Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Cruise control no longer safe

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Aye, you're probably right gents. I was only throwing the lack of front left cam in the pot for discussion, was all.

I found this explanation of the function of each cam and sonar which seems to support your arguments.

Eight cameras: The four forward-facing cameras on the windshield of the car serve as a backup to the radar. The cameras consist of a narrow camera that captures footage 250m in front, a main camera that captures 150m in front, a wide-angle camera that captures 60m in front, and a camera that captures footage 80m in front and to the side of the car. The wide-angle camera is designed to read road signs and traffic lights, allowing the car to react accordingly, however, there is debate over whether this feature is enabled in cars with Autopilot 2.0 hardware. A pair of rear cameras captures footage up to 100 meters to the rear and the rear sides of the car.

Sonar: A 360-degree, ultrasonic sonar detects obstacles in an eight-meter radius around the car. The ultrasonic sensors can spot objects like a child or a dog, and work at any speed. This feature can also detect objects in blind spots and assist the car when automatically switching lanes.

Attachments

• autopilotsensors.png
    autopilotsensors.png
    126.2 KB · Views: 52
Reactions: Battpower
However, I noticed that while I was overtaking the lorry, its depiction on the screen moved from the far left lane to the middle lane and went red as I was overtaking (the lorry itself remained in the far left Lane). Having noticed this it happened quite a lot

Thanks

Yep - this is a constant issue with me. The depiction of the lorry jumps around between its actual position and the middle lane. Sometimes when pulling in from outside lane, to middle lane with a lorry in the inside lane I get a blindspot warning. Seems to be worse when there is spray but basically the system is full of bugs that seem never to get fixed.

Reactions: Wol747
I drove about 500 miles this week, nearly all motorways. After reading this thread, I kept an eye on things - the nasty braking is totally related to those high sided vehicles jumping lanes or dramatically moving in the lane they're in.

I didn't see spray or shadows making much difference, but it was consistent enough with wagons that I could demonstrate it on regular occasions to my passenger.

Is this just a RHD issue, or it does it happen on LHD cars?

Christmas Day round trip of 160 miles on quiet roads. One fairly gentle PB on 2 way road on the way back in the dark when there were oncoming vehicles on a bend. Only passed one curtain sided vehicle on the M4. No problem. But, as I was leaving M4 speed restricted road works as I was winding TACC up to 70 mph, I experienced sudden PB which dropped my speed to about 40 before I got my foot on the gas pedal! It was dark, the road was quiet but there was a beam of light across the motorway illuminating the end of works signs in the central reservation. Might have been this that triggered the PB. No other obvious trigger for it.

I did about 150 motorway miles today in all sorts of conditions- dark and raining, bright low sunshine, snow, sleet....I had it all! I used TACC for most of the miles and didn't have a single PB even when passing curtainsiders with flapping straps. At one point there was a plonker in a high Transit blocking lane 3 and a curtainsider in lane 1. I fully expected TACC to crap itself, but it sailed through the middle (not that clever on my behalf, but I was expecting it to glitch and was covering all controls).

I also did about 70 miles with TACC and Autosteer (I don't have FSD). Again, it seemed to work absolutely fine. I wish that I had lane change on Autosteer!

For reference, half of the trip took place without the offside repeater camera (I was going to the SC to get it replaced) and half with it working. I was on 20200.48.26

I also did about 70 miles with TACC and Autosteer (I don't have FSD). Again, it seemed to work absolutely fine. I wish that I had lane change on Autosteer!

You would think that when using Autopilot that when you use the indicators it would diss-engage Autopilot until you are in the new lane and the indicators are off it would automatically re-engage Autopilot. Surely not difficult to do in such a high-tech car??

If you really want to dis-engage Autopilot then move the lever up or use the brakes...

You would think that when using Autopilot that when you use the indicators it would diss-engage Autopilot until you are in the new lane and the indicators are off it would automatically re-engage Autopilot. Surely not difficult to do in such a high-tech car??

If you really want to dis-engage Autopilot then move the lever up or use the brakes...

Autosteer with Auto Lane Change is part of FSD. You indicate and the car then checks, moves into the new lane and Autosteers in that lane. Common plebs (like me) that haven't paid for FSD dont get the fancy stuff. in non-FSD cars you indicate and that cancels Autosteer,

This limitation is probably a bit of a money-spinner. I am sure there are a fair few people that have forked out for EAP/FSD just to get auto lane change because of this annoyance.

Reactions: browellm
Auto lane change is a nice feature but it comes with a downside; when you come to a roundabout you need to disengage AP. Other than disengaging both AP & and TACC by flicking the stalk up, there is no other calm seamless way to do it. Wrestling with the wheel is a nonsense.
In my Ioniq, Lane Keep was at best mediocre but at least indicating temporarily disabled it which was fine on roundabouts.

Reactions: akenham