Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Cruise control on non-autopilot new car?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just curious, if I were to order a new MS without autopilot, does it come with normal dumb cruise control? Site doesn't make clear if it has it or not. Parents want one, but won't really use any of the auto-pilot features as they drive pretty locally. Thanks.

If you do not order the Autopilot Convenience Features Option which comes with TACC, then your Model S will still have regular cruise control. It will just maintain one speed when left on its own. It will continue to work if your sensors become mucked up with snow, ice, dirt, whereas TACC can become inoperable in that situation (if the radar and sensors are obscured ((BTW this is true of all such systems not just the Tesla TACC, it has happened to my Volvo Adaptive Cruise Control in heavy snow and slush, I was not using ACC but the Volvo warned me that it was inoperable)). Hope this helps?

the owner's manual does a really bad job at clearly describing what you still get if you have a recent car (i.e. one equipped with the autopilot hardware), but do not order the Autopilot Convenience Features option (i.e. AP software)

while these features are not part of basic cruise control itself, from what I understand a new Model S without the AP Convenience Features option will still have these features:
- Lane Assist
- Collision Avoidance Assist
- Speed Assist

in addition to the basic 'dumb' cruise control.

I'm actually a little disappointed my car did not come with the sensors for ACC. Auto Pilot is fun, but ACC is really the kicker. It reduces the risk of typical collisions by a lot. Emergency braking can save you from an accident. I would love to pay to upgrade my car if that was possible.

the owner's manual does a really bad job at clearly describing what you still get if you have a recent car (i.e. one equipped with the autopilot hardware), but do not order the Autopilot Convenience Features option (i.e. AP software)

while these features are not part of basic cruise control itself, from what I understand a new Model S without the AP Convenience Features option will still have these features:
- Lane Assist
- Speed Assist

That would not be my understanding. Lane assist and speed assist are clearly autopilot functions. I'm unclear on the collision avoidance assist. Certainly the AEB - automatic emergency breaking is a "non-autopilot" function.

- Lane Assist
- Speed Assist

I don't know what the owners manual says for the current production cars, but I think the Tesla website Model S description pages cover everything.
If you do not buy the AP option, you get the standard cruise control that has come with the cars since the beginning, plus newer features like Automatic Emergency Braking, Lane Departure Warning, Speed Limit Display, and Blind Spot Warning.
If you buy the AP option you get TACC, Lane Keeping (Auto Steer) , Automatic Lane Change, Automatic high/low beam headlights, and Automatic Parallel Parking. More AP features are definitely coming. When, I don't know.
Most of the AP features are listed here Model S Design Studio | Tesla Motors
There are two other AP items that are not mentioned on that page. AP includes the TACC (Traffic Aware Cruise Control) and Automatic high/low beam headlights. That is stated on the specifications page Model S | Tesla Motors which you get to by clicking "View All" on the Design Studio page.
Quote:
"Autopilot Convenience Features add
Traffic-aware cruise control
Automatic lane centering and changing
Parking space detection
Self parallel parking
Automatic high/low beam headlights"
-----------------
I agree that Tesla could do a better job of clearly describing and presenting the AP features. Note that I list two URLs you need to view to get the complete description of that AP includes. Also, Tesla does not use consistent terminology when describing AP.

I don't know what the owners manual says for the current production cars, but I think the Tesla website Model S description pages cover everything. [...]
In the Driver Assistance Features section of the latest owners manual (document date 10/28/15) for cars with v7.0 uses the following terminology:

(1) "... Model S vehicles equipped with Driver Assistance components...", and
(2) "... Model S vehicles equipped with the optional Autopilot Tech Package"

i.e. If I'm not mistaken, (1) means cars equipped with the AP hardware, and (2) means cars with the optional add-on AP software, aka "Autopilot Convenience Features option in the Design Studio.

Quote (bold emphasis mine):

"These safety features are available on all Model S vehicles equipped with Driver Assistance components:
• Lane Assist (see Lane Assist on page 77).
• Collision Avoidance Assist (see Collision Avoidance Assistance on page 79).
• Speed Assist (see Speed Assist on page 82).

These convenience features, designed to reduce driver workload, are available only if Model S is equipped with the optional Autopilot Tech Package:
• Traffic-Aware Cruise control (see Traffic-Aware Cruise Control on page 66).
• Autosteer (see Autosteer on page 71).
• Auto Lane Change (see Auto Lane Change on page 73)
• Autopark (see Autopark on page 75).
• Auto High Beam (see High Beam Headlights on page 50)."

That would not be my understanding. Lane assist and speed assist are clearly autopilot functions. I'm unclear on the collision avoidance assist. Certainly the AEB - automatic emergency breaking is a "non-autopilot" function.

Lane Assist as defined in the manual includes
• Lane Departure Warning
• Side Collision Warning
Unlike Autopilot functions like Autosteer, these are passive warnings only, so it makes sense they still can be included in cars without the optional full-AP package

Speed Assist is simply the forward-looking camera detecting speed limit signs and displaying the speed sign icon on the dashboard display and providing a warning if the limit is exceeded. So again this seems to be a passive driver assist, separate from any active control as part of the optional Autopilot package, or even basic dumb cruise control. As mentioned elsewhere, there's no mention at all in the owners manual about basic dumb cruise control.