Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Cruise control on autopilot on AP1

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My question is how do I get my cruise control speed to change with the speed limit. So when my cruise control is set to 5mph above the speed limit and I'm on a 65mph road it will set to 70mph. However when the road changes to 60mph the car doesn't slow down to 65mph or if the speed increases to 70mph the car doesn't automatically go to 75mph.

Is there a way to make the car change its speed as the speed limit sign changes?

When you are on auto steer on a non freeway, max speed will be limited to limit plus 10kmph. It will slow down to that if you are enter an area with a lower speed limit. However, it would not speed up. You can set it to show a warning when you exceed limit by a threshold but I don’t think there is a setting that will auto change you speed up.

if you are using cruise only, it won’t speed up or slow down. The speed limit is ignored.

Tesla speed limit database is pretty bad, don’t rely on it too much.

When you are on auto steer on a non freeway, max speed will be limited to limit plus 10kmph. It will slow down to that if you are enter an area with a lower speed limit. However, it would not speed up. You can set it to show a warning when you exceed limit by a threshold but I don’t think there is a setting that will auto change you speed up.

if you are using cruise only, it won’t speed up or slow down. The speed limit is ignored.

Tesla speed limit database is pretty bad, don’t rely on it too much.

And just to clarify (I hope), "non freeway" means a road that has no center divider, which might be called something like an expressway or various other terms. Also, I have noticed that the system can take 20 or 30 seconds to recognize this situation and make this adjustment, so it is best not to rely on it if the road conditions change drastically when the limit changes. E.g., in one location near me, a modern divided highway crosses an old bridge with no median, so the highway speed limits drop rather abruptly from 55 or 65 to 40 or 45 as the road enters the bridge. The bridge has 4 narrow lanes. The higher speeds are unwise, so I have found myself cutting my speed without waiting for AP to do it.