Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Cruise control / Auto Pilot is Garbage

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have 2000 miles on my model Y now and can compare it to my 2021 BMW X5. The BMW is simply a better system. I have had exactly 1 phantom braking episode in 4000 miles verses to many to count over 2000 miles in the Tesla. The BMW is also a smoother system both in braking and acceleration. It also maintains the center of the lane better. The Y tends to favor the drivers side of the lane. The Tesla does win in terms of ease of use and it gives you a lot more time before the nag comes on. Overall however the BMW system seems much more polished. It also has auto lane change by partially depressing the turn signal. If you fully press the turn signal it disengages steering but automatically reengages once established in the new lane.

Reactions: aspushkin
Bjorn has the BMW iX3 and was livestreaming this weekend. BMW's system isn't able to follow the road reliably.

I have 2000 miles on my model Y now and can compare it to my 2021 BMW X5. The BMW is simply a better system. I have had exactly 1 phantom braking episode in 4000 miles verses to many to count over 2000 miles in the Tesla. The BMW is also a smoother system both in braking and acceleration. It also maintains the center of the lane better. The Y tends to favor the drivers side of the lane. The Tesla does win in terms of ease of use and it gives you a lot more time before the nag comes on. Overall however the BMW system seems much more polished. It also has auto lane change by partially depressing the turn signal. If you fully press the turn signal it disengages steering but automatically reengages once established in the new lane.

Can’t speak for the beginning of your post, as I’ve never used the BMW system and had 0 episodes of phantom braking so far in 2500 miles (I’d say of those 2500 miles, at least 750-1000 are using AP on the freeway during my commute or on short road trips), but I would absolutely love it if Tesla could at least give us the bold part of your message as part of the regular AP, not the 10k FSD...

My issues with autopilot after about 2500 miles driving my Y:

- twice autopilot disengaged on its own (probably due to too much pressure on the steering wheel) at really bad times. Both times were in traffic and it took a few seconds for me to realize I was driving the car. I think the disengage alert needs to be stronger.
- once, for no reason at all on a highway service road in light traffic, the auto pilot made the alert sound and braked hard. Luckily I wasn’t going very fast and the cars were far enough behind me not to cause a problem. I drive this section of road on my daily commute and I have no idea what autopilot saw (or think it saw).
- in traffic, autopilot is jerky: it speeds up and slows down much too abruptly. I find myself turning off autopilot in stop and go traffic (which really should be one of the most useful places to use self driving).
- it has a hard time with an unusual road pattern like merging lanes. It will alert and then disengage.

Autopilot is fine for the open road, but it’s not ready for prime time in a city.

Last edited:
Reactions: suprax
My issues with autopilot after about 2500 miles driving my Y:

- twice autopilot disengaged on its own (probably due to too much pressure on the steering wheel) at really bad times. Both times were in traffic and it took a few seconds for me to realize I was driving the car. I think the disengage alert needs to be stronger.
- once, for no reason at all on a highway service road in light traffic, the auto pilot made the alert sound and braked hard. Luckily I wasn’t going very fast and the cars were far enough behind me not to cause a problem. I drive this section of road on my daily commute and I have no idea what autopilot saw (or think it saw).
- in traffic, autopilot is jerky: it speeds up and slows down much too abruptly. I find myself turning off autopilot in stop and go traffic (which really should be one of the most useful places to use self driving).
- it has a hard time with an unusual road pattern like merging lanes. It will alert and then disengage.

Autopilot is fine for the open road, but it’s not ready for prime time in a city.
What is the car distance setting you use?

My 2007 Lexus GS has auto cruise control for distance only, no self steering. Lexus had this tech for over 14 years and never thought to perfect it. My 2017 Lexus RX has auto cruise control with self steering and I can tell you that it is absolutely terrible. Ping pongs like crazy in the lane, tends to be way close to the right when it finds its "center," brakes very hard even though I have the furthest setting, can't handle a simple minor turn on freeway. Can basically only use on straightaway, but I have to press the gas after a complete stop.

I’ve used it a couple of times on 400 mile trips and yea theres been a couple of random slowdowns but i noticed each time it happened when i going on an incline before it reach the top it slowed down like 20 mph my suspicion was it can’t see over the incline so it thinks the road is ending or thinks ima fall off a hill?!?
Honestly the only times it’s happened to me

“What is the car distance setting you use?”

Normally in traffic I set to 1. Traffic aware cruise control, in stop and go traffic, should be able to close the gap with the car in front. But it doesn’t so I often disable TACC and then manually tighten the gap.

Two questions:

Has anyone heard of any instances where phantom braking caused an accident? In the threads I've read about it, no one's actually been rear ended. I'm wondering if it accounts for traffic behind you.

Has anyone experienced phantom braking while using only TACC, specifically without autosteer?

Two questions:

Has anyone heard of any instances where phantom braking caused an accident? In the threads I've read about it, no one's actually been rear ended. I'm wondering if it accounts for traffic behind you.

Has anyone experienced phantom braking while using only TACC, specifically without autosteer?
I have not. In my month of Model Y ownership and limited use of TACC and AutoPilot, I have not experienced any phantom braking with just TACC. I have had several phantom braking events with AutoPilot on wide open highways with no traffic, overpasses, signs or otherwise nearby.

Reactions: annguye1

I get this a lot on our week old (500 miles) Model 3 :(

I've also experienced two Phantom collision alert braking incidents.

I've turned off everything except blind spot warning as I have no confidence in the cameras only system. I will try again after an update.

I get this a lot on our week old (500 miles) Model 3 :(

I've also experienced two Phantom collision alert braking incidents.

I've turned off everything except blind spot warning as I have no confidence in the cameras only system. I will try again after an update.
I am surprised that you have so many issues. Would you mind sharing the specific locations/situations?
i would like to see if I can duplicate/validate those circumstances as I live in Bellevue.

I am surprised that you have so many issues. Would you mind sharing the specific locations/situations?
i would like to see if I can duplicate/validate those circumstances as I live in Bellevue.

it was on i90 west bound coming from Cle Elum on a clear day between 4 and 5. Not exactly Bellevue though

I also had issues between Redmond Ridge and Monroe, same conditions and time of day.