Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

cruise control not changing speed

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I set the cruise control on a 65 mph speed zone. and it does the 5mph over that I set it to, therefore it's cruising at 70mph. When I drive it to a lower speed zone like 55mph. The cruise control does not adjust down.

Is there a setting for this to make it lower automatically?

I set the cruise control on a 65 mph speed zone. and it does the 5mph over that I set it to, therefore it's cruising at 70mph. When I drive it to a lower speed zone like 55mph. The cruise control does not adjust down.

Is there a setting for this to make it lower automatically?
It will adjust down automatically, but it takes a while and goes very slowly. I am not satisfied with the way it does it.

If the lower speed zone has two speed limit signs, the car will ignore the first one. It will register the 2nd one and then after some delay it will slow down to it very slowly. It has always been like this and I don't like it either, so I usually take over and tap on the brake or up on the gear stalk to disable AP or FSD and slow down myself quicker. Another way to try is to roll down the right thumb wheel to set a lower speed, but it also takes forever to slow down to that speed. I wish Tesla would give us the option to slow down to the speed limit right at the sign and not 1/2 mile past it.

It will adjust down automatically, but it takes a while and goes very slowly. I am not satisfied with the way it does it.

If the lower speed zone has two speed limit signs, the car will ignore the first one. It will register the 2nd one and then after some delay it will slow down to it very slowly. It has always been like this and I don't like it either, so I usually take over and tap on the brake or up on the gear stalk to disable AP or FSD and slow down myself quicker. Another way to try is to roll down the right thumb wheel to set a lower speed, but it also takes forever to slow down to that speed. I wish Tesla would give us the option to slow down to the speed limit right at the sign and not 1/2 mile past it.
It still didn't adjust even after a long while even going up hill. So I did what I read others have done and tap on the speed limit or speed max on the display. it lowered it and went pretty quick.

It isn't always accurate in catching speed limit changes. It sounds like it's just not picking up on the first one and android04 is right - it slowly adjusts speed (too slowly for my comfort). I'm on FSD beta and it's even worse about blowing through speed zones. I usually have to take it out of AP then re-engage just the TACC to get it to slow down fast enough.

If you pass a new speed sign you can tap on the speed sign on the display and the cruise will update to use the new speed plus whatever % you have it set to.

This is another great example of undiscoverable user interfaces. Never in a million years would I have thought to tap on the speed sign on the display to force an update, but there you go. Someone on these forums mentioned it.

I normally only do this when I am speeding up though (ie going from a 50 zone to a 70 zone). If I am coming up on a slower zone I will scroll the wheel down manually since, as others have said, it sucks at doing this on its own.

• Informative
Reactions: cleverscreenam