Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Cruise control inappropriately slamming on brakes

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Quick Google search brings this up immediately

Of course, the blame in a phantom braking incident would likely fall upon drivers following too closely whereas intentional brake-checking would be treated differently
Seriously?!? That's your proof that this phantom braking CAUSES DEADLY ACCIDENTS? It's a blogger who posted a hyperbolic headline to get clicks by ASKING a question. I'm not going to waste my time watching the video where I'm sure all he does is pontificate with wild interpretations of "facts"

Listen: no one is saying that phantom braking isn't a problem. IMO, its a problem that is lessening over time and for that I am cautiously optimistic. By I (and many others) are sick of the Chicken Little cries that Tesla is allegedly causing another Jonestown.

Reactions: alexgr and GtiMart
Seriously?!? That's your proof that this phantom braking CAUSES DEADLY ACCIDENTS? It's a blogger who posted a hyperbolic headline to get clicks by ASKING a question. I'm not going to waste my time watching the video where I'm sure all he does is pontificate with wild interpretations of "facts"

Listen: no one is saying that phantom braking isn't a problem. IMO, its a problem that is lessening over time and for that I am cautiously optimistic. By I (and many others) are sick of the Chicken Little cries that Tesla is allegedly causing another Jonestown.

Wow, if that triggers you so much, I hope your not watching MSM these days!

I didn't say any of that. Knightshade said that he wasn't aware of any actual accidents attributed to phantom braking, I typed a few words into Google and that article from last year immediately popped up. I didn't even dig any further, just posted an example for people to interpret as they want.

InsideEVs is highly supportive of Tesla, the guy who made the videos is highly supportive of Tesla. I said even if phantom braking preceded an accident like this, it would likely be attributed to following too closely rather than the system braking because your following distance is supposed to give you room to deal with a person suddenly braking in front of you. I'm not sure what else you'd want, the overly-defensive response seems a bit misplaced.

Hi, first post here.

I'm having significant issues with the adaptive cruise control. There is a 2 lane road near me with a 50 limit, and I like to set the cruise to stop me speeding. However, on a couple off occasions the cruise control has hammered on the brakes when a truck has been coming the other way - despite being safely and completely in its own lane.

I have had the same thing on motorways; overtake something, then pull back into the middle lane with a lorry in the inside lane. The cruise control seems to think that I am going to drive into the lorry and, again, hammers on the brakes.

It is lucky that I haven't had anyone smash into the back of me. I've had to stop using cruise on 2 lane roads and hover my foot over the accelerator when anywhere near a lorry on the motorway in case it decides to randomly fire me through the windshield.

Am I alone in this?
Best advice is to learn the signs and be ready to touch the accelerator to override when TACC views a safe situation as a potentially dangerous one..

At least until Tesla improve TACC's recognition of safe situations where it currently overreacts.

I didn't say any of that.

Well, yes you did, right here (emphasis mine)

Where do you get the idea that sudden braking can't result in a deadly crash? You can type four words into Google and have a plethora of articles providing evidence to the contrary

Folks have been saying OMG AP BRAKING IS GONNA KILL SOMEONE SOON for years.

To my knowledge the # of actual accidents, let alone deaths, from this remains at 0.

That's not to say it's physically impossible or anything- but based on Teslas published data, driving on AP results in vastly lower accident rates than driving without it.

Does the published data compare freeway driving with AP on and AP off? Or is the published data a phony comparison of freeway driving with AP on versus driving on all streets, including surface streets where accidents occur more frequently? Given Tesla's general lack of ethics, I'm going to assume the latter. A system that repeatedly breaks hard on the freeway for no reason is extremely dangerous and not safer than manual driving.

Unfortunately, the witnesses of Tesla's foray into "self driving" software are likely dead. There are several companies pursuing serious self-driving technology, including Waymo and Apple, so folks should remain patient and stay safe.

Does the published data compare freeway driving with AP on and AP off? Or is the published data a phony comparison of freeway driving with AP on versus driving on all streets, including surface streets where accidents occur more frequently?

Neither.

Also your false dichotomy trick was a bit too obvious, try to argue dishonestly more subtly next time.

it compares ALL miles on AP (and as we all know AP activates just fine off of highways, and tons of folks use it that way even if it's not officially intended to be used there)

Apart from which, the difference in highway vs nonhighway accidents is MUCH lower than the difference between using AP in a Tesla and the overall accident rate of all cars.... so even if it was ENTIRELY comparing AP highway miles to non-highway (which again, it's not doing that as you suggested) it'd STILL show AP being safer than human driving alone.

Given Tesla's general lack of ethics

<citation needed>

, I'm going to assume

There's a saying about that :)

A system that repeatedly breaks hard on the freeway for no reason is extremely dangerous and not safer than manual driving.

<citation needed>

Where's the evidence of the "deadly accidents" people keep suggesting this causes?

Is it zero and only in your imagination? Seems like it.

BTW I just did a roughly 1000 mile roadtrip over the holiday. 98% of the miles on highway AP.

Zero OMG HARD POINTLESS BRAKING THAT WOULD CAUSE AN ACCIDENT events happened.

Unfortunately, the witnesses of Tesla's foray into "self driving" software are likely dead

<citation needed>

Last edited:
Does the published data compare freeway driving with AP on and AP off? Or is the published data a phony comparison of freeway driving with AP on versus driving on all streets, including surface streets where accidents occur more frequently? Given Tesla's general lack of ethics, I'm going to assume the latter.
Your paranoid conspiracy theory is not any kind of "proof".

Given Bill Gates "general lack of ethics", I guess you also believe vaccines have some 5G chips Bill Gates puts in them.

Last edited:
Reactions: Phlier
Quick Google search brings this up immediately

Far as I can see, this wasn't a deadly crash- it doesn't mention anyone dying at all. Or even being significantly injured.

It does seem like everyone is tailgating here as you suggest since multiple cars all rear-ended each other from the lead car braking.

And of course it was on a road AP is explicitly not intended for, though as discussed lots of folks turn it on on such roads anyway.

Hi, first post here.

I'm having significant issues with the adaptive cruise control. There is a 2 lane road near me with a 50 limit, and I like to set the cruise to stop me speeding. However, on a couple off occasions the cruise control has hammered on the brakes when a truck has been coming the other way - despite being safely and completely in its own lane.

I have had the same thing on motorways; overtake something, then pull back into the middle lane with a lorry in the inside lane. The cruise control seems to think that I am going to drive into the lorry and, again, hammers on the brakes.

It is lucky that I haven't had anyone smash into the back of me. I've had to stop using cruise on 2 lane roads and hover my foot over the accelerator when anywhere near a lorry on the motorway in case it decides to randomly fire me through the windshield.

Am I alone in this?
Hi, I just got my Model 3 on February 26, and the Autopilot and Adaptive Cruise Control brake constantly for no reason. I recalibrated my cameras hoping that would solve the issue, but it is the same. Currently, neither AP or CC can be used - totally worthless and kinda dangerous.

Reactions: sckor and Stan930
This is true for me also. I wonder if there's some setting that makes a difference.
This is true for me also. I wonder if there's some setting that makes a difference.
I would like to know what your settings are. I've tried changing settings, recalibrating my cameras, and rebooting, but my Tesla will brake for no reason 8 times in 20 miles. These features are unusable to me until I can find a fix. Suggestions welcome.

I would like to know what your settings are. I've tried changing settings, recalibrating my cameras, and rebooting, but my Tesla will brake for no reason 8 times in 20 miles. These features are unusable to me until I can find a fix. Suggestions welcome.
Is it the same 8 times on the same 20 miles? I have a particular stretch of my 22 mile commute where it ALWAYS brakes in the same spots. Every. Friggin. Time. Annoying, yes, but I have learned to be ready for it and quickly press the accelerator to overcome until I am past it. Is this right? No, but I don't have time to fight Tesla on it. Other than these spots, I really don't have any more phantom braking experiences.

If your phantom braking happens all the time on a variety of roads, then I would schedule a service visit

As far as there being some magic setting, one doesn't exist. Although now that I write this, I am going to test on my drive home whether this still happens when I just have TACC engaged (and not Autosteer). (Side note: on one of the spots, I already tested whether having EAP off makes a difference since it is usually on at it but it didn't make any difference.)

Reactions: Stan930 and GtiMart
Is it the same 8 times on the same 20 miles? I have a particular stretch of my 22 mile commute where it ALWAYS brakes in the same spots. Every. Friggin. Time. Annoying, yes, but I have learned to be ready for it and quickly press the accelerator to overcome until I am past it. Is this right? No, but I don't have time to fight Tesla on it. Other than these spots, I really don't have any more phantom braking experiences.

If your phantom braking happens all the time on a variety of roads, then I would schedule a service visit

As far as there being some magic setting, one doesn't exist. Although now that I write this, I am going to test on my drive home whether this still happens when I just have TACC engaged (and not Autosteer). (Side note: on one of the spots, I already tested whether having EAP off makes a difference since it is usually on at it but it didn't make any difference.)
Thanks for the feedback. Will be taking it in next Tuesday. I will try disabling Autosteer to see if it is somehow intervening in Cruise Control.

Thanks for your reply. Here in Southern Arizona, our roads are pretty horrible, so that is adding to my problem. I hope my visit to the service center can at least get me some decent cruise control. Our CrossTrek had excellent adaptive cruise control that only rarely made any mistakes, so I'm hoping I can get the same from the Model 3.

Thanks for your reply. Here in Southern Arizona, our roads are pretty horrible, so that is adding to my problem. I hope my visit to the service center can at least get me some decent cruise control. Our CrossTrek had excellent adaptive cruise control that only rarely made any mistakes, so I'm hoping I can get the same from the Model 3.
Other than the isolated incidents I mentioned, AP works flawlessly for me. IMO, it is the single best thing about the car (besides the whole "electric car" thing...)