Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Cruise Control Icons

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This is probably a dumb question and something I am missing on my side, but cant figure it out for the life of me.

I activated and used Cruise Control for the first time this weekend. After pushing the gear lever down, the little steering wheel icon appeared next to the gear selection, as well as the set speed next to the speed limit sign on the screen.

Is there a way to completely deactivate Cruise Control so that the Steering wheel icon and set speed are no longer there? They disappear when the speed is below 18 MPH, which makes sense since cruise control isnt available under that speed, but as soon as i go above 18MPH, the icon returns and the speed comes back. The car has been on/off multiple times since. I have tried pushing the gear lever up once and twice while stopped and driving and nothing seems to work.

Its almost as if once activating Cruise Control, the icons are always there now and it cant be completely deactivated.

Appreciate any thoughts or experiences.

The steering wheel icon appears (gray) when autosteer is available. It turns blue when autosteer is activated. If the steering wheel isn't displayed, the car cannot activate autosteer for various reasons: sensors obstructed, no lines on the road, etc. You cannot remove that icon from the screen, it provides important information.
The speed limit sign works in a similar way: it is shown black when traffic-aware cruise control is available, and a part of it turns blue when TACC is activated. Again, important information, you cannot remove it.
See the manual here in the autopilot section: Model 3 Owner's Manual | Tesla

Reactions: Jane4
The steering wheel icon appears (gray) when autosteer is available. It turns blue when autosteer is activated. If the steering wheel isn't displayed, the car cannot activate autosteer for various reasons: sensors obstructed, no lines on the road, etc. You cannot remove that icon from the screen, it provides important information.
The speed limit sign works in a similar way: it is shown black when traffic-aware cruise control is available, and a part of it turns blue when TACC is activated. Again, important information, you cannot remove it.
See the manual here in the autopilot section: Model 3 Owner's Manual | Tesla
Yes, I understand the function of each and what they show. I think my point was that for the first 5 weeks that I owned by car, before ever using Cruise Control/autosteer, those icons never appeared. Now that I've used cruise control/autosteer, those icons are there and don't go away. Its almost like once i 'activated' cruise control, its permanently activated for lack of a better word.

The car / cameras need to learn as you drive initially. After some amount of driving, the system then becomes available. I believe that is also explained in the manual.

Appreciate the help. Just would seem like a heck of a coincidence that the day I activate it initially is the same day that the car/cameras have learned my driving habits. Those icons were never there before.

Its not a big deal, just trying to educate myself.

Reactions: Jane4
Thank you. I definitely understand that. My question was more around why the Gray Icons were never there prior to this weekend when i used cruise control for the first time. If the gray icons just mean its available, wouldnt they have been there from day 1?

No, because the system was not available from day 1.

To answer your thread question, there is no way to remove those icons you are asking about. They will display as mentioned if the system is available. You never (ever ever ever) have to use it if you dont want to, but you are not able to remove them entirely.

Thank you. I definitely understand that. My question was more around why the Gray Icons were never there prior to this weekend when i used cruise control for the first time. If the gray icons just mean its available, wouldnt they have been there from day 1?
Another possible contributing factor: the car's firmware version. New cars appear* to roll out with a factory only firmware version and after a period of time (that varies greatly from car-to-car), it sends availability of the latest version to your car. It COULD be that the factory version withheld some of the functionality, including some of the icons and/or their normal display
*This is just my own theory based on my readings here and with helping friends with their new Teslas. No empirical data is inferred or implied. Your mileage may vary. Do not attempt these maneuvers yourself: professional drivers on closed course. Do not operate heavy machinery while taking this product.

There may also be a factor of you not having noticed the icons previously.

Reactions: GtiMart