Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Cruise Control Not Available (Autopilot too)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I started experiencing this on Friday after getting my car back from the service department. It worked on the way home, but later that night it would not. I called Tesla and they took logs for the local service center. We verified the sensors were clean and rebooted the car. The service center reviewed them and determined I needed to bring my car in for calibration on the following Wednesday. Meanwhile cruise control (and of course autopilot) would not work. We drove a 250 mile trip, so this was quite annoying. Long story short it started working again on Sunday evening.

It has to have been software related and not hardware right? Anyone else experienced a 2-3 day blackout on autonomous features like this?

This has been happening to me intermittently for months now. Waiting impatiently for a Ranger visit. Tesla did some sort of reboot remotely (I've done both the hard/soft reboots myself several times) and the frequency is less now (like they increased the tolerance or something?) but still very annoying. I really feel like I'm driving naked when the AP and sensors aren't working!

It happens to mine intermittently. I was getting it a lot after an upgrade. Now I got it 2x in the last month or so. Only way to "fix" it for me is to get out of the car and get back in. Weird. Sucks when it happens on a leg of a long trip. Once I saw it pop up and immediately go away. But other than that once it pops up it's stuck there till I get out of the car. Took it in for calibration. But still happened after that too.

Did you get this? I've been getting it off and on for a few weeks. Called Tesla Service twice and have never heard back.

IMG_0408.JPG

Happens to me quite a bit. While seated in the car foot on the brake - go to control settings and press the e-brake button then the "power off" button. Remove your foot from the brake. Wait a full 90 seconds and press the brake and the car will restart and you should be good to go. This usually fixes it for me. Sometimes, I have to get out and use disposable wet kleenex wipes to wipe down the front radar display and then reboot and everything works.

The one guaranteed fix appears to be to get out of the car, lock it and walk away for a few minutes. When you come back, it should definitely work. I really can't figure out what the problem is. I doubt its a hardware calibration issue as the problem can be reliably fixed through the above methods.

I have experienced this a few times. Usually (I finally realized) after I've been parked facing the bright sun. After starting and driving away, it remains in effect for the duration of the drive session. To clear it, I have to park not facing the sun, get out, then back in and drive away. Very infrequent for me though, once every few weeks.

Did you get this? I've been getting it off and on for a few weeks. Called Tesla Service twice and have never heard back.

View attachment 110870

Yes, I received this if I clicked it twice to activate autopilot. If I clicked it once it was 'Cruise Not Available'.

- - - Updated - - -

The service center called to service the appointment from when I originally logged the issue. The tech reviewed the logs and determined that even though it is working again the issue could keep coming back, and the resolution was to have the radar recalibrated. I have an appointment scheduled a couple weeks out.

View attachment 110870
Yes, that is what I've been getting - kind of getting the runaround from Tesla on this issue. They said it could be software related so they disabled all of my cruise/AP systems for a while (about a week) then reactivated them. It's been better but still happens from time to time (I would say 3-4 times per week now vs 3-4 times a day). Still annoying and doesn't seem to be dependant on the cleanliness of the front sensors/radar. My hunch is that the radar or front camera are out of alignment and Tesla just reduced the error tolerance somehow... just a hunch.

Same occurrences here. Was off for 3 days 2 weeks ago and then 2 evenings ago. Radar unit and camera window clean. Even a software update was installed during the first off period but no differences. A reboot of systems did not help.
I did have this problem in October and service re-calibrated radar unit.

Yep I still get this message daily and its damn annoying, seems to be worse since the last firmware update. I do the power off thing and normally I get it back for the rest of the drive. But then end of day I get in the car and its back.

If its a camera calibration issue then is there a way we can re-initiate that process or do the service centers have the process yet?

Yep I still get this message daily and its damn annoying, seems to be worse since the last firmware update. I do the power off thing and normally I get it back for the rest of the drive. But then end of day I get in the car and its back.

If its a camera calibration issue then is there a way we can re-initiate that process or do the service centers have the process yet?
I had similar flaky behavior but after installing 17.5.28 my TACC has 100% failed. Multiple 2+ minutes "car off" resets: no change. Multiple two button reboots: no change.

Called Tesla Service (option #2) and after two conversations (nice guy, I think really did work my problem and it took some time to get answers) they said I require a service center visit to "recalibrate cameras". They did squeeze me into a slot for service the day before I have a 1400 mile drive (!!!) so I am hopeful this will resolve the issue.

• Informative
Reactions: croman and NicB72
I had similar flaky behavior but after installing 17.5.28 my TACC has 100% failed. Multiple 2+ minutes "car off" resets: no change. Multiple two button reboots: no change.

Called Tesla Service (option #2) and after two conversations (nice guy, I think really did work my problem and it took some time to get answers) they said I require a service center visit to "recalibrate cameras". They did squeeze me into a slot for service the day before I have a 1400 mile drive (!!!) so I am hopeful this will resolve the issue.

My car is booked in for end of the month for a camera re-calibration - fingers crossed that fixes it :(

I have had TACC become unavailable a couple of times in fog and heavy spray off the road surface on the highway. It came back later in the drive when conditions improved.

Haven't experienced the facing-the-sun issue, but then again, I live in the UK!

I'm on AP1 with a 2016 facelift car.

Happens once a month on the newer ms. Reboot both screens, park car, reboot second time, pray, continue trip with fingers crossed. Tesla is clueless and claims that the logs show nothing. Have simply accepted this flaky behavior as part of the tesla experience.