytime or night. I drove to the mountains at 4 am this morning and literally had phantom breaking on the highway 5x in 5 minutes. I have my settings to keep cruise control at my set speed (not the option to refer to the speed limit signs). I watched it this morning and I had the speed set to 70. Every time, I could see the speed limit on the screen drop from my set speed to 50 mph.

How are they going to perfect full self-driving if they can't even resolve this problem? Just ranting here as the car would be near perfect if they would fix this.
I get phantom braking every morning at a signal light when the road curb widens and then shortens into a normal lane. I just have to press the accelerator. Other than that it's been pretty good

Reactions: Gadget63
I’m not sure what this has to do with TACC. You don’t mention if you have FSD. No offense but it may be operator error.

Reactions: angus[Y]oung