TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Cruise control deceleration when passing

Discussion in 'Model 3: Driving Dynamics' started by LSE47, Jun 4, 2018.

1. LSE47

LSE47 Member

I use the cruise control alot on my daily commute up and down 280 in the Bay Area. If i change lanes (manual steering) to pass a slowpoke, the car markedly decelerates in the midst of the lane change and then it speeds up. it does the deceleration if i step on the gas pedal to change lanes and pass a car and it also does it if i just steer into another lane and let the cruise control get up to maximum speed. Its incredibly annoying as the car lurches slow then fast. I think it is also unsafe as the last thing i expect when i step on the gas and change lanes is for the car to momentarily slow down. Anyone else experience this?

• Informative x 2
  2. Blue in NC

Blue in NC Member

I suspect that the TACC is sensing the car in front of you and slowing down because of distance until the car is fully moved into the new lane. Just a guess.

3. swaltner

swaltner Member

I see the same thing, but it’s working as designed. After a couple days of getting used to it, I can avoide this behavior by either:

- setting TACC to follow at a closer distance

- FULLY COMPLETE your lane shift before TACC decides to slow down. The greater the speed delta between you and the car ahead, the sooner you need to COMPLETE the lane change.

I chose the 2nd.

It also brakes when I wouldn’t both when people turn left in front of me and slow down to make a turn out of my lane. Paying attention to the surroundings and these potential situations lets you override the braking action if suitable. Better for TACC to be cautious at this point since it really is a simple decision loop, but can accomplish impressive results. When FSD becomes a reality, these issues should be gone.

4. LSE47

LSE47 Member

@swaltner - i'll try blasting through the lane change at full throttle and see if that works. thanks