Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Cruise Control / Autopilot unavailable after update?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My problem returned the following day (see above) then disappeared. I made a service appointment; they did a remote diagnostic, but couldn't find anything wrong, so I canceled it. I've been riding fine since. Had a 1000 mile road trip last weekend--no issues.

Fixed it this morning. The thought occurred: What about turning everything off, then back on again?
Pulled up the Autopilot menu on the car's screen and disabled everything: Autosteer, lane change, you name it. Then, did a two-thumb-wheel reset.
When the car came back to life, the missing speed limit icon was back! Went back to autopilot and put all the options back where they came from. All the icons are now present: Cruise control setpoint, autosteer, and the speed limit item.
Cancelled the service appointment.
Looks like a software bug of some flavor.
I installed 2021.36.5.2 (beta 10.3) this morning after one drive on the way home car said cruise control and autopilot are unavailable. Was working fine on 2021.32.25 (beta 10.2) and was actually driving very well on that first drive. Any suggestions how to enable again?

I installed 2021.36.5.2 (beta 10.3) this morning after one drive on the way home car said cruise control and autopilot are unavailable. Was working fine on 2021.32.25 (beta 10.2) and was actually driving very well on that first drive. Any suggestions how to enable again?
So, I've heard some news about 10.3 - essentially, that it's being withdrawn for a bit due to Issues. One of those reports said something about TACC and lane-keeping were being disabled until issues were fixed, but I'm not sure.
Second: Yes, I'm in the queue for the FSD package, having paid for it and everything, but my safe driving score has kept me out of actually getting it all enabled. So, at the moment, the car's in EAP mode. And it was in this mode that I lost TACC and lane-keeping.
As I said in my original posts on the subject, after several attempts at resetting the car to get to the point where TACC and LK would come back, I actually set up for a service appointment.
The following day I realized that I had not actually tried the bit where one turns everything off, then back on again. In this case, it occurred to me that, "Turning everything off" could mean something along the lines of, "Disabling all the FSD features that I currently have." So, I parked by the side of the road, put it the in Park, then pulled up the Autopilot screen. With the exception of the "Request to be in the FSD queue" button, I turned everything else off. I then did a two-scroll-wheel reset. When the screen came back to life, I checked the Autopilot screen; all the options were still off. Enabled each and every one of them to get back to the original configuration, then did a two-scroll reset again.
This time, when the car's screen booted, the icons for speed limit signs, the autosteer (that's the picture of the steering wheel), and the set point for TACC came up as well.
They've been there ever since.
And that's all I know.

So, I've heard some news about 10.3 - essentially, that it's being withdrawn for a bit due to Issues. One of those reports said something about TACC and lane-keeping were being disabled until issues were fixed, but I'm not sure.
Second: Yes, I'm in the queue for the FSD package, having paid for it and everything, but my safe driving score has kept me out of actually getting it all enabled. So, at the moment, the car's in EAP mode. And it was in this mode that I lost TACC and lane-keeping.
As I said in my original posts on the subject, after several attempts at resetting the car to get to the point where TACC and LK would come back, I actually set up for a service appointment.
The following day I realized that I had not actually tried the bit where one turns everything off, then back on again. In this case, it occurred to me that, "Turning everything off" could mean something along the lines of, "Disabling all the FSD features that I currently have." So, I parked by the side of the road, put it the in Park, then pulled up the Autopilot screen. With the exception of the "Request to be in the FSD queue" button, I turned everything else off. I then did a two-scroll-wheel reset. When the screen came back to life, I checked the Autopilot screen; all the options were still off. Enabled each and every one of them to get back to the original configuration, then did a two-scroll reset again.
This time, when the car's screen booted, the icons for speed limit signs, the autosteer (that's the picture of the steering wheel), and the set point for TACC came up as well.
They've been there ever since.
And that's all I know.
Yesterday it all came back after turning sentry mode off and letting it sick for an hour. Today I got the 10.3.1 update and still works. Although I feel the 10.3 FSD was slightly better than the current 10.3.1.

Hey all, here in 2022 and this problem has gotten even worse:

- My car is in FSD Beta
- I just got 10.11.2
- That update did the usual breaking autopilot
- Even non-traffic-aware basic cruise control that just controls at a fixed speed no longer works * this is new

I've tried:
- Double scroll wheel
- Powering down from the "turn off" button and letting the car sit for >2 minutes
- Turning all the sliders in the autopilot menu off/on
- Turning off Sentry
- Totally disconnecting the Sentry USB (which I also formatted)

The Orlando service center have been impossible to deal with, slow, haggling about everything, not fixing the problem.

Any other suggestions for things to try that may fix this?

Hey all, here in 2022 and this problem has gotten even worse:

- My car is in FSD Beta
- I just got 10.11.2
- That update did the usual breaking autopilot
- Even non-traffic-aware basic cruise control that just controls at a fixed speed no longer works * this is new

I've tried:
- Double scroll wheel
- Powering down from the "turn off" button and letting the car sit for >2 minutes
- Turning all the sliders in the autopilot menu off/on
- Turning off Sentry
- Totally disconnecting the Sentry USB (which I also formatted)

The Orlando service center have been impossible to deal with, slow, haggling about everything, not fixing the problem.

Any other suggestions for things to try that may fix this?
Ask service to repush the update to your car.

In the meantime, try leaving sentry and summon off when you park it for the night today.

Good luck!

Last edited:
Dealing with same problem here. 2021 Model S refresh, AP comes and goes. I daily drive my car and depend on cruise control for long drives. Annoying to say the least. Have appointment for end of month. Lets see.
Apparently I'm in a different line this time. Mobile service said "Your vehicle is currently in queue for a technical review. We will reach out when the review is completed."

My cruise control and autopilot just went out too this morning. I have FSD 10.11.2 and it's been fine the last few days but the screen went wonky this morning and after a reboot and recycling the power the problem remains. I scheduled a mobile appointment for next week.

Reactions: T34_MBT
Turns out the uber question was irrelevant. I ended up sitting around for something like 3 or 4 hours working in their waiter lounge waiting for a diagnosis appointment, and was pleasantly surprised when the car came back fixed. The problem turned out to be a slightly complicated one. The Merritt Island service center was way more relaxed than the Orlando one (once I got past customer lack-of-service and actually got my car to them).

To start, when I first bought the car, I replaced the monstrous lead-acid 12v battery with one of these really cool and light LFP batteries (the same tech Tesla just switched to for the Plaid): 12V Lithium Battery for TESLA Model S

If there's one big silver lining here, it's that my car ran 12k-ish miles with zero serious problems and no trips for service at all since I bought it used, until this software glitch happened. In that time, I left the Seattle area, drove down the west coast of the US, crossed Nevada, Arizona, New Mexico (including a detour to Roswell and Carlsbad Caverns), in to Texas, all the way down to SpaceX Starbase, then around the Gulf of Mexico and all over Florida. I've had this car in some polar opposite extreme environments (some were area records), and have effectively beat the crap out of parts of it.

In all of that time, apparently the lug clamps on the aftermarket battery wiggled loose (yay thermal expansion), and so the computer systems were occasionally receiving dirty power.

Now, lets talk a little bit about hardware:
To put an automatic anything system on a heavy moving object with people in it (the law around this supposedly comes from planes and boats originally), you're required to install basically 2 of everything. 2 steering motors, 2 sets of comms channels in and out of all the vital motion control stuff, 2 throttle controls, etc. This includes the FSD computers, which there are two of.

When my car got the update with 10.11.2, the primary computer successfully updated, but the secondary was having a problem some time over the 50 minutes it takes to update due to that dirty power issue stemming from the loose terminal clamp on the battery. The computers freaked out and wouldn't engage any cruise features and the (working) primary computer fell back to just serving as an emergency intervention computer (which did end up saving me from hitting an orange barrel on the freeway, so, good failure mode). Simply fixing the battery wouldn't have fixed the issue, as the computers don't allow user-initiated reinstallation.

Being in software myself, I'd love to see them do a couple relatively light changes that would result in less service center visits:

Add a warning for the issue the battery was having
Enable reinstallation of failed updates by the user
Mobile service or remote service should be able to pull complete diagnostics, even if it has to be analyzed elsewhere.

We keep saying Tesla needs more service centers, but maybe a few updates and process changes could instead drive down the demand for service centers.

Now I get to go see what all the buzz is about 10.11.2!

Last edited:
Same issue with 2022.20.9. Just discovered my rear camera has not been recording for some time despite working fine in reverse. Spent 9 hours at the dealer wit no resolution. Please post details if you had a successful resolution
Tesla replaced the FSD computer to resolve. Part was out or warranty with only 2k miles. $1,500 for the part. Another owner was checking in with the same problem while I was there.

Reactions: Dewg