Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Cruise Control, Autopilot Unavailable/No Cars on Display

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I took a nearly 4 hour round trip yesterday in the 2020 Model 3 SR that I've owned for 8 days. The first trip out was perfectly normal. The return trip was anything but. As soon as I got out on a main roadway, I noticed that cruise control and autopilot were unavailable. I then noticed that there were no cars on the display screen other than my own. I performed two reboots from the steering wheel that failed to return things to normal. About an hour into the return trip, I stopped to supercharge and walked around the car looking for obstructions. There were none. I then went into the service menu and powered the car off (while unplugged), got out and walked away for a few minutes. This also solved nothing.

Currently, my car has been locked and plugged up in my garage for over 10 hours. Googling the issue appears to show some success for people that let the car "sleep" overnight. I'm hoping that's the case for me. FYI, I've never had Sentry turned on.

Has anyone experienced this? Any fixes?

I took a nearly 4 hour round trip yesterday in the 2020 Model 3 SR that I've owned for 8 days. The first trip out was perfectly normal. The return trip was anything but. As soon as I got out on a main roadway, I noticed that cruise control and autopilot were unavailable. I then noticed that there were no cars on the display screen other than my own. I performed two reboots from the steering wheel that failed to return things to normal. About an hour into the return trip, I stopped to supercharge and walked around the car looking for obstructions. There were none. I then went into the service menu and powered the car off (while unplugged), got out and walked away for a few minutes. This also solved nothing.

Currently, my car has been locked and plugged up in my garage for over 10 hours. Googling the issue appears to show some success for people that let the car "sleep" overnight. I'm hoping that's the case for me. FYI, I've never had Sentry turned on.

Has anyone experienced this? Any fixes?
UPDATE: After sitting in my garage overnight, the car appears to function normally this morning. I don't get it.

• Love
Reactions: Lindenwood
same thing happening here. Software update overnight and this AM no cruise or autopilot. also the car animation is static when driving. What the heck?

do i park at work and power down?

why does it seem after V11 (which sucks hard) all these things start 'flailing'. have had very few issues for 3.5 years. Not a happy camper right now.

How to fix this, the hard way
1) Remove negative from 12V battery
2) Under rear passenger seat, disconnect the connector under the styrofoam shield.

Car will power down - you'll hear the contactor click. Wait 30 seconds, then reconnect the HV harness connector, then reconnect the 12V negative lead.

I keep at 10mm wrench in my frunk so I can do this anywhere, anytime. FSDBeta has fixed most issues with AutoPilot re-initialization errors.

Reactions: wethenorth
How to fix this, the hard way
1) Remove negative from 12V battery
2) Under rear passenger seat, disconnect the connector under the styrofoam shield.

Car will power down - you'll hear the contactor click. Wait 30 seconds, then reconnect the HV harness connector, then reconnect the 12V negative lead.

I keep at 10mm wrench in my frunk so I can do this anywhere, anytime. FSDBeta has fixed most issues with AutoPilot re-initialization errors.
Sounds like this works, but most people may not feel comfortable doing these steps.

mine resolved overnight. WTH? my future June 21 service appt is still on the books but the texting between myself and remote diagnostic team says they are reviewing things. i'm happy again. but for how long?

Would a remote power down be needed? does an update need time to compile/calibrate?

good to know about the 10 mm and 'other options'.

I had the same problem starting a month ago with my 2019 M3... Both AP and FSD (visualisation) not working. Tesla fixed the problem by uploading 2022.12.3 to my vehicle since this firmware didn't come up automatically. Everything worked fine for a few weeks but stopped working again two days ago. I unplugged usb, did a camera calibration but nothing seems to be the solution. Tesla can't help me before the 15th but I'm going to Italy June 12 so that means driving 4.000km without AP... I'm so done with this... Hopefully anyone has a solution here...

I had the same problem starting a month ago with my 2019 M3... Both AP and FSD (visualisation) not working. Tesla fixed the problem by uploading 2022.12.3 to my vehicle since this firmware didn't come up automatically. Everything worked fine for a few weeks but stopped working again two days ago. I unplugged usb, did a camera calibration but nothing seems to be the solution. Tesla can't help me before the 15th but I'm going to Italy June 12 so that means driving 4.000km without AP... I'm so done with this... Hopefully anyone has a solution here...
Have you read the thread? I gave several solutions......

mine is a potential faulty camera (Left hand side repeater...I'm assuming this is the fender cam on the left side ) or the wiring to it is faulty. have an appt June 14 up in Portlandia (the one on the left coast). estimate says $260.00 total. remote diagnosis is pointing to this being the source of the error

Autopilot continues to work great. When just starting out on a drive as soon as i get up to 20 MPH the "Autopilot cam unavailable" comes up. then when i engage Autopilot, the error goes away.

Never easy to drive 80 miles one way to service but...i'd like things to work properly again!

I am frustrated. I have a 2019 M3+ and have been having this problem intermittently since December. Before that, everything on my car worked perfectly. I have reported it for the 4th time to Tesla service today, since it has failed 3 times in the last two weeks, and asked them to escalate. The first two times I requested service, I received a call that this is a software bug and will be fixed. The third time, a senior tech asked me to bring my car to a service center to be checked out. They had it for the day and found no hardware issues. That was about a month ago. When autopilot goes out and I see no cars on the screen and cruise does not work, it is like driving my old ICE car. In reading your posts, I realized that I had two errors this last week about the left fender camera (wondering if this is a sign). I love the car, but am considering starting a petition or invoking the Lemon Law. Any input would be great! Thanks.

OP's description of no cars displayed beside their own and no TACC / EAP / FSD is exactly the same thing I experienced a couple of months ago.

My simple solution: clean the windshield in front of the front camera with Windex. Running the windshield wipers never fixed the problem (smeared bird crap). I also tried a couple of on-the-road reboots but that also didn't fix the issue. Never tried a full power down.

I am frustrated. I have a 2019 M3+ and have been having this problem intermittently since December. Before that, everything on my car worked perfectly. I have reported it for the 4th time to Tesla service today, since it has failed 3 times in the last two weeks, and asked them to escalate. The first two times I requested service, I received a call that this is a software bug and will be fixed. The third time, a senior tech asked me to bring my car to a service center to be checked out. They had it for the day and found no hardware issues. That was about a month ago. When autopilot goes out and I see no cars on the screen and cruise does not work, it is like driving my old ICE car. In reading your posts, I realized that I had two errors this last week about the left fender camera (wondering if this is a sign). I love the car, but am considering starting a petition or invoking the Lemon Law. Any input would be great! Thanks.
I've got all the same issues as you. Had repeated issues, every time I would send a bug report. Finally they told me 2022.16.2 would fix it. Got it 2 days ago, and it broke autopilot/cruise completely. Now it doesn't work for any ride. Scheduled a ticket for service on 7/5, we'll see what they say this time. I'm not optimistic as they've cancelled my service ticket 4 times in a row for this issue. Now I'm extra worried because my warranty expires in a month.

2018 M3LR-rwd

I have this issue as well. For me 90-95% of the time autopilot doesn´t work. Along with cruise control, automatic wipers, automatic lights (night/day/high beams), sentry mode and collision alerts. Tesla has tried to fix it 2 times. 3:rd service is booked but I´m not optimistic about it.
I´ve had this since around january-february this year. It´s not fun to drive this car without cruise control. The accelerator pedal is so sensitive to it´s hard to keep a steady speed.
It´s probably not related but I polished my front windshield since I had a strange haze type of thing on it. It would NOT go away with anything but a polish. I think it was around this time the problems started to escalate.

Next week I´m going to test drive a BMW i4 ...