Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Cruise Control Randomly not working

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
About 1 out of 20 times I drive, my cruise control/AP won't work. The only message I get is "Cruise Control is not available" and the error beep. A double nipple reset (or whatever it's called) doesn't correct it. I have to part the car, get out, let it lock, then get back in for it to reset. Anyone else have this problem?

I have this problem going on currently — The second time it has happened. The first time, it corrected itself quickly but this time, it has not been working since this morning at about 6 am. I tried to reset it, turn all drivers assistance features on and off, format USB, turn sentry on/off, power off, walk away, etc. I just left the car for two hours, unplugged, so it would turn off and hopefully reset the FSD computer but it did not work. I made an appointment with Tesla but the soonest appointment at my "local" service center is not until December 29th. I have to drive 500 miles on Friday so I'm hoping it fixes itself...

I have this problem going on currently — The second time it has happened. The first time, it corrected itself quickly but this time, it has not been working since this morning at about 6 am. I tried to reset it, turn all drivers assistance features on and off, format USB, turn sentry on/off, power off, walk away, etc. I just left the car for two hours, unplugged, so it would turn off and hopefully reset the FSD computer but it did not work. I made an appointment with Tesla but the soonest appointment at my "local" service center is not until December 29th. I have to drive 500 miles on Friday so I'm hoping it fixes itself...
ooof. Good luck! Keep us posted.

I got a message from Tesla service after they did a remote troubleshooting diagnostic. Apparently, there's a known bug in the vehicle initialization protocols that occasionally result in the driver assist features not working. I was told there was nothing wrong with my hardware. It's a known error that they're currently working on, and the fix will be in an upcoming over-the-air update.

I got a message from Tesla service after they did a remote troubleshooting diagnostic. Apparently, there's a known bug in the vehicle initialization protocols that occasionally result in the driver assist features not working. I was told there was nothing wrong with my hardware. It's a known error that they're currently working on, and the fix will be in an upcoming over-the-air update.
Thanks! I left the car unplugged last night to let it go into a full shutdown and left the USB drive unplugged. It seems to have fixed the problem, for now.
I never heard back from Tesla service after they were running “remote diagnostics” on the car. So, it indeed seems like a bug. the first time this happened to my car, I was given all the same platitudes by Tesla service: “sometimes these things just happen for no reason.” And “did you try resetting it?” Turns out, “resetting it,” or letting it turn on/off, was closer to the fix than I thought. Just glad to have these features back.

Reactions: DblOSmith
Having this problem now.
Ughh I’m so sorry. The best solution I’ve found for this is to just let the car go through a power down cycle. Go into the Safety menu and hit Power Off and wait about 3 minutes in the car. Then put your foot on the brake to turn it back on and immediately hold both scroll wheels and the brake pedal down until the screen resets. Then try again. This seemed to do the trick for me the last time it happened.

Ughh I’m so sorry. The best solution I’ve found for this is to just let the car go through a power down cycle. Go into the Safety menu and hit Power Off and wait about 3 minutes in the car. Then put your foot on the brake to turn it back on and immediately hold both scroll wheels and the brake pedal down until the screen resets. Then try again. This seemed to do the trick for me the last time it happened.
I’m having the same issue. Started randomly yesterday and no matter what I do it still won’t let me use cruise control or auto steer. Super frustrating tried everything you guys are talking about in the thread and nothing works. The sensors seem to be good. Car is clean. Have no idea… I have a 2022 model X long range.

About 1 out of 20 times I drive, my cruise control/AP won't work. The only message I get is "Cruise Control is not available" and the error beep. A double nipple reset (or whatever it's called) doesn't correct it. I have to part the car, get out, let it lock, then get back in for it to reset. Anyone else have this problem?
I’m having the same issue. Started randomly yesterday and no matter what I do it still won’t let me use cruise control or auto steer. Super frustrating tried everything you guys are talking about in the thread and nothing works. The sensors seem to be good. Car is clean. Have no idea… I have a 2022 model X long range.

This is agony. You don’t realize how much you rely on EAP and AP until the car basically locks you out. If you haven’t already, try to turn off mobile access, turn off wifi, sentry, and leave it unplugged and locked overnight. See if that does anything.
If you haven’t already, definitely book a service appointment. According to Murphy’s law, as soon as the service appointment is booked or is approaching, EAP and AP will be restored.
Another suggestion is to call your local service center and just key through the menu until you talk to a live person. The first time this happened to me, the person was able to get into my car from her end and do some sort of reboot. Other times, I have called and the person on the other end claims there is no way for them to get access to my car. It’s such a mixed bag. Memorize the numbers you have to press to get a live person and keep calling until you get someone who can help. I’m sorry this is happening to you, it’s the worst.

What software are you on? 2022.36.2?

Don't know if anyone else has noticed this pattern. I get DI_a175 "Cruise control unavailable" before (i.e. during pre-heating) or after a supercharger session (i.e. after the car has heated up the battery) - so my current theory is it's related to the car/autopilot computer overheating. Anyone else seeing this pattern?

Similar problems have been plaguing me. Since a SC addressed the heat pump issue a few weeks ago, my autopilot has been sporadically ceasing to function while driving. The visualization then stops displaying traffic signs and speed limits. It will then function for a day or two. It's pretty peculiar. I experienced a full day where the following did not function in the middle of this (autopilot, ABS brakes, stability control, regen, power steering). It's been driving ok for the previous few days, but I'm taking it to the SC. I'm hoping they can identify a problem and solve it.

Reactions: duncans
Don’t know if it’s the same of different but I had a similar issue several weeks ago. I was also getting intermittent issues that a door was left open. I think it was a software bug making the car think a door was open and thus disabling CC. Seemed to resolve itself with the last firmware update.

Don't know if anyone else has noticed this pattern. I get DI_a175 "Cruise control unavailable" before (i.e. during pre-heating) or after a supercharger session (i.e. after the car has heated up the battery) - so my current theory is it's related to the car/autopilot computer overheating. Anyone else seeing this pattern?
I used to get that error about a year ago. When I asked, they said it was a known problem and would be fixed with an upcoming software update already in progress. I haven't had that error in almost a year.

I'm getting a similar issue - all the cameras are blank (most of the time, seems sometimes they're randomly working). I don't have Sentry, car thinks it's miles away from parked position and doesn't update position when driving. Cruise control/autosteer doesn't function. I've tried opening/shutting all doors. I've tried a two button reset. SC contacted.