Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Cruise Control Disabled

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
2 days in a row, I attempted to use cruise control and got a message along the lines of, "Cruise control disabled. Restart car to enable." Yesterday, I had the problem on my outbound leg. I tried again on my return leg and all was normal. All else is fine and there really isn't any meaningful difference between the 2 legs with faults and the leg where crusie worked. I have about 1200 miles on the car and only started experimenting with cruise this past week so I don't have much historical data. Any ideas, or should I see what TM has to say?

I've had this problem too several times. As you've noticed, restarting the car fixes the problem. I've only had this happen to me after driving for some time on the highway. I've reported it to Tesla, but they couldn't find any errors in the logs.

Attachments

• imagesfp.jpg
    imagesfp.jpg
    76.5 KB · Views: 1,056
> started experimenting with cruise [af1]

Not to worry, you have just exceeded the CC limits, one way or another. And yes, it is a nuisance having to re-start the car in order to restore CC functioning. As you did, it is best to get to know the car for a month or so before messing with the CC. This for GM/Subaru CC users like myself who are unfamiliar with the Mercedes CC system. Just remember to keep the stalk light OFF (CC therefore OFF) by pressing end of stalk toward steering column. As long as the CC system remains OFF it will not interfere with your driving. This is important since beginner is likely to mistake CC stalk for the directional signal(!!). Yes, again & again; it takes a while to learn.

Those that have Mercedes/?? experience- all this is 2nd nature.

Btw, I only tripped out the CC once, when I actually wanted to continue to use it. As opposed to all those times when it cancelled out due to illogical/mis use. I had accidentally somehow discovered that the MS CC can be set below 30mph (the Roadster limit). Great news as this is often a better speed to cruise thru a town. To see how much lower it could be set I moved the lever toward the floor to lock in the next lower speed. 25 held but somewhere below that it failed and CC DISABLED screen appeared. I should go back & find out the exact failure point. I'm guessing 23??
--

I've gotten the message only one time, and I definitely did something odd immediately beforehand that must have seemed like a conflicting message from the cruise control system's point of view. It may be that it detects erratic input as a potential flaw, or a sign of a panicked driver. It was available again the next time I started the car and I haven't seen the message since.

@araxara - thanks for the photo, I now have a theory: you are listening to greatest hits of the 50s while driving the most advanced car on the planet. I can see how the MS brain must've been confused. I may be guilty of a little Grateful Dead. That would fall along the same line. Another equally plausable explanation is that I've been a bit clumsy in my CC use (wcolo/GeekGirls kind of imply this). I'll keep working it and see what happens (while listening to something produced this decade).

- - - Updated - - -

@Zestraterrestrial - our posts crossed. Yes, I have the most recent firmware.

I've gotten this CC problem in a variety of cases - all after or during driving for a long time. At no time did I do anything out of the ordinary. Here are some cases:
1. The above picture was taken when I was driving down a hill. The error occurred on it's own without having touched the CC.
2. Stopped to drop someone off after a highway trip (car not turned off). Continued trip and went to set CC and got error message.
3. Came to a stop sign after driving for 2 hours. Got error message when pressing resume.

To see how much lower it could be set I moved the lever toward the floor to lock in the next lower speed. 25 held but somewhere below that it failed and CC DISABLED screen appeared. I should go back & find out the exact failure point. I'm guessing 23??
The lowest you can set the CC is 20mph. I use that all the time to drive in my neighborhood. I have never gotten an error message trying to lower the CC to that speed. I think one of the points of this discussion is that there should never be a "Cruise Control Disabled​" message, or at least if the message is displayed, it should allow you to continue using the CC without having to "Restart Car to Enable".

Early on, when I wasn't used to the unusual stalk position yet, I accidentally bumped the CC stalk while accelerating moderately hard up a steep hill. It tried to turn on cruise control but ended up disabling it. It didn't matter because I was a few minutes from home and was going to shut down anyway. But that's another scenario where it can get disabled.

Happened to me a couple days ago (4.3) when it shouldn't have (was on highway, canceled cruise and hit brakes --> disabled). I reported it to ownership as an FYI. It's the only time it's ever happened to me. I use CC pretty frequently.

I use CC a lot, I find it very responsive and very useful. Power consumption is always more efficient on CC than me driving.
Today I got the disabled message for the first time, I had turned right to enter a highway and signaling right tripped the CC stalk too and that's when the message came, I am thinking there's some safety check.
The position of the CC stalk can potentially speed u inadvertently.

Had it happen once on 3.x, reported it to Tesla, they couldn't find anything in the logs, and said "call us if it happens again". Happened when I attempted to cancel the cruise control by pushing on the stalk as I was nearing a town.