TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

cruise control/autopilot radar sensor or camera(s) is obstructed.

Discussion in 'Model 3: User Interface' started by M3MISEA, May 23, 2018.

1. M3MISEA

M3MISEA Member

What does this mean? I have looked at the user manual and I can't figure out why we keep getting this error. We are new to this and it's not at all clear why it's happening. I confirmed there is nothing obstructing the cameras (the car is new and it works/then doesn't).
    thanks!

2. goto10

goto10 Member

Is this a message you are getting on the display?

Your car has one radar sensor, eight cameras, and twelve sonar sensors. If you don't actually have an obstruction then it's probably a bad sensor/camera or a loose connection.

3. M3MISEA

M3MISEA Member

yes, that's the message i'm getting on my display - something about the front radar unavailable due to impaired visibility. I tried it several times today and it didn't work and then it started working and stopped working in the middle of driving. we have 120 miles on the car - it worked fine from 40-119 miles....

4. Derek Kessler

Derek Kessler Active Member

So you have a bunch of debris (mud, bugs, etc) on the front of the car? The radar is behind the front bumper cover (the Model S radar is just to the right of the license plate holder when looking from the front, not sure about the 3) and if there's too much crud — or just one big and unfortunately placed crud – it can render the radar inoperable.

Source: I had that happen driving an S across the desert. Smacked into a large dragonfly square on the radar, cruise control was disabled until I removed the bug.

5. SkagitDoug

SkagitDoug Member

AS long as "cruise control" is in your subject line, can someone please confirm whether -- as on good German cars -- cruise control can be set as low as 20 MPH? A Mercedes and many BMWs I've owned in the past allowed me to set the cruise control to maintain a 20 MPH setpoint. Thanks!

6. jsmay311

jsmay311 Member

It’s 18 mph. On page 61 of the manual.

7. SkagitDoug

SkagitDoug Member

Thanks, jsmay311, I'm now looking forward to delivery of my Model 3!