Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Cruise Control / Autopilot unavailable after update?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I got the update to get the button. I happily queued myself up and when I went on my drive I noticed everytime I tried enabling Autopilot I'd get a message saying "autopilot temporarily unavailable". Can't even enable regular cruise control.
My FSD screen shows lights/signs/street markings but never notices any cars.. does anyone know a way to fix this? I called Tesla support and they had me try recalibrating cameras and opting out of FSD which made no difference. Factory reset button is greyed out too.

I called again to let them know and they said I would get a call from an engineer today but I didn't. Raised hell on the poor lady too because I'm paying for FSD sub now and can't even do basic cruise control that my Kia Rio has... and obviously that hasn't gone anywhere either.
I've sent messages in the support chat for the last few days with no responses too so I don't think I'm going to get anywhere with Tesla anytime soon on this.

Any other things I can try?? I also tried letting the car sit overnight unplugged to see if a deep sleep helps.. but it didn't

I traded my AP1 Model X in today on a new Model Y and was loving the FSD, until I connected to Wi-Fi and it downloaded the 2021.32.22 update. Now I get the same Autosteer Temporarily Unavailable and Cruise Control Temporarily Unavailable messages as OP and have the same issues with not recognizing other vehicles. I’m not showing an update available. Disappointing to have it for 4 hours and an update removes key features.

If anyone has any suggestions, I’m all ears! Thanks!

I traded my AP1 Model X in today on a new Model Y and was loving the FSD, until I connected to Wi-Fi and it downloaded the 2021.32.22 update. Now I get the same Autosteer Temporarily Unavailable and Cruise Control Temporarily Unavailable messages as OP and have the same issues with not recognizing other vehicles. I’m not showing an update available. Disappointing to have it for 4 hours and an update removes key features.

If anyone has any suggestions, I’m all ears! Thanks!
Make a service request and tell them it broke after that update.. I had to bug them a lot to get them to push it out for me

update: they pushed out a new software update (2021.36.22) and it's all good now!
I got that update Saturday. I installed it immediately and the car was fine. I had an appointment this morning, the ride in was fine. When I left it was raining, wipers didn't work until I said after activation of mic, "help wipers" but the it would shut off. I had only current speed displayed on left panel. I could not engage tacc. When I got home I rebooted the car, still nothing.

Reactions: MrPutin
I'm on a tablet and I assumed you meant 32.22. Upon spreading the screen, I see you typed 36.22. They historically add a, 1...2...3 suffix? So this is after the fsd button push end of last week? Just double checking, tx.
Update: We went out to dinner 6 hours after my return trip, described above. Initially display was as described above. Howsoever, once travelling, over the course of about 5-10 seconds all three icons reappeared. I did make an unreturned call to local SC describing issue. As a return customer there I don't know if they looked up vin and reset whatever was f-ed up. I'm disappointed after three years it is still 'flakey'. This doesn't bode well!

Joined just to say I had the same experience as tjg312, loss of Cruise Control after the update to 2021.32.12. Reboots via the touch screen and steering wheel buttons didn't help. Will try to contact Tesla and see if I can get another firmware update or something. Hopefully 2021.36.22 wasn't a typo.

My moms car exhibited this issue today but I told her to try a full power off from the screen and let it sit awhile and the options became available again. She did a reset and adaptive/AP/speed limit signs were still not working correctly before that.

I lost adaptive/AP this afternoon as well… I am on 2021.32.22 and a buddy of mine was on 2021.33.21 (No FSD) but he just got 2021.36 which seems odd… all methods of reboot haven’t fixed my issues… Waiting for my car to finish charging before I take it out again to see if its back to normal…

Thank god I found this thread! I was driving myself INSANE trying to figure this out. We haven't had any issues with our MY since delivery (June of this year) but this latest software update (2021.32.22) has given us a bunch of AutoPilot issues. We have the sub and am currently enrolled in the FSD beta request queue. Since this update over a week ago, our AutoPilot has been completely unavailable about 3 times. No explanation from the car. It's not a "temporarily unavailable" situation either, where it comes back in a few seconds. It usually comes back after leaving the car for a little bit and then going for another drive all together.

I opened a service request on this, but would rather fix it sooner if possible OTA. @tjg312 can you confirm the update version 2021.36.22 is what you got? Has there been any issues since then?

My systems started working again this morning... Here is the link from the vision-only thread explaining the issue in more detail...

Same issue here--lost autosteer, cruise, and road sign recognition. Also had Sentry Mode go haywire and record 40+ false alarm events in an otherwise empty garage right before I noticed the Autopilot failure. Did a steering wheel reboot x2 without a return of function. Took USB out, which led to a USB "center console" failure (it was in the glovebox). Plugged in a different drive, reformatted it, powered the car off via the display, restarted it, and went for a drive. All was then fixed. Not sure what it was that did it because I did a bunch of stuff at once. I'll see if the problem returns. MYP ver 2021.32.22 for two weeks.

Lost autopilot and the icons today. Tried all sorts of resets, including the master reset that pulls the connector under the rear seat. Running 2021.32.22 and am also in the queue for FSD. Hope it comes back tomorrow...
2018 M3 LR RWD with the FSD upgrade, including the 3.0 computer.

Lost autopilot and the icons today. Tried all sorts of resets, including the master reset that pulls the connector under the rear seat. Running 2021.32.22 and am also in the queue for FSD. Hope it comes back tomorrow...
2018 M3 LR RWD with the FSD upgrade, including the 3.0 computer.
Fixed it this morning. The thought occurred: What about turning everything off, then back on again?
Pulled up the Autopilot menu on the car's screen and disabled everything: Autosteer, lane change, you name it. Then, did a two-thumb-wheel reset.
When the car came back to life, the missing speed limit icon was back! Went back to autopilot and put all the options back where they came from. All the icons are now present: Cruise control setpoint, autosteer, and the speed limit item.
Cancelled the service appointment.
Looks like a software bug of some flavor.