Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Cruise control fooled by shadow

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I was driving with cruise control on at 7 car lengths. I went under an underpass with a deep shadow....and the car slammed on the brakes. I think it thought the shadow was a car. The car behind me almost hit me. This makes me very reticent to use cruise control!
We had this happen while driving in Death Valley on road with large dips. The oncoming dip made the car thinks it was a target and stopped us flat. pretty scary .. Also had it happen under bridges with shadows fooling the camera.

I was driving with cruise control on at 7 car lengths. I went under an underpass with a deep shadow....and the car slammed on the brakes. I think it thought the shadow was a car. The car behind me almost hit me. This makes me very reticent to use cruise control!
Same thing happened to us driving through Death Valley. Lots of raod "dips" and the car saw the upcoming dip as a target and stopped us immediately. Also had it happen under bridges and when a car makes a left turn far ahead of us toward us oncoming. Plenty of room for a normal stop- but the care stopped short.

Just a few days ago, on 6/24/21, my Model 3's cruise control abruptly slammed the brakes three different times. Twice when cars turned left across my lane, but were well away from me and were no threat of a collision between me and them. Absolutely out of the blue, and fortunately I had no one close behind me for a possible rear-ender. The third time happened as I passed under a large road sign on a freeway while doing 70 mph. The cameras apparently saw that sign as a threat and slammed the brakes. This time there was a pickup truck behind me, and fairly close, so thankfully he was paying attention and didn't hit me. This makes me very leery about even using the cruise because its response is so unpredictable.

Reactions: cancoi
Why...are...we...still...discussing...this????? In every case of "phantom braking," there was the real possibility of a serious accident.

The risk to everyone who ISN'T driving a Tesla is just too great. I wish it would just stop.

I have FSD, the commute is 19.2 miles each way. I use it for about 15 highway miles and no sudden braking, passing numerous overpasses. I’ve used it on a trip to Vegas from LA, twice now, It slowed down once, but did not slam on brakes. This was done in all kinds of weather, including snow, because visibility got bad, when the window fogged up. No problem.

Have I had Sudden Braking? Yes, over the months of using it. Nothing, that scared the bejesus out of me.. yet. But it has worked. Obviously YMMV.

I just got back from my first 'shakedown' trip in my M3. 750 miles on a variety of different roads. Had several braking events. The first was on a divided highway with left turn lanes in which Teslavision interpreted a stop sign in the left turn lane as a stop sign for the highway and slammed the brakes on at 70 mph. I actually saw the superimposed stop line across the entire highway on the display. I had several aggressive phantom brake slowdowns on the interstate that were difficult to determine what conditions triggered them. Travel on undivided highways was an adventure. I believe the car interpreted shadows cast across my lane from oncoming tractor trailer units as obstructions. Also there were a few braking event on undivided highways on right hand sweepers when oncoming traffic was approaching.
FSD on curvy, windy, canyon roads is also a problem as the car seems to become confused and kicks out of FSD without warning.
My car is a May 2021 build with no radar and Teslavision only.
Do not interpret my comments as criticism or endorsements of Autopilot and FSD, just a report of what my observations are on my trip.

Reactions: alexcue
I have FSD, the commute is 19.2 miles each way. I use it for about 15 highway miles and no sudden braking, passing numerous overpasses. I’ve used it on a trip to Vegas from LA, twice now, It slowed down once, but did not slam on brakes. This was done in all kinds of weather, including snow, because visibility got bad, when the window fogged up. No problem.

Have I had Sudden Braking? Yes, over the months of using it. Nothing, that scared the bejesus out of me.. yet. But it has worked. Obviously YMMV.
I'm starting to think those with FSD don't experience these massive braking incidents. I've read so many of these stories on here on how someone was almost rear ended. I have no reason to doubt their encounters but I've NEVER read of someone getting rear ended because their autopilot slowed or slammed on the brakes. If there is any account of an actual accident please let me know.

Reactions: alexcue